Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Nov 05, 2007

The fourth main Call of Duty game ditches the World War II setting of the past games to tell a story set in contemporary times, and backs it up with a breakthrough multiplayer mode.

Activision finally releasing Modern Warfare Remasted as a seperate product...but it ain't cheap

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Panfoot

http://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-remastered-goes-standalone-1796370159

We all figured it would happen eventually, and we probably all figured it would be expensive too. So we've got a $40 dollar price point for a touched up game that came out almost a decade ago which...yeah, I liked MW a lot but that's to much for me. But the icing on the cake is, that doesn't include the DLC, which is $15 dollars on it's own(which is $5 more than the original release a decade ago!). I'm really wondering if this will do well at all, I've been so out of the series the past few years I can't tell if people are still way into CoD, at least enough to pay nearly full price again.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Definitely going to wait for some kind of sale. It kind of gives a weird impression that at full price, the actual campaign and multiplayer for infinite was only worth $20.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep not buying at that price. In fact not buying at all, waiting for WW2.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably $30 is more acceptable, odd that it would be 2/3rds of the value of the game it was originally attached to (though it is considered a classic by many). I'm not the best to ascribe value to these things, though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

If the graphics were brought to a modern standard, it came with all the DLC, and we got some kind of new feature or something? Maybe. But at that price and selling DLC separately and with no fancy new features or anything? Nah.

It will still sell well because people with no sense of money or way too much money will buy it.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly the 40.00 price point wouldn't be so bad if it included all DLC for this remaster up to this point, maybe even including some amount of any future DLC as well to sweeten the deal, if they plan on putting out more. As it stands, 40.00 for a remaster that includes none of the DLC content just seems greedy. I still have my Xbox 360 copy of this game, what is the incentive to spend another relatively big chunk of change on it, besides some updated graphics? If you are a big COD fan and want the DLC as well, that's going to be another 15.00, which is pretty much the cost of a brand new game. It just doesn't seem worth it.

I guess this is for super fans only. :/

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how even the original MW is still 10€ on Steam sales and 20€ at a regular price, I'm not surprised.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably $30 is more acceptable, odd that it would be 2/3rds of the value of the game it was originally attached to (though it is considered a classic by many). I'm not the best to ascribe value to these things, though.

Yeah, just looking at the price in relation to Infinite Warfare itself is a really weird thing. Heck, you could buy Infinite Warfare with Modern Warfare Remastered for $50 right now on the steam sale, only 10 dollars more then the eventual stand alone release.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If the graphics were brought to a modern standard, it came with all the DLC, and we got some kind of new feature or something? Maybe. But at that price and selling DLC separately and with no fancy new features or anything? Nah.

It will still sell well because people with no sense of money or way too much money will buy it.

It already has both of those. The graphics have been completely modernized, and it also comes with the new feature of supply drops. Random loot boxes that you can buy with real money, and sometimes contain new weapons that arguably give a pay-to-win advantage to the players who have them. Now don't you want to buy this decade old game without any DLC for 40 dollars!?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nah, I already bought it in the Deluxe Edition of Infinte Warfare through XBL at the time it came out, I'm good.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It already has both of those. The graphics have been completely modernized, and it also comes with the new feature of supply drops. Random loot boxes that you can buy with real money, and sometimes contain new weapons that arguably give a pay-to-win advantage to the players who have them. Now don't you want to buy this decade old game without any DLC for 40 dollars!?

Loading Video...

Wow, I didn't realize they added in micro transactions...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@justin258 said:

The graphics have been completely modernized

Fair enough, though I really meant bringing them up to par with games that are just now getting released and not just a simple touch up here and there. If it looked as good as Black Ops III or Doom or something, sure. But if we're being completely fair, the game looked fine in 2007 and still looks fine today so whatever.

Random loot boxes that you can buy with real money, and sometimes contain new weapons that arguably give a pay-to-win advantage to the players who have them.

I said features - something like a server browser and/or dedicated servers, new modes, maybe some new maps - not gigantic neon signs that say "GIVE US MORE MONEY!"

The funny thing is, if this had been released at just ten dollars cheaper and included all the DLC, I would have just bought it straight away, even with the disgusting microtransactions included. No sale or anything necessary. And probably double dipped at some point in the not-too-distant future because sometimes I want to play multiplayer with a controller. But $55 for the whole package on one thing? Too much.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$40 doesn't seem that offensive or even that surprising considering how much demand there was for it. This is their only chance to charge that much for it, it's not like they can't lower it if it doesn't sell.

They either start at $40 and go down or start at $30 and go down. This isn't a surprising move, considering there are people in this very thread saying they will wait for a sale.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @justin258 said:

The graphics have been completely modernized

Fair enough, though I really meant bringing them up to par with games that are just now getting released and not just a simple touch up here and there. If it looked as good as Black Ops III or Doom or something, sure. But if we're being completely fair, the game looked fine in 2007 and still looks fine today so whatever.

Random loot boxes that you can buy with real money, and sometimes contain new weapons that arguably give a pay-to-win advantage to the players who have them.

I said features - something like a server browser and/or dedicated servers, new modes, maybe some new maps - not gigantic neon signs that say "GIVE US MORE MONEY!"

The funny thing is, if this had been released at just ten dollars cheaper and included all the DLC, I would have just bought it straight away, even with the disgusting microtransactions included. No sale or anything necessary. And probably double dipped at some point in the not-too-distant future because sometimes I want to play multiplayer with a controller. But $55 for the whole package on one thing? Too much.

That was sarcasm about the new features. Although they did include new features in the multiplayer--beyond micro transactions--and yes, they also did improve the graphics to Black Ops III levels of detail. It's a very nice looking game.

Loading Video...

It's just a shame about the price, and quite the "fuck you" to people who wanted this game, but didn't want Infinite Warfare.

djn3811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By djn3811

I wonder if this may partially be a way to get people who wanted Modern Warfare Remastered, but not didn't want to pay for Infinite Warfare to finally go pay the little bit more for the current game as well. I just looked at Amazon and the Infinite Warfare / Modern Warfare bundle is $45 for PS4 and $52 for Xbox One. Maybe get a bit of a boost on total sales?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.