Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Thoughts on the Ending/Speculation (SPOILERS)

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

The ending to Lords of Shadow is full of mind exploding twists and fan-service

What did you guys think of the ending? Would you say the other Castlevanias can somewhat fit in the same universe as this game? If not, how do you feel about the reboot of the franchise? How do you feel about the possible sequel the ending alludes to with it's new setting (and most likely different game mechanics) 
    The ending has me very interested in the sequel. I totally did not expect those things to happen. However, the sequel seems like it is going to be a strange direction for the franchise. For some reason all I can think of is Darksiders if they did go that route.  
    Thoughts, GB?
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By defaulttag

Here is a link to the ending and a discussion from gameinformer:   

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I just finished the game, and that really took me for quite the turn.  

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By defaulttag
    @Bobby_The_Great: I agree with all that. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @Bobby_The_Great: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow takes place in 2035 and 2036, and from what it looks like from the city at the end of LoS it was a little earlier than that. It's definitely doable, as long as they keep it out of the city. But even if they did the city areas in a tasteful way, I wouldn't mind.
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @xyzygy:
    True, those games did take place in the future. 

I suppose if the did something akin to Darksiders (where the demons have taken over and vegetation and ruins have changed the city) that would be a cool idea. And the church itself was still very gothic looking, so I think it can be very doable. It's just going to take some creative work and effort on the art team to make it happen. Aslo, it's pretty awesome to actually PLAY as Dracula as opposed to hunting him down.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Oni

Post-credits scene redeemed the game for me. I thought all the chapters after the second lord were very mediocre, chapters IV-VIII is really where the game shines, in the gothic castles. But that end scene, holy shit. Slogra in the background, epic Dracula reveal, Zobek (how the hell is he alive and immortal?!), Satan (took me a while to wrap my head around that), it was awesome. I hope the second game makes some improvements to the basics (level design in spots was awful) and has a better story throughout the game, but I definitely want to see them run with this storyline.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By VanderSEXXX

To be honest it can actually be canon to the previous franchises if they choose to from this game's ending.  

Well for a start this can actually be a good anchor to explain why Dracula has been incredibly powerful and the main villain of the franchise making it canon to the other Castlevania titles except Lament of Innocence. Since they stated this is a reboot to the franchise this puts out Leon Belmont as the 1st wielder of the Vampire Killer, and instead puts Gabriel as the legendary vampire slayer that gave it's name and starts the Belmont line (without Marie Belmont though I don't know how). Though they will change what has been happening to Dracula if ever they will begin to follow this timeline as it will seem that Simon, Christopher, Trevor, and Richter Belmont is actually fighting and defeating their old ancestor and soon be again bested by Julius Belmont in 1999, then soon alongside Soma Cruz in the Dawn of Sorrow and Aria of Sorrow series.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By fini_fly

I thought it was a fitting ending to the game. Quite the twist that I didn't see coming at all. 

And I was thinking that just because they show a modern setting doesn't mean that they cannot go back to a gothic style castle in a future game. But it would difficult to see a sequel to this game in a modern setting.

Shami_Sansi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By Shami_Sansi

I was told beforehand that the ending was epic so i thought i wouldn't feel the same because i was expecting something to happen. I was wrong. 

I was completely satisfied after defeating the last boss. I totally wasn't expecting the Epilogue.   A modern day setting would work very well i think. It did for Darksiders. Although this game had a very lonely feel to it. Gabriel never really had any companions for too long and was on his own for most of the game, Which i liked about it,.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Bouke
    @Shami_Sansi: I wasn't expecting an epiloque either and was just getting a drink then when i came back the credits ended and the movie started that was amazing! I never thought it would be in present day (or something)  because the rest of the game was set so long ago. Even when i saw Gabriel as an old man it didn't click with me and i was still expecting a medieval setting. I would definitly play a sequal and probably buy the game on release day!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.