Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 04, 2016

Set in futuristic 2080, the 13th entry of the Call of Duty series brings a war that spans our entire Solar System.

The Digital Deluxe version of Infinite Warfare is a strangely good deal

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It looks like Activision is making a big push towards digital sales with COD this year. Take a look:

Infinite Warfare - $59.99

Infinite Warfare + COD 4 Remastered - $79.99

Infinite Warfare DLC Season Pass - $49.99

[download only] Infinite Warfare + COD 4 Remastered + DLC Season Pass - $99.99

[retail only] Infinite Warfare + COD 4 Remastered + DLC Season Pass + Steelbook case + soundtrack - $119.99

So you can pay 20 dollars more than a standard COD release and get COD 4 Remastered, or you could pay 20 dollars more than that and get the season pass. Compare that to Black Ops III, where the digital deluxe version was still $99.99, and only included the season pass. So you can think of it as paying last year's price and getting COD4 for free, or paying $19.99 for the season pass this year, instead of $39.99.

If you want to get the same thing at retail, you're looking at paying 19.99 more for a soundtrack and steelbook case.

After hearing about this, I really hope there's a beta, and I really hope it's good, or I still won't be able to bring myself to purchase this deal. The somewhat current version of Infinity Ward is responsible for MW3, which was far and away my least enjoyable experience with a COD title ever, and was the only game where I ever bought a COD season pass. I got the season pass with the game itself, because it was cheaper that way.

I don't ever want to do that again, but playing the Black Ops III beta convinced me that game would be worth purchasing, and I think a beta for Infinite Warfare could help me decide on the season pass, one way or another. Paying 20 dollars extra for the season pass would be a pretty good deal, if I liked the game.

Of course, I don't for a second think that they're not going to make up the difference with supply drops. As long as they don't handle them like Advanced Warfare did, I should be alright with that.

That COD 4 remaster, though? I have to say, it's looking really good.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@otakugamer: it is a bummer that it's likely so they can re-sell it to everyone after the fact

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

With the supply drop bullshit they've been pulling on BO3, yeah, I don't see Activision as the golden standard for good deals. That shit has got to be the most anti-consumer micro-transaction system in gaming software history. They should be giving us those maps for free and be retooling their supply drop system as to not make it seem like people are getting ripped off. I understand the want to make money after a game has been released, but doing it the way they did it is not the way to do it.

Edit: Actually, I'll make the argument that the pricing structure is pretty piss poor. You're basically getting ripped off if you buy anything other than the $100 version. If you were to say, buy the game and the season pass, it'll be the same price as buying it along with the COD4 remaster (edit, actually it's $10 more!). 50 bucks for maps isn't a good deal, especially when they are doing their supply drop thing again (let's not kid ourselves, it will happen) and don't forget that this kind of thing breaks up the community.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the supply drop bullshit they've been pulling on BO3, yeah, I don't see Activision as the golden standard for good deals. That shit has got to be the most anti-consumer micro-transaction system in gaming software history. They should be giving us those maps for free and be retooling their supply drop system as to not make it seem like people are getting ripped off. I understand the want to make money after a game has been released, but doing it the way they did it is not the way to do it.

The thing I dislike most about the supply drop system is the amount you need to play to open the only decent supply drop package. It takes about two hours or so to open a supply drop where you have about a 1% chance of getting a weapon. That's not hyperbole either. That's about the actual statistical chance, as confirmed by people who have tested it. Out of all the weapons that have been introduced, only one of those could be argued to be over-powered (the shotgun pistol), while the rest are pretty much objectively worse than any other weapon in their class.

Personally, I'd like for the developer to keep the chances of every getting a weapon the same--even if they have to lower those chances per supply drop--and instead let players open a supply drop every hour or so. But if you just ignore it all, none of it matters very much anyhow, and it's the sort of thing that has kept game prices at $60, pretty much since I can remember.

Edit: Actually, I'll make the argument that the pricing structure is pretty piss poor. You're basically getting ripped off if you buy anything other than the $100 version.

Isn't that what a deal is, though? If something is normally sold for $200, and it's on sale for half off, and you have a 20% off coupon, you're getting that product for $80. Doing so essentially rewards people who weighed the options and waited for a deal, and doesn't reward those who just blindly made a purchase. It also incentives making a purchase now, rather than waiting, when you might not be able to get that deal anymore. It also makes you feel like you're being smart with your money, despite the fact that the cost of the item and amount of potential sales are all considered before any sort of pricing is announced.

It's like when you go to buy a hard drive, and you find out you can get twice the amount of storage space for 25% more money. That's clearly the best value, but the only reason they price things like that is to make the most expensive offer more attractive. That's pretty much what Activision is doing here, and I think it's going to work quite well for them.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Isn't that what a deal is, though? If something is normally sold for $200, and it's on sale for half off, and you have a 20% off coupon, you're getting that product for $80. Doing so essentially rewards people who weighed the options and waited for a deal, and doesn't reward those who just blindly made a purchase. It also incentives making a purchase now, rather than waiting, when you might not be able to get that deal anymore. It also makes you feel like you're being smart with your money, despite the fact that the cost of the item and amount of potential sales are all considered before any sort of pricing is announced.

It's like when you go to buy a hard drive, and you find out you can get twice the amount of storage space for 25% more money. That's clearly the best value, but the only reason they price things like that is to make the most expensive offer more attractive. That's pretty much what Activision is doing here, and I think it's going to work quite well for them.

It also creates a system of haves and have nots. Let's say I didn't want COD4 remastered, I'm pretty much sucked into buying it anyway. Splitting up a game into multiple parts and charging an inconsistent amount for each piece and calling it 'choice' is not how I personally view a good deal. Sell the season pass for $20 and sell the remaster for $20 separately and I'll accept that. Hell, give me all of that and a soundtrack for $110, and if I like what I see of your game enough to care, sure!

Look, I understand these games cost a lot to make, but there are better and possibly even more profitable ways of doing this without splitting up the userbase. Cause if I spent $60 for Infinite Warfare right off the bat and wanted some more maps, I shouldn't have to be forced to spend another 50 bucks to earn the privilege.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

It also creates a system of haves and have nots. Let's say I didn't want COD4 remastered, I'm pretty much sucked into buying it anyway. Splitting up a game into multiple parts and charging an inconsistent amount for each piece and calling it 'choice' is not how I personally view a good deal. Sell the season pass for $20 and sell the remaster for $20 separately and I'll accept that. Hell, give me all of that and a soundtrack for $110, and if I like what I see of your game enough to care, sure!

Look, I understand these games cost a lot to make, but there are better and possibly even more profitable ways of doing this without splitting up the userbase. Cause if I spent $60 for Infinite Warfare right off the bat and wanted some more maps, I shouldn't have to be forced to spend another 50 bucks to earn the privilege.

I definitely see where you're coming from, and as a COD player, I can give you yet another disadvantage concerning splitting the community. The people who are more likely to buy extra maps are the people who play a lot of COD. They're not content with having new maps once a year with a new game. They care enough that they want more content all the time. Being that they care about the game enough to buy new maps, that means they probably play COD more than the average player, which also means that they've had a lot more practice.

All this leads to a situation where playing on DLC maps is like playing COD multiplayer in hard mode. In fact, a large complaint of the DLC in Black Ops III is that you're stuck with it, once you've purchased it. Thanks to game updates, there's no way to delete the maps, or toggle the ability to play with them. This meant players couldn't go back to just playing on the standard maps, and unless they play with a friend who doesn't have the maps, the less skillful players can sometimes feel like they're stuck in permanent try hard mode.

Yeah. If you want to buy Infinite Warfare. I don't think anyone could argue that. The problem is that a lot of people would rather not.

My issue is not the price or having to buy Infinite Warfare though, it's that 10 maps are missing. Why is that exactly? It's not really a remaster if there's content cut from the original game.

"Remaster" is coming from the fact that they're reworking the graphics and sound. It's not content complete, and they're being very upfront about that, just like Sony was upfront about the Uncharted remaster not including any of the multiplayer. The game also originally shipped with 16 maps, and 4 were DLC, so it's really only 6 maps that are missing.

Why they're not included is anyone's guess. I could have to do with DLC plans, development time, development cost considering they're selling the remaster for "20 dollars," or something else. I honestly will be interested in hearing the PR answer for why only 10 of the 16 maps are included. Still, as long as I like the maps they choose, 20 dollars is a pretty darn good price. They sold God of War III on PS4 for considerably more than that, and that game was just a basic update of framerate and resolution. I think they could have easily sold COD4 Remastered for 60 dollars, with all content included, but they decided to leverage it towards sales of the next full COD game instead.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

A good deal on recycled half-assed garbage doesn't make it a must-buy for me. It just makes it comparatively cheap garbage.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What they're doing with CoD4 Remastered by bundling it with a new release is a garbage way to treat your fans. It can and should be a separate product.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good deal on recycled half-assed garbage doesn't make it a must-buy for me. It just makes it comparatively cheap garbage.

COD4 is garbage now? This COD4?

Ah. Remember when COD games got outstanding reviews? Those were the days.

Loading Video...

Not that I often agree with Jeff on the games in this series. AW is still my least favorite COD multiplayer game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Oh it's the Best Value! deal for sure. I guess this is how AAA games are going to sell themselves at a hundred bucks for a preorder from now on.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only a good deal if you like every part of the package (Single player, multiplayer, zombies, Remaster) and will use the season pass. Otherwise it's not such a great deal. It's especially not a great deal due to the way they are tying the remaster to buying the main game. They should at least sell it separately for $30 or something.

Especially since this means we won't get COD4 backwards compatible on XBONE (though it's so full of hackers at this point that wouldn't be particularly valuable in and of itself).

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

That does not seem like a good deal to me. It only seems like a good deal in the context of the season pass being $50.

Stripping 10 maps out of COD4 is terrible. It's really bad. There were 16 maps in COD4, and taking 10 of them away is bound to leave out some good ones.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That does not seem like a good deal to me. It only seems like a good deal in the context of the season pass being $50.

Stripping 10 maps out of COD4 is terrible. It's really bad. There were 16 maps in COD4, and taking 10 of them away is bound to leave out some good ones.

It's six maps that we're losing, leaving ten. Still not good news, but it is only "20 dollars."

Right now, unless they announce you'll be able to toggle the DLC, I'm leaning towards skipping the season pass version, even if it is the better deal.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

by 6 months they will release CoD4 remaster separately considering how poor sales are.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike

Is it a good deal, or are the individual components just overpriced?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By gundogan

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @sparky_buzzsaw said:

COD4 is garbage now? This COD4?

Ah. Remember when COD games got outstanding reviews? Those were the days.

But CoD4 (the multiplayer for sure) IS garbage! :) The singleplayer is just outdated these days. Sure, some memorable moments, but most of the game is just pew pew pew at heads semi behind cover.

It is one of the more overrated games these days (in some circles at least) and it doesn't hold up at all. I mean, Black Ops 2 is just miles better in every aspect. More variation and balance and better maps overall in the multiplayer and overall more meaningful gameplay in the singleplayer. This remaster is just a desperation move so they can sell more Infinite Warfare copies because they now a part of the target audience wants just that remaster.

@drgreatjob said:

It already has Bog and Overgrown in it. They're already going down the line of poor maps. You can ship the game with like Crash, Crossfire, Backlot, Vacant and perhaps Strike and Chinatown and you wouldn't miss anything.

But yea, if you want Infinite Warfare, the season pass (preordering DLC though...) and the remaster, this doesn't seem so bad for the price.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how much money do they pay main stream gaming media to still always give it a 9 fucking +
    i have seen so many amazing games being overlooked and cod4.8 still gets the same score!?!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@towolie said:

how much money do they pay main stream gaming media to still always give it a 9 fucking +

i have seen so many amazing games being overlooked and cod4.8 still gets the same score!?!

Just stop with that right now unless you are prepared to back a statement like that up with some evidence. The Giant Bomb forums aren't the place for you to propagate your baseless conspiracy theories.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike : its venting anger, i have no clue if they get payed or not.

i do however know its one of the worst francices for gaming as a whole. very little actual change between games on average. a pricing structure that gets worse every year. ( just look at the supply bullshit ontop of a 60 euro game ontop of 50 euros dlc )

is it fun to play? yes it mostly is but i hate that they get rewarded for all of there bad disicions.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No stupidly large statue that I have no use for and will only gather dust? No sale!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.