Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Bioshock 2: If you ain’t MW2, don’t even try multiplayer

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticFalconar

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010.

I gotta just start this off and say I am not a fan of FPS games in general. There is just something about most FPS games where I just get motion sickness and I can read in a moving car and boat just fine. So whenever a new must play FPS game comes along, I would be forced to play it in set playtime increments.

This would make my favored FPS games mainly single player experiences since I can take my time and pause/save as needed to get through the game. To that effort, Bioshock 1 was the best FPS of the year it came out for me and it was all down the story telling and somewhat unique gameplay which is debatable. So what could top it, what could follow it up? Bioshock 2?

I knew going back to an old world is not going to be as interesting as a discovering a new one, but the gameplay was still solid and a slight fleshing out of the story was refreshing. It’s just too bad, there was a big misuse of money from management is saying there must be a multiplayer segment in the game; and nobody fucking cared.

MW2 had come out at least 3 months before and people had kept playing it. It doesn’t matter that other games like MAG, Bad Company 2, or Metal of Honor tried to do the same thing. Even Halo Reach is now deemed a faggy game by teenagers as nothing will beat the Modern Warfare franchise. Of course the only thing that will overcome MW2 was Black Ops and perhaps if I knew and understood the multiplayer aspect of FPS games I could understand why.

So FPS fans, did you think Bioshock 2 multiplayer was a waste of money to develop, or were they just missing that certain something that just didn’t make them good enough?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010.

I gotta just start this off and say I am not a fan of FPS games in general. There is just something about most FPS games where I just get motion sickness and I can read in a moving car and boat just fine. So whenever a new must play FPS game comes along, I would be forced to play it in set playtime increments.

This would make my favored FPS games mainly single player experiences since I can take my time and pause/save as needed to get through the game. To that effort, Bioshock 1 was the best FPS of the year it came out for me and it was all down the story telling and somewhat unique gameplay which is debatable. So what could top it, what could follow it up? Bioshock 2?

I knew going back to an old world is not going to be as interesting as a discovering a new one, but the gameplay was still solid and a slight fleshing out of the story was refreshing. It’s just too bad, there was a big misuse of money from management is saying there must be a multiplayer segment in the game; and nobody fucking cared.

MW2 had come out at least 3 months before and people had kept playing it. It doesn’t matter that other games like MAG, Bad Company 2, or Metal of Honor tried to do the same thing. Even Halo Reach is now deemed a faggy game by teenagers as nothing will beat the Modern Warfare franchise. Of course the only thing that will overcome MW2 was Black Ops and perhaps if I knew and understood the multiplayer aspect of FPS games I could understand why.

So FPS fans, did you think Bioshock 2 multiplayer was a waste of money to develop, or were they just missing that certain something that just didn’t make them good enough?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Just started playing the game myself, and haven't touched the multiplayer. And I have no intention of doing so, because I'm having plenty of fun with the single player, and I have Blops if I want to go online and shoot people. 

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

I think all of Bioshock 2 was a waste of money.  It was a slap-dash cash-in.  The multiplayer was interesting, but riddled with lag and the fact that Bioshock has never been a combat-focused experience.

But, that being said, I will also say that MW2 is no where near the pedestal you seem to be placing it on.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seeing as there was 3 years (well two if you round down) between the two games, it was barely slap-dashed; although a cash in is probably correct. The pedestal I place MW2 on is purely based on the sales figure and lingering popularity it has. I wouldn't be surprised if the true hardcore FPS fans actually hated MW2/Black OPs, and played Reach or MAG instead. I don't claim myself to be a true fan of FPS games so this is just how I see it from an outsiders Point of View. 

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By me3639

Heres my .00001 cent opinion. First i dont totally disagree with your thoughts. Its plainly obvious if i were making a game i wouldn't waste money or resources on adding multi player. That being said as a gamer who plays a lot of different titles/ genres with little or not interest in playing multiplayer i found that Bioshock's mp was actually fun. I didnt play for a long time, maybe got to level 10, but i thoughts it perks, balance, environments, weapons  and a real emphasis on teamwork were done well. In the end its all the same, different strokes for different folks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.