Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

64 players on PC, 24 on consoles.

• 78 results
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/battlefield_3/b/xbox360/default.aspx  (check the "multiplayer" tab) 

While not 100% accurate, the GameInformer website lists BF3 as support 64 players on PC and 24 on consoles. Given that they have the exclusive, the number is probably accurate. ' 

64 players seem appropriate for PC, and the disparity between the consoles shows that the PC version will be significantly better than the console version. Hopefully DICE will be putting in the proper amount of work to create a great game. 

However, the GameInformer website also refers to a "single-player" mode... is this a tutorial? Bot matches? An actual singleplayer a la Bad Company? We won't know until tomorrow... 

So 24 players on consoles... seems very low, and is a clear indication that you will want to buy Battlefield 3 for PC when it comes out later this year.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Ah.... huh... So it sounds like they're probably cordoning off the larger PC maps. Makes sense I guess. I wonder how many console maps one full sized PC map makes. 

You think they'll make 3 maps out of each PC map? Or do you think they'll ship with the same number of maps and console users have to play Rush to see the whole thing like Bad Company?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Actually, according to the Sony E3 Conference, BF3 will have 64-players on the PS3 version. I also heard that the 360 will have 32.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Zapbrader

When one version of a game is supposed to have 3 times the player capacity than the other, your practically talking about two different games.  If so, then the console version will be right on par with Bad Company 2, *and the PC version will have doubled its predecessor*, which so far is a good sign (for those worried).

*Nevermind, I'm getting confused with numbers.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Zapbrader said:
    " When one version of a game is supposed to have 3 times the player capacity than the other, your practically talking about two different games.  If so, then the console version will be right on par with Bad Company 2, and the PC version will have doubled its predecessor, which so far is a good sign (for those worried). "
    No, the PC versions of the full BF games have had 64 players for a good while.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By captain_clayman

BAHAHAHA 

pc for the win.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

Nice. Battlefield is at it's best with huge well battles. I am excited.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mcfart

Uhh, I doubt it. DICE just shut down 2 projects to put more staff on BF3...I doubt they'd be able to design 2 different games. Besides, the console audience=more money then PC pirates. Although BC2 sold more on PC then individual consoles, DLC always sells better on consoles. Just look at the COD map packs....nobody bought em on PC, whereas they are trannie sex on consoles.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jayross
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " Actually, according to the Sony E3 Conference, BF3 will have 64-players on the PS3 version. I also heard that the 360 will have 32. "
    heh, I wrote that, and it was just speculation of what Sony could do. Never happened, though.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lemoncookie01

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mcfart said:

" . Besides, the console audience=more money then PC pirates. Although BC2 sold more on PC then individual consoles."

Totally accurate bro, its not like I have a Steam account full of legitimately purchased games or anything. Fuck paying for stuff man!

"DLC always sells better on consoles. Just look at the COD map packs....nobody bought em on PC, whereas they are trannie sex on consoles. "

That's because they usually don't release pay DLC for the PC.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

yeah, but are they going to create 64 player maps or just create one map than everyone uses? because then 64 players is way too much for a smaller map

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chrisovc

Not a 100% sure, but hasn't it said 64 players for PC and 24 for consoles on their website for awhile? (could be wrong) and it also says theres no multiple difficultly settings or subtitle options, so either there is no story to the game and just a bot mode (tho would be nice if you could set the difficulty for the bots) or the information is just inaccurate right now.  
    Tho if it turns outs true, will have to convince my friends to buy it for the pc.  

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zapbrader

Hopefully if it really is the sequel to Battlefield 2, then we're talking ginormous maps. 

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By B0nd07

As long as the single player mode is how it was in previous games (offline practice, not a campaign), it's sounding OK so far.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By warxsnake

Planes 
    Proper joystick support 
    Game recording embedded 
    squad mates can only spawn on squad leader or a squad beacon
    better Voip integration 
    Bring back the proper Q-menu  (i.e. tap to spot, hold for radial menu)
    Bring back the proper Support class, and give medics back their ARs.  
    larger maps 
    Iteration on conquest and rush game mode mix: incorporate a dynamic front line composed of control points or more varied objectives (tired of destroying mcom stations). 

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By fripplebubby
    @Mcfart said:
    "  Besides, the console audience=more money then PC pirates. "
    It's true that there is more money in consoles, but who the hell is dumb enough to pirate a multiplayer game? 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Fripplebubby said:
    " @Mcfart said:
    It's true that there is more money in consoles, but who the hell is dumb enough to pirate a multiplayer game?  "
    Exactly. The piracy argument doesn't even apply here. Obvious trolls, I suppose.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By august
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Fripplebubby said:
    " @Mcfart said:
    It's true that there is more money in consoles, but who the hell is dumb enough to pirate a multiplayer game?  "
    Exactly. The piracy argument doesn't even apply here. Obvious trolls, I suppose. "
    There's no reason not to pirate a multiplayer game if there are dedicated servers for you to play on and you don't give a shit about persistent stat tracking.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE
    @Mcfart said:

" Uhh, I doubt it. DICE just shut down 2 projects to put more staff on BF3...I doubt they'd be able to design 2 different games. Besides, the console audience=more money then PC pirates. Although BC2 sold more on PC then individual consoles, DLC always sells better on consoles. Just look at the COD map packs....nobody bought em on PC, whereas they are trannie sex on consoles. "

First you suggest that BF3 will sell more on consoles then you contradict yourself by admitting that BC2 sold more on the PC. 

Troll harder.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
    @bitcloud: Sure, it's possible, provided you have the server software or spend enough time reverse engineering some. But how much fun could that actually be (not being able to rank up globally, lack of anti-cheat software, limited competition, etc...) ? That sounds incredibly dull.
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickLott
    @bitcloud: Pirate servers have no quality control and are full of people aimbotting which still happens on official servers and approved servers but it is regularly combatted and the players are subject to bannings. The vast majority of Battlefield PC players prefer a quality multiplayer experience which is why BC2 and it's predecessors have done exceedingly well on pc. 
    djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By djaoni
    @MrKlorox said:

" @bitcloud: Sure, it's possible, provided you have the server software or spend enough time reverse engineering some. But how much fun could that actually be (not being able to rank up globally, lack of anti-cheat software, limited competition, etc...) ? That sounds incredibly dull. "

Not to mention not every mp game can be reverse engineered. Make proper protection and it will never happen. 

@bitcloud said:

" @nicklott: Quality control all depends on the admins and perma banning for them is good enough. Yet BC2 has still sold much better on consoles for the same reasons pretty much all games do.  

@MrKlorox: I don't think the extent pirates will go surprise anyone anymore. Ranks and unlock data will all be stored clientside too. All this has been done before and pretty much any multiplayer PC game you can name.     "

Consoles couldn't even complete the challenge for the extra maps. Where did you find out it sold much better on consoles?
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NickLott
    @bitcloud said:
    teh lulz
    And with that, I don't need to reply anymore.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

Is this 100% confirmed yet? If not I'll wait to hear word from DICE. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RE_Player1
    @bitcloud said:
    " @RE_Player92: Don't know yet, 64 was the BF2 max on PC and console BF games have never gone over 24. This is the easy assumption. "
    But with games like MAG out you think they should feel the pressure to go all out on consoles. 
    djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By djaoni

I removed kills. I forgot it was spotting, healing and whatnot. 360 was barely halfway with PS3 way behind 360(because of stat tracking? Would probably been around the same as 360 otherwise?) when it was unlocked on PC. 

32 vs 24 players would not affect that since there's more than enough servers.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By meteora

Hopefully with a higher player count they actually make maps large enough to support that player size. 

It better not be one of those situations where a server can support up to 64 players but play on a small cramped map aimed for 12-18 players on the consoles, like with COD4 when there were 64 players playing on Crossfire on the PC.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NickLott
    @RE_Player92 said: 
    But with games like MAG out you think they should feel the pressure to go all out on consoles.  "
    MAG was not a runaway success so I don't think they're feeling any pressure from it. 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RE_Player1
    @bitcloud: Exactly. I'm not saying MAG has become the new Call of Duty in terms or popularity but from a tech perspective it did innovate a bit for console shooters. 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ch13696

I doubt the PC version will have 64 players. I think everyones forgetting that Battlefield 2142 had 124 players on some maps. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ch13696 said:
    " I doubt the PC version will have 64 players. I think everyones forgetting that Battlefield 2142 had 124 players on some maps.  "
    I don't think that's accurate at all. I have over 400 hours in 2142 and the max is 32v32.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Simplexity
    @ch13696:  Last thing they should do is try to take something from BF 2142, god that game was horrendous.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ch13696
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " I doubt the PC version will have 64 players. I think everyones forgetting that Battlefield 2142 had 124 players on some maps.  "
    I don't think that's accurate at all. I have over 400 hours in 2142 and the max is 32v32. "
    I don't have that many hours, but I remember there being maps for 64 vs 64. Well, I know they didn't have it for conquest maps, but I'm 100% certain I've played 128 players on Titan. 

@Prodstep said:
    " @ch13696:  Last thing they should do is try to take something from BF 2142, god that game was horrendous. "
    I admit 2142 wasn't the best Battlefield game, but c'mon. There were some good things that came out of it. The vehicles had to be bad ass.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch3burashka
    @Jayross said:

64 players seem appropriate for PC, and the disparity between the consoles shows that the PC version will be significantly better than the console version. Hopefully DICE will be putting in the proper amount of work to create a great game. 

That's fucking ridiculous. Number of players isn't proportional to quality. The PC version won't be 2.66667 times better than the console versions. I don't know how they're making the maps and everything, but there's a chance it could be better on consoles. It all depends on how they design the levels, whether they make them for a medium or large number of players. I know MAG boasts a shitload of players, and Resistance 2 had 80-player deathmatch. However, you don't hear about them often.
    greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By greenblattsam
    @bitcloud: Still the PC will be the BEST version for any console.
    Stupot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Stupot

Well im glad its on console, if the player count is at 24 its not an issue really, a full game always felt like constant action. Don't know why people were opposed to the console getting BF3 but ah well, I'll put in the obligatory "PC gaming is dead...NOT HAHAHA!!11!" now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope to god the maps are DESIGNED for 64+ players. Just split the maps in to 3 sizes like BF2, and give the console guys the smaller two.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Chris2KLee

PC was probably where I was going to play this anyways. It will be interesting what the single player the mentioned is. I wouldn't be adverse to a tutorial like short campaign, anything that offers me the chance to practice flying the choppers and planes, which I never could master during Multiplayer games.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vitor
    @Mcfart said:

" Uhh, I doubt it. DICE just shut down 2 projects to put more staff on BF3...I doubt they'd be able to design 2 different games. Besides, the console audience=more money then PC pirates. Although BC2 sold more on PC then individual consoles, DLC always sells better on consoles. Just look at the COD map packs....nobody bought em on PC, whereas they are trannie sex on consoles. "

You'e talking about a multiplayer game here - those are much harder to pirate and the BF series has always sold well even when it was a PC exclusive. 

Even with private servers, it's still more of a hassle and that will curb piracy to an extent, I assure you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.