Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

What the F!?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

This game doesn't support Dolby Digital on PS3!? Only DTS. Did they just jump the gun or something? I can't believe this. I bought it today, and for a while as I played I was just thinking about how underwhelming the sound was, and then just now, I check my sound system to see if it was on Dolby Digital, 'cause it just didn't sound like it, and when games start, the system always automatically detects it, but not this time I guess. Man... I can't believe this.

Now I'm really disappointed. I checked the back of the case and it only says DTS Digital Surround, no Dolby Digital. Some people probably don't care, but that's a big deal to me. I guess my systems not that great anymore, though I got it a few years ago. Wait, the 360 version supports it. GAH! I was going to buy the 360 version earlier but they didn't have it so I just opted for the PS3 version instead. This is stupid. Is there a way to return it to GameStop for such a thing, for a different version?

It really breaks the immersion for me. Is there a way to make it detect Dolby Surround?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

If you bought it new I don't think they'll let you return it opened.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM
    tmprice88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You have to be fucking kidding me...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

You'd take a game all the way back just for not supporting Dolby Digital? That's what breaks your immersion?

But, I am curious about this now. Why wouldn't they include it? Was it a programming issue or a problem with the PS3's hardware? I doubt it was the former since it's apparently on the 360 and PC. Maybe they just needed a tiny little bit of power in one of the PS3's weaker areas, like RAM?

EDIT: So when Google searching I came across this. Is it you?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@believer258: If I could have returned it for the 360 version so I can hear it in 5.1, yes, I would return it, but I can't now. And yes, I just created that after this. I want the best way to play the thing I bought, and the PS3 version isn't it. I wouldn't return the game if there was no other version, but then again, if it didn't support Dolby Digital, I'd still be disappointed, like the God of War Collection. It's not as irrational (oh, a pun!) as some may think, though I can understand why some don't care about it as much as I do.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@ntm said:

@believer258: If I could have returned it for the 360 version so I can hear it in 5.1, yes, I would return it, but I can't now. And yes, I just created that after this. I want the best way to play the thing I bought, and the PS3 version isn't it.

I don't mean to kick you when you are down or anything, but it would be good to find out if there are version differences before purchasing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bioshock-infinite-face-off

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@oscar__explosion said:

@ntm said:

@believer258: If I could have returned it for the 360 version so I can hear it in 5.1, yes, I would return it, but I can't now. And yes, I just created that after this. I want the best way to play the thing I bought, and the PS3 version isn't it.

I don't mean to kick you when you are down or anything, but it would be good to find out if there are version differences before purchasing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bioshock-infinite-face-off

Yes, I checked that long before, and even today and yesterday before I decided. I do look at the differences as well all the time. I'm always prepared, but I don't, and don't think I should look into the sound because it's just to be expected that it'd support this. I wouldn't have ever questioned it for this game. I mean, I can understand why they didn't do it for some early PS3 games, and HD collection games, but from experience, this has never happened before; a new game that doesn't do Dolby Digital. In this day and age, that's unheard of.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By beforet

I don't think it's crazy to return over something like this. It's a minor issue, yeah, but it should be supported in both. At least if one version supports it, in any case. Sorry man, maybe you can turn it in for some credit? You're still paying more than you should, but maybe if you trade it in and put it toward a used copy 360?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By gaminghooligan

As a former Gamestop sla... "employee" my manager would usually take returns even for small issues like this for store credit. So I don't see why they wouldn't exchange it for the 360 version. If they won't contact Gamestop about it, they usually fix customer problems asap if you threaten them with losing your business.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan: I'm not going to threaten anyone, and how does the store credit work? Don't I have to have some sort of membership there, or something? I don't go to GameStop anymore since there are places closer, the only reason I went this time was because Bioshock was cheaper there than anywhere else around here.

It's not going to be as simple as going in and asking is it? I assume they'll just say what the policy is (which I already know) and then I'll be on my way, which is a waste of time. The other best way, which is just so stupid of me, is to wait for my birthday, and have my friend buy me it, so I can give him the PS3 version...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@ntm: Well the store credit will be a refund for the exact amount you bought it for day of sale, they'll put it on a little gift card. It has nothing to do with membership. However if your gamestop is super strict about the rule than you're going to have to be a little aggressive about the return to make them care. When I say contact Gamestop I don't mean threaten the manager at the store with losing business. Call or email their customer support, they handle complaints better since they are distanced from the problem and usually told to just make the customer happy.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No offense NTM but its a minor issue really. You're right in saying sound matters but can you honestly hear the difference?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@rebel_scum: Yes, I can definitely hear the difference.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ntm said:

@rebel_scum: Yes, I can definitely hear the difference.

Can you explain? I usually don't notice/care about small details as I'm pretty easy going with tech but a bit of knowledge doesn't hurt.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: Everything sound-wise is in front of me due to it all being two channel, so when someone's behind me in a game, say Elizabeth, or bad guys, and they say something, I'll have to guess where they are rather than know exactly where they are, and sometimes, it'll confuse me 'cause if I think the person is one place, and I hear it somewhere else, I'll for a second assume it was just some other non-important character speaking.

Or gunfire, it'll be harder to tell where the shots are coming from. It really just breaks the immersion for me, and if I can, I'll always choose what suits my setup best, but with this I can't. So far, the game is really great, but I wish I had the other version. I'm a little hesitant to play since I'm not experiencing it in the best way I can, and when I play, while I am pretty into it, just the thought that I could have it a little better worsens it some, and it makes me care a little less, which is unfortunate.

To me, it's like choosing between a version of some game that runs at 30 frames per second or 60, I'd rather choose the 60. Technically, if I had the sound system to support Digital Surround, the PS3 version would be the way to go, but I'm not going to buy a new sound system just for one game. As I said, some people just don't care about this kind of stuff, but I do. When something better comes along to help immerse me into the games world, and if I have money, I'll buy it. In this case, I'd rather just have the 360 version since I don't have money to buy a sound system.

The difference in sound isn't minor to me. I like leaving an area in a game, or have my back to something and hearing what's behind me from the back speakers, not hear it all in the front speakers.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

Hm, never mind. The game is compelling enough without it, so much so I just played it for about seven hours straight (with a few times of getting up and moving around), though still, it would have been nice to hear it in 5.1.

strangecargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By strangecargo

I assume your sound system doesn't do 5.1LPCM, which the PS3 version supports and would be superior to the lossy digital multichannel formats?

I've 1000'd/platinumed/whatever'd the game on all 3 platforms and I'd say you're probably better off with the PS3 version, as far as the two console versions go, particularly pertaining to sound quality. The sound mixing and audio quality on the 360 is noticeably worse than on PC/PS3. I remember several instances where ambient speech on the 360 was impossible to understand due to poor mixing (and maybe lower sample rates as well). I also feel that the emotional impact of the music and audio design was hurt a bit by lower quality audio on 360 compared to PC/PS3.

I also think the PS3 version has a slight edge in terms of responsiveness and visuals, at the cost of some noticeable tearing in a few spots. The internal rendering resolution is supposed to be higher on 360 (1152x720 vs 1152x640), but it's impossible to notice with the postprocess AA solution that the game uses. I found that the peculiarities of the 360 hardware gamma setup ended up crushing a lot of the dark tones in the game, which was much more detrimental to the visuals than a lower internal rendering resolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.