Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Thoughts on Hardcore

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By arkasai

A few weeks back I started playing almost exclusively on hardcore....and woah going back to normal is pretty awkward.  I thought it'd be rough...but holy shit my reflexes are beast like now.  Your margin of error in hardcore is much smaller and it shows when you play on normal...opponents seem to stare at you for hours before taking a shot. 
      One thing I've found though is on hardcore I almost always play with a silencer, and feel it's a necessity.  But in normal games I feel like it leads to too many assists/stolen kills.   Kind of makes sense though, since the drawbacks of a silencer are negated in hardcore.   It seems people are especially adept at seeking out the source of gunfire on hardcore, and hiding the muzzle flash is the biggest advantage probably.  

I mainly use the FN FAL + silencer with the Python + ACOG as my secondary.  Both guns can 1 shot kill, and with second chance you can strike back at super long range.  Python + ACOG is basically a pocket sniper rifle with no reticle drifting, and I've found it to be exceedingly accurate.  I actually think there should be a little reticle drift added if you have an ACOG on the python, because it's just too easy to make long shots while strafing or while in second chance.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By X19

I like barebones because it reminds me of simpler times.  

To many laggy players that make hardcore feel cheap when you kill or get killed.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By arkasai
    @X19 said:
    " I like barebones because it reminds me of simpler times.  "
    I've become too accustomed to perks to go back now...I could live without killstreaks, but I just feel naked without perks.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By X19
    @Arkasai: Annoyingly there isn't just a perks no killstreaks mode is there?
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@X19 said:
    " @Arkasai: Annoyingly there isn't just a perks no killstreaks mode is there? "
    This is the main reason I didn't enjoy Black Ops online.  I came back to MW2 big-time when they added barebones with perks and no killstreaks.  It makes no sense to me that they brought back barebones but didn't have the perks and no killstreaks one.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ChillyUK7

My thoughts, remove the Prestige Playlist (pointless in my mind as your Prestige level is not reflective of your skill) and replace it with a Hardcore Barebones Playlist.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bombHills

One group of friends I play with go exclusively on Hardcore, the other is only Core. I found the same thing, switching from hardcore to normal improves your reflexes. I do struggle though when first switching over to Hardcore after playing for a long time on Core.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By one_2nd

It depends on the game mode. Hardcore search is great, but everything else is better in regular. 

mr_moustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mr_moustache
    @Arkasai said:
    One thing I've found though is on hardcore I almost always play with a silencer, and feel it's a necessity.  But in normal games I feel like it leads to too many assists/stolen kills.   Kind of makes sense though, since the drawbacks of a silencer are negated in hardcore.   It seems people are especially adept at seeking out the source of gunfire on hardcore, and hiding the muzzle flash is the biggest advantage probably.   
    ^^ I am never using a silencer in hardcore. The way I play I use a famas with dualmags and put hardend pro on. SHOOT EM THROUGH THE WALLS!!! ;) 
    Works perfectly. Cover is practically nonexistent and with dual mags you can empty a clip into a wall two or three times (and kill one or two enemys in the process) and still won´t have to worry about ammo. 
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngeTheDude

I play on hardcore as much as possible. It's a much more enjoyable experience for me with a cleaner HUD and quicker kills.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arkasai
    @mr_moustache said:
    " @Arkasai said:
    ^^ I am never using a silencer in hardcore. The way I play I use a famas with dualmags and put hardend pro on. SHOOT EM THROUGH THE WALLS!!! ;) Works perfectly. Cover is practically nonexistent and with dual mags you can empty a clip into a wall two or three times (and kill one or two enemys in the process) and still won´t have to worry about ammo.  "
    Odd right? Kind of counter intuitive because people hardly have a mini map so why not go unsilenced?  I usually use the FN FAL on hardcore, one shot kill at almost any distance with the silencer.  + second chance with python+acog and you can snipe people back at any distance.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By beargirl1

i only play hardcore search when my friends and i just want to team kill each other.  otherwise i haven't really given it a chance to play seriously. 

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I only play HC.  I haven't played a standard match in a long time.  I'm on the PC and only choose HC tactical servers where you have to crouch and can only run when under fire.  More often then not they also have a no second chance rule too, which is good in HC because that perk becomes way too powerful.   

My main setup is M16 + silencer with Ghost, Steady Aim, and Hacker.  It probably helps that on a monitor you sit a lot closer, but I find it stupid easy to get hip fire kills with the M16 in HC with Steady Aim.  If they are in the middle of the screen, then they are dead.  It has saved me many times. 

I feel like I am done with the traditional CoD gameplay, so the only way I will play it is if I can play it like it wasn't CoD.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck

Hardcore was the only thing I ever played in CoD4 and MW2 (I haven't bought Blops). Silencer always, for some reason it felt like I gained accuracy from it even though I know that isn't true. I tried going back to normal but having to empty a whole clip into a dude (it felt like it in comparison) just felt really awkward.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aus_azn
    @one_2nd said:
    " It depends on the game mode. Hardcore search is great, but everything else is better in regular.  "
    Pretty much this.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I like hardcore more then regular. 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@X19 said:
    " @Arkasai: Annoyingly there isn't just a perks no killstreaks mode is there? "
    Another thing I wish they did was make "classic mode" (classic COD4 killstreaks) perks and attachments. I really don't know how they can call it classic mode without 2 things integral to the COD formula.
    drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By drjota

Hardcore will never die,but you will ;-)

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By arkasai
    @Chubbaluphigous said:

" I only play HC.  I haven't played a standard match in a long time.  I'm on the PC and only choose HC tactical servers where you have to crouch and can only run when under fire.  More often then not they also have a no second chance rule too, which is good in HC because that perk becomes way too powerful.    My main setup is M16 + silencer with Ghost, Steady Aim, and Hacker.  It probably helps that on a monitor you sit a lot closer, but I find it stupid easy to get hip fire kills with the M16 in HC with Steady Aim.  If they are in the middle of the screen, then they are dead.  It has saved me many times.  I feel like I am done with the traditional CoD gameplay, so the only way I will play it is if I can play it like it wasn't CoD. "

I like the M16 as well, but I only use steady aim for specific loadouts, like dual wield smg's or a shotgun.  I find I get a lot of kills with the M16 as people run laterally across my field of view and I snap my crosshairs a little bit ahead of them and pull the trigger.  As long as my crosshairs cross their path during the burst they're dead almost every time, even though if it looks like I fired too early or even too late in some spots.   

I can't play without slight of hand pro...not in hardcore anyway, on normal I can use any 2nd perk.  But for my play style I need that extra quick aim-down-sights and fast reload.  Sucks cause I miss having silencer + acog on my M16...really good combo. 

@President_Barackbar said: 

@X19 said: 

@Arkasai: Annoyingly there isn't just a perks no killstreaks mode is there? "
    Another thing I wish they did was make "classic mode" (classic COD4 killstreaks) perks and attachments. I really don't know how they can call it classic mode without 2 things integral to the COD formula. "
    I think when they mean classic...they mean like COD1,2, and 3 multiplayer.    
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Arkasai said:
    " @President_Barackbar said: 

@X19 said: 

@Arkasai: Annoyingly there isn't just a perks no killstreaks mode is there? "
    Another thing I wish they did was make "classic mode" (classic COD4 killstreaks) perks and attachments. I really don't know how they can call it classic mode without 2 things integral to the COD formula. "
    I think when they mean classic...they mean like COD1,2, and 3 multiplayer.     "
    If that's what they meant, then why did they include the COD4 killstreaks? COD 1, 2, and 3 didn't have killstreaks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.