Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Sigh, there goes the EA pre-order mayhem ...

• 74 results
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

So apparently you get this when you pre-order from 2 specific retailers in the UK.

I bet the ammo will have a marginal effect and you might get a reskinned version of the LMG, but EXCLUSIVE WEAPONS? COME ON!
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By SMTDante89
    @Wuddel said:

So apparently you get this when you pre-order from 2 specific retailers in the UK.

You get... nothing?

Well, besides the game itself.
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By GoofyGoober

Yeah, I guess u get nothing...

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wuddel
    @SMTDante89: Image showing correctly now.
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

why do they insist on breaking the game just for a pre-order bonus?  weren't the free old maps good enough?

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By amomjc
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    why do they insist on breaking the game just for a pre-order bonus?  weren't the free old maps good enough?
    Because EA wants your money, not your satisfaction of the game when people romp you you with better weapons and you don't know whats going on.
    Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xdsk

2 new weapons for the campers, great stuff.

Before i catch hate saying "camping is legit", shut up.

I would rather get maps as a pre-order bonus, because knowing EA these weapons will be progress unlocks anyway.

Edit:Having thought about it i like the look of the tripod on the LMG, hoping that you will be able to set up guerilla machine gun points. And rarely do i see people rocking shotguns online anyway.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I would wait and see if this stuff breaks the game before I get all pissed about it.  

Pre-order bonus weapons are a stupid idea, but they're typically cosmetic (ironically making them even stupider).
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard
    @Xdsk said:
    2 new weapons for the campers, great stuff. Before i catch hate saying "camping is legit", shut up.I would rather get maps as a pre-order bonus, because knowing EA these weapons will be progress unlocks anyway.
    You do get maps as a preorder bonus.

Camping is legit.

I would assume "Exclusive Weapon" means no, it does not unlock. The Shotgun however does, as it says "Day One Access" clearly. EA aren't conning anyone folks.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Yeah. One exclusive gun that's probably worth fuck all once you've leveled past level 5 and a day one unlock for a shotgun, a rather useless weapon on large battlefields. 

I highly doubt balance will be broken because some Brits get a machine gun. Let's see how much damage it does to my Abrams. 
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vodun
    @Xdsk: What in blazing fuck do those weapons have to do with camping? Neither is more suited for what might be considered camping than any other weapon type. One might even argue that the shotgun is much LESS suited for that tactic.

And how the FUCK is "  guerilla machine gun nests" not camping? Either way, assholes calling out campers need to get the fuck outta my games and learn to play.
    Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xdsk
    @Chavtheworld said:
    @Xdsk said:
    2 new weapons for the campers, great stuff. Before i catch hate saying "camping is legit", shut up.I would rather get maps as a pre-order bonus, because knowing EA these weapons will be progress unlocks anyway.
    You do get maps as a preorder bonus.

Camping is legit.

I would assume "Exclusive Weapon" means no, it does not unlock. The Shotgun however does, as it says "Day One Access" clearly. EA aren't conning anyone folks.
    Yeah i know you get maps as a pre-order hence "i would rather get maps"

"Exclusive" for a time, everyone knows EA business model, get pre-order sales then offer the pre-order weapons at a later date for a charge.

@PhatSeeJay said:
    Yeah. One exclusive gun that's probably worth fuck all once you've leveled past level 5 and a day one unlock for a shotgun, a rather useless weapon on large battlefields. 

I highly doubt balance will be broken because some Brits get a machine gun. Let's see how much damage it does to my Abrams. 
    Im sure you guys in the US will get something along the same vein. If you get a new assault or engineer weapon im not going to be a happy gamer.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360

What do i get for pre ordering from steam?

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xdsk
    @Vodun said:
    @Xdsk: What in blazing fuck do those weapons have to do with camping? Neither is more suited for what might be considered camping than any other weapon type. One might even argue that the shotgun is much LESS suited for that tactic.

And how the FUCK is "  guerilla machine gun nests" not camping? Either way, assholes calling out campers need to get the fuck outta my games and learn to play.
    How is a shotgun unsuitable for camping? Low range high damage, sounds to me like a campers wet dream. Guerilla machine gun nests would in essence set up, hit, then run. Kinda the opposite of camping.
    I hope i never get into your game, because i would be quite happy to repeatedly take you tags.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

BEFORE ANYONE GOES BATSHIT INSANE ABOUT THIS PACKAGE

I've been watching the shitstorm on the official BF3 forums closely, and here's what's going down :

Demize99 tweeted that the game will have no magnum ammo, no armor piercing ammo, no juggernaut, no armor or anything that increases damage/increases safety.
    • the magnum bullets presented here are only extra effective against metal surfaces and thin walls 
    • the exclusive guns aren't especially powerful, and will not unbalance the game (they're like the M1 in BC2)
    • the sniper rifle suppressor is not a silencer, it has another purpose. a more minor one (blocking bullet trail or something)
    • the DAO-12, which is a beast of a weapon, will be an early access for pre-orderers, and NOT an exclusive (you can get it after playing for a while)

However, it's still extremely pathetic and disgusting that EA would sink that low in desperation for our money and attention.. i hope BF3 is a financial failure, that'll teach EA to step down and let Activision handle the hordes of brainless minions who'd buy a COD figurine for 1000 bucks. 

People are already making jokes about a Battlefield 3 Modern Warfare pack (this one's called Physical Pack), and a Battlefield 3 Economical Warfare Pack
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vodun
    @Xdsk: The definition of a camper is someone who stays in a single position for any amount of time. Setting up a machine gun nest is about as fucking stationary as you can get. Someone running around with a shotgun is...you know...mobile.

Feel free to try getting my tags ass wipe, I'm a tank driver.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wuddel
    @scarace360 said:
    Usually nothing. EA hates Steam, and I bet they will not even release the DLC through it.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wuddel
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Well, I never doubted that the bonuses will keep the balance intact, but the completionist in me cries out in pain.

Ok. This is not how business works. If BF3 fails EA will either end the BF-franchise or make it even more like COD (= MOH multiplayer). They will NOT make it a more expensive (read: quality) product to sell it to even fever (read: hardcore bf fans) people. So you better hope it to be a huge success.
    Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xdsk
    @Vodun said:

@Xdsk: The definition of a camper is someone who stays in a single position for any amount of time. Setting up a machine gun nest is about as fucking stationary as you can get. Someone running around with a shotgun is...you know...mobile.

Feel free to try getting my tags ass wipe, I'm a tank driver.

Eugh, i said Guerilla Machine guns point. I mention the Vietnam war as this tactic was rampant. Soldiers would place thier machine guns on a log or other hardpoint, ambush the enemy then withdraw.

No problem, im an engineer player. Blow you up then stab you when you run from your burning husk.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vodun
    @Xdsk: Yeah I think you need to look up what guerilla means as well. Nothing to do with mobility, merely using tactics more suited for a small unit of men rather than large scale warfare. Literally means "little war"...and what tactic is usually used by guerillas? Ambushes! And what does an ambusher do? SIT IN A SINGLE POSITION WAITING FOR HIS TARGET!

No matter how you try to turn it around, you are describing a "camping" tactic. Realize that camping as a term has no meaning any more and play the game however you want.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Wuddel said:
    @scarace360 said:
    Usually nothing. EA hates Steam, and I bet they will not even release the DLC through it.
    That's not true, though. They had pre-order offers on Steam, similar to retail, for both Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor. Them not releasing DLC for steam was more a PC thing. Pretty sure the only PC dlc they released was that SPECACT thing. 
    They want to push all three platforms this time so it would be very stupid of them to not have the same dlc deals ready for PC/Steam as well. 
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

If Steam doesn't get anything, guess I won't be getting any pre-order DLC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic

People who think PC gaming = Steam only, are fucking idiots.

i'm sorry, i had to vent.
    Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xdsk
    @Vodun said:

@Xdsk: Yeah I think you need to look up what guerilla means as well. Nothing to do with mobility, merely using tactics more suited for a small unit of men rather than large scale warfare. Literally means "little war"...and what tactic is usually used by guerillas? Ambushes! And what does an ambusher do? SIT IN A SINGLE POSITION WAITING FOR HIS TARGET!

No matter how you try to turn it around, you are describing a "camping" tactic. Realize that camping as a term has no meaning any more and play the game however you want.
     Guerrilla warfare is a form of irregular warfare and refers to conflicts in which a small group of combatants including, but not limited to, armed civilians (or "irregulars") use military tactics, such as ambushes, sabotage, raids, the element of surprise, and extraordinary mobilityto harass a larger and less-mobile traditional army, or strike a vulnerable target, and withdraw almost immediately.

Straight outta wiki as i cannot be bothered to type it out. Your assumption that i dont understand a word that i typed is very nice of you.

Quite frankly this has veered so far off topic it is irrelavent. But setting up a machine gun position in a high traffic area, hitting the enemy then moving is kinda not camping. Camping is sitting in one position for an extended period of time e.g a sniper in a bush, a dude in a house.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wuddel
    @PhatSeeJay: Yeah, BC2 had "DLC" for steam. if you consider SPECACT being DLC. And Vietnam was an Expansion. Though some games with considerable DLC like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins had PC-DLC, which wasn't released through steam. Also they pushed extremely for pre-ordering outside of Steam. The Limited Edition of Dragon Age 2, which was essentially a DLC-pack, was only available outside of Steam (thats why I ordered the awful game from Amazon). Apart from the whole "no DLC for PCs thing" they did with NfS and Dead Space 2.... So BC2 on steam was rather the exception than the rule.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arker101

As long as that shotgun doesn't turn into this.  

I'll be happy.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vodun
    @Xdsk: Oh ok, so as long as you move after you've been sitting in the same spot for 45 minutes it's not camping but guerilla warfare? Yeah...it "kinda is" camping.

You're obviously never going to realize you use the tactic you yourself say you hate. I'm simply going to again state that; play the game however you want, but as long as the enemy killed you you're still the one who fucked up. There are no cheating tactics.
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By jkuc316

Hey its one of my fave shotguns, DAO-12!

Too bad I can't pre-order, as Im already preordering Uncharted 3

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wuddel
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

People who think PC gaming = Steam only, are fucking idiots.

i'm sorry, i had to vent.
    Thats really mature of you... Wel l, Steam is REALLY convenient, and kind of reinstalled my faith in PC gaming that can be seamless on the technical side (outside of Blizzard). I am a Mac user and have no time and interest to dive deep into the internals of my PC which has no added value for me beside gaming. I think I am not alone with this opinion. That being said. I installed games without Steam. Well I did not particularly enjoyed it so. Why the hate? People are just "voting" with their wallets.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Wuddel said:

@PhatSeeJay: Yeah, BC2 had "DLC" for steam. if you consider SPECACT being DLC. And Vietnam was an Expansion. Though some games with considerable DLC like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins had PC-DLC, which wasn't released through steam. Also they pushed extremely for pre-ordering outside of Steam. The Limited Edition of Dragon Age 2, which was essentially a DLC-pack, was only available outside of Steam (thats why I ordered the awful game from Amazon). Apart from the whole "no DLC for PCs thing" they did with NfS and Dead Space 2.... So BC2 on steam was rather the exception than the rule.

Very much true, but DLC packs weren't released through Steam because it wasn't necessary. They sold everything from the Bioware Social platform so why bother with Steam when it was functioning with it anyway? 
    I just consider the EA fps games the exceptions since MOH and BC2 were both automatically updated with the latest maps and things you otherwise had to buy online VIP or map packs for on the console. 
    Then again, they could be pushing less for BF3  on Steam and more for the EA download platform. They have conveniently updated that software with friends lists now, so it's very much possible they will go full on with that instead.
    NFS was a travesty though. I was so pissed off when they announced they had no plans on DLC for that game. The Burnout Paradise "ultimate pack" wasn't exactly ultimate either, a lot of cars and shit missing. 

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wuddel
    @PhatSeeJay: offtopic, but you know I never got the DAO stuff I bought from the Bioware plattform to work with the steam version ... never showed in game, although that "updater utility thing" claimed there were installed correctly.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That stuff definitely doesnt look that great and granted its probably a lame move from EA, but I thought that pack cost the same as preordering the regular game from any major UK store?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunkulese

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. It's free stuff and if you care enough about the game that this bothers you wouldn't you be preordering it anyway?
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By damodar

I find this no less egregious than any other pre-order bonus. That being said, I find pre-order bonuses to be quite egregious.

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xdsk
    @Vodun said:

@Xdsk: Oh ok, so as long as you move after you've been sitting in the same spot for 45 minutes it's not camping but guerilla warfare? Yeah...it "kinda is" camping.

You're obviously never going to realize you use the tactic you yourself say you hate. I'm simply going to again state that; play the game however you want, but as long as the enemy killed you you're still the one who fucked up. There are no cheating tactics.

I dont realise the game strategy i apparently use, wait what? Whatever man, state what you like, just for the record i never said camping was cheating but is a cheap tactic. Although in BF2 it is encouraged by the nature of some of the maps and objective placement.
    Ive got better things to do than argue with people on the internet. Good day to you.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Xdsk said:
    2 new weapons for the campers, great stuff. Before i catch hate saying "camping is legit", shut up.
    I think you're confusing a main-series Battlefield game with arena shooters... (example: Call of Duty, Bad Company, Team Fortress 2)
    in an arena shooter, campers hinder the flow of action, and do not help their relatively small team (which, for being small, requires all the man power possible)

in a main-series Battlefield game however, which is far from an arena FPS, there are thirty two people on each team, and literally acres of in-game land spread for miles.. there's no such thing as "camping" in a Battlefield game. campers are snipers, and sniping is absolutely legitimate in a main-series Battlefield game, hell, it's even enjoyable.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli
    @csoup said:

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

Because EA wants your money, not your satisfaction of the game when people romp you you with better weapons and you don't know whats going on.
    EA's actual retail business is between them and the retailers. Providing such exclusive deals to big retailers gets them to sell more copies to these retailers, which hope to secure a larger portion of the BF3 retail business this way.

I hate this practice, but business is business and I guess they have to do this shit in order to secure major retailers to stock up big time and make huge sales. Just hoping my local retailer will get this bonus too or I'm gonna be majorly pissed.

Shit like this is way uncool with pre-order exclusive guns. In the larger scheme of things it's meaningless, nontheless a kick in the balls to us fans. Fucking retail business. When will they finally kill that off.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By scarace360
    @Wuddel said:
    @scarace360 said:
    Man i fucking hate that why cant EA be the bigger man and just put the fucking dlc on steam.
    Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gav47
    @scarace360 said:
    TF2 hats
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scarace360
    @Gav47 said:
    @scarace360 said:
    TF2 hats
    ok thats another good reason to pre order.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By No0b0rAmA

In Battlefield 2 DAO is fucking overpowered as hell. I hope that since it's a pre order bonus, it won't be so cheap.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By mikemcn

Hahahaha its a console focused game, you Battlefield Lovers are going to cry when its nowhere near what the hype makes it out to be. Pre order bonuses are another example of DICE selling out and putting profits before players. Which is a shame, because i've been enjoying battlefield 2 lately. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn said:
    Hahahaha its a console focused game, you Battlefield Lovers are going to cry when its nowhere near what the hype makes it out to be. Pre order bonuses are another example of DICE selling out and putting profits before players. Which is a shame, because i've been enjoying battlefield 2 lately. 

:(

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DonPixel

As good as bf3 looks i might just start not buying EA games no more, that shit is getting crazy... mass effect 2 and dragon age are full of that crap

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DonPixel said:
    As good as bf3 looks i might just start not buying EA games no more, that shit is getting crazy... mass effect 2 and dragon age are full of that crap
    Would you rather have innovation, cutting edge technology, and soul in products but with the downside of having alot of commercial crap, or having annually rehashed and soulless products with even MORE commercial crap? 

i thank god for EA's solid existence in the industry today... they're responsible for some of the greatest titles out there. don't make me list 'em, I WILL!
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being as the shotgun says "Day 1 Access" and the T88 and the rest are "Exclusive access"  I'm assuming besides the shotgun pre-ordering is the only way to get those.  WHICH IS TOTALLY FUCKING DUMB.  I hate pre-order shit like this.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DonPixel
    @Ahmad_Metallic: No deny EA is putting good stuff out dude, But there are other major publishers putting good stuff as well and no one is even close to EA DLC frenzy..  Considering I can't play them all I might just stop buying EA.. I like to vote with my money. 
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts
    I can't say I'm surprised after the whole map shit. Fuck EA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.