Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Capcom

Company »

Capcom is a well-known Japanese game developer and publisher, formerly known as Capsule Computing. They are responsible for such franchises as Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Onimusha.

Which dormant Capcom IP would you like to see get a AAA revival?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Which dormant Capcom IP would you like to see get a AAA revival? (166 votes)

Bionic Commando 4%
    Breath of Fire 8%
    Darkstalkers 4%
    Dark Void 1%
    Dino Crisis 19%
    Dragon's Dogma 20%
    Final Fight 1%
    Lost Planet 5%
    Mega Man 4%
    Okami 8%
    Onimusha 5%
    Power Stone 1%
    Strider 1%
    Viewtiful Joe 10%
    Others 8%

After the success of REmake2 and DMCV, Capcom expressed wanting to "revive dormant IPs." Which series would like to see return the most, especially if it was going to be a AAA production.

• 
    Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think Dino Crisis is probably the most ripe for an RE2/3 style remake, but I would also be into a new Onimusha game too after playing the original for the first time after that re-release(though I would hope it doesn't end up becoming just another souls-like).

I guess it might not be considered a dead franchise yet, but also I would say Dead Rising. It's been 4 years since 4 and it doesn't seem like there is any Dead Rising thing in active development. I think it would benefit from a fresh start seeing how 3 and especially 4 stripped out the elements that made those games unique but still ultimately failed to bring in a new audience(which I like to call "Ubisoft-ing"...I miss Splinter Cell...).

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard choice, that poll.

I want a proper new Breath of Fire, as well as a new Darkstalkers, but if we're talking big AAA production values, I'd want that directed at a sequel to Dragon's Dogma. Still kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet, but considering Capcom's recent successes, maybe we'll see them start throwing money around at a bunch of projects.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think it’d be cool to see what they could do with Final Fight. I LOVED that game in arcades, but it doesn’t hold up, gameplay-wise. Previous efforts to revive it have been wastes...

I think going back to the drawing board with Dead Rising could be cool. DR1 was fantastic and DR3 managed to bring out some amazingly stupid/fun coop moments. I laughed with friends A LOT while playing Dead Rising 3.

My only fear is that they’d make Dead Rising a survival game skinned with zombies.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@nutter: @panfoot: I debated putting Dead Rising in the poll but I feel like it got more than enough chances. I liked to see it again someday but for now it needs to go the back of the line and let another IP have a turn.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I want a AAA Mega Man Legends. I know it was killed years ago, but I would still really like to see that. I'd be just as thrilled with an RE2 style overhaul of the original.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Man is not a dormant IP. Mega Man 11 came out in late 2018 and they've teased another game. You could argue that Mega Man Legends is a separate IP and is dormant, but Mega Man itself is active, and I don't want a AAA Mega Man (or Mega Man Legends TBH.) Mega Man is its own thing and making it AAA would destroy what makes it Mega Man. Keep Mega Man projects the size of something like 11. If you want to make a Legends game make it mid-tier.

In terms of the IP I actually want revived in an AAA style I think that it's probably PowerStone, just because there's nothing really like it out right now, unless you want to count Smash Brothers, which is kind of a different thing. PowerStone was such a unique and interesting fighter, I'd love to see what it would look like with modern technology and game design.

Honestly I would be into a lot of these games though. I think another Okami or Dragon's Dogma would be really cool. I think that Dino Crisis or Viewtiful Joe could be really interesting. Onimusha could be a Soulslike.

I would even be into a Dark Void revival. That game was janky as hell and it has the most obvious cut ending of any game I have ever played, but I actually really enjoyed it. I think the idea was excellent and it was just a result of Capcom's bad development style at the time. I think another Dark Void, with sufficient time and budget to get it right, could be an awesome cross between Uncharted and Crimson Skies. The only reason it's not my vote is because the game has no nostalgia value or fan base, so they might as well just make a new IP. PowerStone at least has a lot of people who remember it fondly.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I know it's not the same thing but Nioh & Sekiro already scratched that Onimusha itch for me so i'm gonna go with Dragon's Dogma 2. (or hell even Deep Down coming back in the RE engine might be alright)

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Dragon's Dogma 2 is such a no brainer. The first game is so amazing in ways and clearly flawed in others and another pass at it could have put out a game of the generation type game.

Bigger world, more stuff, more depth to pawns, more quests and means of progression, more monsters.... DD 1 is already a pretty great game so you could make a real masterpiece.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
    @nutter said:

I think it’d be cool to see what they could do with Final Fight. I LOVED that game in arcades, but it doesn’t hold up, gameplay-wise. Previous efforts to revive it have been wastes...

I am a beat em up guy and its one of my favorites too (although I'm a Streets of Rage guy).

I think that the formula for a modern beat em up was laid out and worked very well in Rockstar's The Warriors, which unfortunately it seems like no developer has ever wanted to build on. The way that game captured ground combat, grappling, some primitive physics, and environmental combat as well as the feel of chaos of a group hand to hand fight was unparalleled even to this day. It also mixed things up well with the open world mechanics. It even had a fun, if bare bones, multiplayer.

To me it's a huge shame no one has built on that, and you could with Final Fight as well as other classics in the genre.

I also do believe there is more to do with even the 2D version of the genre. I think there's a lot you could do with RPG mechanics and co-op and things that has hardly been explored. One game that does a bit is Dragon's Crown but that game was very rough in a lot of ways. I think as far as basically gameplay as well there is room for something more technical. I think developers think fans of the genre don't want that but I think they do.

I also think you could do some cool things with tower defense and strategy mechanics added in.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud: Final Fight Streetwise came out a year after The Warriors. To say it did not learn the lessons of that game is...putting it mildly.

I think that another potential way for the Final Fight series to go would be Sleeping Dogs. Maybe get rid of the vehicles and pare down some of the open world stuff, but just make a decent plot and set Mike Hagar loose in a city to beat up ALL the punks. Unfortunately it seems like these kinds of open world games have fallen out of favor and are instead being made as Games as a Service online hybrids these days. Final Fight could have an opportunity to capitalize on an old IP and really make for a cool open world brawler, though, with locations from the old games and even the Mad Gear game returning.

Capcom has to realize that the problem with its mid 2000s to mid 2010s output was not so much the ideas as the repeatedly terrible execution.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I would love the open world idea if done well too. The one thing I will say is even to fit into the modern bent, you could easily see RPG type mechanics, strategy ones (with things like point capture), some multiplayer options and then have it feel pretty modern too. I just am wrapping up The Division 2 and I think a game that followed that structure, with well executed brawler combat, would be great. At that point scale is pretty big so maybe not as far as that game goes, but you can see even a scaled down version.

And I love your final thought man it's so fucking key to this genre. It's one thing I get super frustrated by just as fan of games across other genres as well. You see attempts at ideas, but if they fail, it's an indictment of the whole idea itself rather than quality and execution.

Kind of like I wrote in my post, I think there's a lot to do with brawlers that would still make even 2D classic-ish feeling ones very fun but I think the execution just isn't there, on the technical combat part on down to like I mentioned, say Dragon's Crown which yeah has RPG mechanics but they are all extremely clunky in execution and presentation.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami for sure. That is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played, to this day, and I would love to see what they could do with that art style on modern hardware.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Dragon's Dogma seems like the most obvious candidate. Even though a lot of the other franchises listed were great in their day, it would take more work and re-invention to modernize them in a way that would meet most people's expectation for a quote-unquote "AAA" game in 2020.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose a clearly unpopular IP and went with Lost Planet. I feel like there is an ever growing demographic that would be into those games if they just focus on the games being 90% mech combat and 10% FPS. Basically keep the encounters similar with a buildup to a large monster at the end of the fight. Basically a Monster Hunter game with mechs.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemael: Nice! So it's Platinum? Interesting. Really curious what direction they go with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Dragons Dogma by default but other than the obvious choice I would really like to see them take Lost Planet and give it that Monster Hunter treatment.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cikame

Shadow of Rome.
    Edit: I forgot, God Hand, God Hand, always God Hand.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna be different and say Maximo, but I'll most likely just buy those games again on ebay. So I'll go with the group and say Dragon's Dogma as well since modern tech can make a great game even better.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A part of me wants to say Power Stone though I think it can't realistically compete in the current market. I personally have always thought Power Stone 2 was more fun than most Smash Bros games. Having said that I recently saw what the roster of Smash Bros Ultimate looks like now and good lord, what fighting game could possibly hope to compete with this much star power? You mean to tell me Terry Bogard can punch Mario in the face? What a time to be alive.

I guess choosing from this list I'd say Breath of Fire. Admittedly I have only played and loved Breath of Fire III so I'm not too sure how the series was progressing up to Dragon Quarter. I'd just like to see how Capcom would tackle a JRPG in this day and age considering that they're best known for their action and fighting games.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Dragon's Dogma needs a sequel yesterday.

If you're not satiated for Mega Man after like 11 original series games, 8 Mega Man Xes, four Mega Man Zeroes, two Mega Man ZXes and various spinoffs and spiritual sequels from both indie devs and the developers of some of these original games, I dunno what to tell you. Mega Man has gotten far and beyond the attention it deserves, even if it's had long dry spells.

God Hand badly deserves a sequel just as much as Dragon's Dogma, but more so in a gameplay sense than a story sense. If you want to slap the Final Fight brand on to it to make a good 3d Final Fight, as many similarities as they already share, then I won't argue with it. God Hand's melee combat system has gone undeservedly unused since that game, and FF probably has more brand recognition.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud: Oh, Streets of Rage holds up FAR better. That game has mechanics ;)

Back in the day, the characters, graphics, and music of Final Fight got me on board, thought I enjoyed both.

The Sega CD version of Final Fight amazing me as a kid.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Onemanarmyy

While Dragon's Dogma is good enough to warrant a new game, i feel like Viewtiful Joe is such a bold franchise that they should do more with it. I'm sure that we will see enough medieval fantasy RPGs in the next decade that it doesn't necessarily have to be tied to the Dragons Dogma IP. On the other hand, Viewtiful Joe is truly one of a kind and we won't see anything like it if it's not Capcom dusting him off.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#24 fisk0  Moderator

I kinda have the feeling that the newer ports of Dragon's Dogma did well enough that they're already working on some kind of sequel. Of the options in the poll, I'd be interested in seeing them revisit Dark Void, that game had a lot of neat ideas even though it played a lot like one of those generic 360 era cover shooters, but it essentially also had the decent parts of Anthem in it along with some of the new Wolfenstein games and The Order 1886 vibes with that alternate history 1930s stuff.

I still think that has a lot of potential to explore ... but anyway, what if they made a new game in the 1942 series?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Okami more than Dragon's Dogma, but I think I would be more excited for a Dragon's Dogma sequel at this point than an Okami sequel. I think that game has a lot more potential to grow with modern consoles.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shiftygism

Saturday Night Slam Masters, easily. Though word is because the artist behind Fist of North Star supposedly created most of the roster it somehow has prevented a resurrection.

EDIT: A new Maximo would be cool too!

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That internal first person Mega Man concept demo that leaked a few years back looked kinda neat. I might like to see a stab at that.

Is Dragon's Dogma dormant? I feel like if The online game had an English release we wouldn't be having this conversation. Then again I don't think it matters. Wanna say that Itsuno confirmed it would be his next project when DMC5 released.

There was also some hub-bub on twitter about a new Platinum Games Okami, but who knows where that went.

Real talk though: I would play a Remember Me 2. Ride those Cyberpunk coattails Capcom!

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

God Hand or Mega Man Legends.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The fact that it's not on here is all the proof I need that it's the most deserving: give me a Platinum developed "Captain Commando," damnit!

His NAME is "CAP-COM" for God's sake, how is he only in one game of his own and two Marvel VS games?!?!

Make it ludicrously over-the-top tonally, keep the weird adherence to ultra-violence, but make it stylized enough to avoid being grotesque. I'd love a similar tone to Metal Gear Rising.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Hell yeah, I really didn't have any exposure to Final Fight in Arcades until later and my personal experience with it was my older brother's Sega CD copy.

Love the music in it.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Dino Crisis has so much more to give. 2 was one of the best action games on the PS1.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commando

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I stand with Bakalar, give us a new Viewtiful Joe dammit!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Okami is my favorite out of that list, but without Clover/Platinum involvement, I don't know if the result would be worthy.

So, out of the ones that could be revisited successfully, I would like to see a new take on onimusha.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked the only game on the list that I have played: Onimusha.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Dragon's Dogma

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Would love to see Dino Crisis get remade like RE2 did. Heck, it could be completely original honestly. I feel like Capcom really fell apart there for awhile, then stormed back starting with RE7 (maybe there was something before that even, but considering DR4 was 12/6/16 & RE7 was 1/24/17 I would be surprised). No idea if there was a massive management overhaul or something. I definitely was in the boat of, "Not touching Capcom games for awhile" to, "RE7 reviewed really well? I'll try it. OMG this is awesome!" and now just willing to buy whatever Capcom puts out (at least until they ruin that goodwill again).

Lost Planet getting a AAA version could be pretty sweet too.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I’ve always felt kind of distant from Capcom, aside from the classic Resident Evils and Street Fighter I pass on their stuff a lot for whatever reason. I did really enjoy the Onimusha series but I’m not sure what that has to offer that other games aren’t already covering.

So I went and did some digging and I don’t even know if they own the property but Remember Me was a really cool idea from a developer that seemed a little in over their heads. I’d love to see Capcom put that IP in somebody else’s hands and see what they do with it; the idea of a sort of cross between the tech manipulation of Watch Dogs and combat modification of Transistor in a third person, linear action game sounds pretty unique and appealing to me right now.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I’ve always felt kind of distant from Capcom, aside from the classic Resident Evils and Street Fighter I pass on their stuff a lot for whatever reason. I did really enjoy the Onimusha series but I’m not sure what that has to offer that other games aren’t already covering.

So I went and did some digging and I don’t even know if they own the property but Remember Me was a really cool idea from a developer that seemed a little in over their heads. I’d love to see Capcom put that IP in somebody else’s hands and see what they do with it; the idea of a sort of cross between the tech manipulation of Watch Dogs and combat modification of Transistor in a third person, linear action game sounds pretty unique and appealing to me right now.

All that said, if Dontnod retained rights to the property, I skipped Street Fighter V so I suppose it FEELS like the series has been dormant a while. I love Netherrealms fighters but I never feel competitive online with them, whereas I had a pretty good time with SFIV multiplayer. I’d take another one of those even though I realize I could have one whenever I want.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud:

YEAH! That’s the best track in that game...the Eddie E. level. Love the bass and that vocal sample!

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Okami is the obvious answer, people have been howling for more of it for ages. But if they do another Ocarina of Time style game it'd probably feel kinda dated--they'd need to really have a strong vision for what a new Okami would be for me to be interested.

Personally, I'd kill to see another Strider. Loved the metroidvania one from a few years ago, so the idea of another (high-budget or not) Strider would be rad as hell. But also that's not gonna happen in a million years.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Okami but if I still had a group of friends that was into sitting on a couch playing on one tv I'd pick Powerstone in a second!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami. One of best games ever made.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Viewtiful Joe though honestly I'd just take an HD remaster of Viewtiful Joe + Viewtiful Joe 2 on Switch or something. I played the first one a bit a few months back and it's still fun but the textures are pretty rough to look at now.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bionic Commando, with a new female playable character. Maybe have Spencer also be playable and have missions with each of them DMC5 style. I think that series still has potential regardless of what they do though. Using a robotic arm to swing from stuff is such a pure concept that they could do a lot with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.