Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

My first Black Ops Montage....

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nail1080

So this didn't take long to do, I'd like to hear some opinions on how I can do better montages in the future. 
    I used windows movie maker for the editing and I recorded the gameplay directly from theatre mode and uploaded the clips directly onto youtube. 

Also if anyone else has montages please feel free to post them here as I'd like to compare them to mine, thank you.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

question: after getting the video up on youtube, how did you edit it then?  

also i only watched about 1 min of it, because it lags like a bitch, you might have to look into that. 

But i seriously dig, that you used kens theme...

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nail1080
    @Jethuty said:

" question: after getting the video up on youtube, how did you edit it then?     also i only watched about 1 min of it, because it lags like a bitch, you might have to look into that.   But i seriously dig, that you used kens theme... "

Yeah it does lag pretty bad but I can't do much about that. After I uploaded a bunch of clips to youtube I transferred them to windows movie maker and just stuck them together there. 

And yeah using Kens theme was all I really wanted to do, I just used Black Ops as it's the easiest game I have to get clips of without investing in video capture equipment! 

next I gotta do one with Guiles theme!
    McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By McSmunions

this is just from the theater mode, no music or fancy editing.

and here's more from the same match but on offense. ended up going 44-21 with 1 plant. yeaaah snipers.  (had to speed it up so i could fit the whole kill streak in 30 sec.)

too bad the quality is so shit, kinda loses the quickness with it stuttering. i find if you mute it it doesn't seem that bad....(damn ps3)
    Stupot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stupot

Well i don't have any montages because its too much hassle/don't get enough good clips, but i do/used to watch a lot of them. As for some constructive criticism: i'd say cut out the short range tomehawks. They arn't that impresive really, although alot of your other mid to long range ones were. Definately sort out the lag if your planning to make montages that gain attention. Have a bigger variety of clips, quad sprays ect are always nice, although its alot easier said than done. 

I mean i could type out everything that makes a good montage, sync music to gameplay, crazy editing, 6 man sprays, new and original music ect ect. But if your doing it just for fun and arn't willing to invest alot of time/money with editing equitpment and recoding software then theres not alot you can do to make it better apart from more impresive clips. Which, like i've said, is easier said than done. Anyway some nice tomahawks in there, keep it up.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO
    @nail1080 said:

" I'd like to hear some opinions on how I can do better montages in the future. "

As Jethuty mentioned, it lags, so I also only watched the first minute. But from what I saw it seemed like 99% of Call of Duty montages - just a bunch a random clips strewn together over ill-fitting music. Sorry to be an ass, but there's seemingly little thought placed in the editing.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nail1080
    @McSmunions:
    dude those are some awesome sniper clips, well done, and the lag is not bad at all IMO. Now just get a few more, put some music to it, and bam, you got yourself a nice montage.

@Stupot:
    thanks for the feedback, and yeah these are purely for fun, I have a masters in biotechnology which takes up most of my day to do. But yeah I'll keep some of your tips in mind, although I love tomehawks even if they are close range so I'll keep those I'm afraid!
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nail1080
    @EVO said:
    " @nail1080 said:

" I'd like to hear some opinions on how I can do better montages in the future. "

As Jethuty mentioned, it lags, so I also only watched the first minute. But from what I saw it seemed like 99% of Call of Duty montages - just a bunch a random clips strewn together over ill-fitting music. Sorry to be an ass, but there's seemingly little thought placed in the editing. "
    well I've never edited anything in my life, and the music is Ken's theme, so why be so mean?      :(
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By fugie7
    @nail1080:
     it looks alright, just what other people above me already said it lags.  oh by the way nice youtube channel.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nail1080
    @fugie7 said:

" @nail1080:  it looks alright, just what other people above me already said it lags.  oh by the way nice youtube channel. "

hehe thanks, the clips on my channel don't seem to lag as bad but when I converted them to windows movie maker they seemed to lag, wtf? I need a fix for this if I am to get  a "bunch a random clips strewn together over ill-fitting music"
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EVO
    @nail1080 said:
    " @EVO said:
    " @nail1080 said:

As Jethuty mentioned, it lags, so I also only watched the first minute. But from what I saw it seemed like 99% of Call of Duty montages - just a bunch a random clips strewn together over ill-fitting music. Sorry to be an ass, but there's seemingly little thought placed in the editing. "
    well I've never edited anything in my life, and the music is Ken's theme, so why be so mean?      :( "
    I'm not being mean, just honest

You can't ask for opinions then expect everyone to like it. Especially since this is your first attempt at editing, you of all people should understand it's a little rough around the edges.

But if it's advice you're after, try editing to the music. Just because it's Ken's them doesn't make it fit the footage. 
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie
    @nail1080: No one wants to watch clips of you getting a tomahawk kill and then dying right after it, you know? You always want to make yourself look unstoppable. It's all about the editing, most of the montages you will see online will trick you into thinking they're better than they really are. 

Tips: 

Firstly, try to only show really good clips, having a dude 3ft infront of you and then tomahawking them isn't great, so cut them. 
    When showing sniper shots, start the clip just after you're aiming down the sights to make it look like you are very quickly scoping them down, lining up shots is never seen in montages because people will call you out for being a hardscoping noob, lol. I wouldn't but people are dumb. 
    Instead of just picking music that sounds cool, try to edit the clips around the music itself, having that be the 'beat' to the clips. Kills should be in sync with the song, if you undertand? 
    Also, when showing a clip from a different angle, you should try to edit them together, instead of after each other. When throwing a tomahawk, for example, start the clip with the normal first person view, then change to 3rd person after you have thrown it, all in real time. 

Finally, make sure the quality is not unwatchable like yours is. There is no need for that terrible lag, lol.
    McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By McSmunions
    @nail1080:  thanks man, yea ill have to check out some editing stuff. definitely don't plan on being a popular channel or anything like that but thanks to theater i kinda got that bug to post nice clips. 

i used to love the throwing knife in MW2 but for some reason i havent really used the tomahawk as much as i probably should. but here's one i saved

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EVO
    @Baillie:  Thanks. 

That's everything I meant to say but couldn't be bothered to.
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nail1080

Ok I made a new one let me know if you think i did better!
    SevenFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SevenFive
    squall128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By squall128

nice

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.