Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1943

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 08, 2009

Return to the Pacific Theater in this simpler, downloadable, console-exclusive sequel to the massive World War II first-person shooter Battlefield 1942. It was later shut down on December 2023.

Battlefield 1943 Hands-On: Little Download, Big Action

• 109 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

I haven't played a Battlefield game seriously since the original 1942 stormed the online beaches seven years go, so I've been plenty hopeful about how the downloadable quasi-sequel Battlefield 1943 will turn out. DICE held an online multiplayer session recently so we could give the nearly finished game the what-for, and before I get too deep into describing it, please watch this video, in which I die a lot.

With its three player classes and four maps, Battlefield 1943 may not seem like the sort of big, varied Battlefield experience you've gotten used to. But it drills down to the essence of what made the original Battlefield 1942 such an entertaining and enduring multiplayer game: guys driving tanks and flying planes around an island, blowing each other up. For $15, what more do you want?

All your favorite vehicles and turrets are here. 

Sure, some aspects of the game have been simplified. The guns have unlimited ammo. There's no dedicated healing class. You can't go prone. And the larger, landlocked battles of the European Theater are nowhere to be found; this is strictly an island-hopping affair. I fought across three of 1942's classic maps from the Pacific--Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, and Wake Island--and remembered that these maps have a healthy mix of fighting on the ground, on the water, and in the air. (EA wasn't running the fourth map, Coral Sea, which grognards will remember focuses even more heavily on naval and air combat.)

By and large, this feels like Battlefield 1942, though there are a couple of new mechanics in here that change up the gameplay slightly. I found an air raid ability that you could activate from within a specific bunker on Wake Island; once you send the radio request for the raid, the game puts you in the perspective of a bomber squadron that essentially flies itself. You get one chance to bomb per raid, and you can switch to a camera underneath the planes to easily pick your target on the ground. Hit one button and watch a carpet of flaming destruction cover a large area of the ground. This ought to be devastating if you can hit a control point where a lot of enemies are grouped together.

Bad Company's destructible geometry is also in here, letting you do things like plow right through a thicket of trees in a tank, or blow a giant hole in the side of a building that enemies are using for cover. The game seems to be very selective about things you can destroy--it's limited to trees, fences, and buildings, from what I could tell--but that extra freedom should still change up your strategies a bit.

It's actually possible to fly the planes effectively. 

Otherwise, the flow of the battles was remarkably familiar to me, with all the good and bad parts of 1942 more or less intact. The good: rolling into an enemy-controlled camp in a tank, blasting infantry and wrecking opposing vehicles while your gunner up top mows down infantry who are trying to shove a grenade up your tailpipe. The bad: spawning on an aircraft carrier and watching as all your teammates each jump into a PT boat and drive away, forcing you to swim for five minutes to reach shore. Remember that? There's no "I need a lift!" voice macro anymore (nor the classic "Go go go!" for that matter), but then again, in their place we have proper voice chat. I'm excited to play a map like Wake Island once again with real proper voice chat in place to facilitate team strategies and coordination.

Oh, and a note about planes. In the quick look video you'll hear me complaining that the planes in 1943 are pretty much as tough to control as they were in the original game. I'll eat a little crow here; after an additional hour spent with the game, the planes slowly became easier to control, due mostly to the precision afforded by having two analog sticks to steer with. By the end of the multiplayer session, I was actually buzzing over and properly bombing enemy positions, something I never managed to pull off in 1942. There's a tutorial 

Those of you who look at 1943 and expect more: Fine, you're right, this is not a full Battlefield game the way Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3 will be. But considering what other kinds of games have come out on download services in the $15 price range lately, this looks like a significant chunk of game. It captures that large-scale, dynamic feeling of battle that the Battlefield series is known for, and isn't that what really matters?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

I haven't played a Battlefield game seriously since the original 1942 stormed the online beaches seven years go, so I've been plenty hopeful about how the downloadable quasi-sequel Battlefield 1943 will turn out. DICE held an online multiplayer session recently so we could give the nearly finished game the what-for, and before I get too deep into describing it, please watch this video, in which I die a lot.

With its three player classes and four maps, Battlefield 1943 may not seem like the sort of big, varied Battlefield experience you've gotten used to. But it drills down to the essence of what made the original Battlefield 1942 such an entertaining and enduring multiplayer game: guys driving tanks and flying planes around an island, blowing each other up. For $15, what more do you want?

Sure, some aspects of the game have been simplified. The guns have unlimited ammo. There's no dedicated healing class. You can't go prone. And the larger, landlocked battles of the European Theater are nowhere to be found; this is strictly an island-hopping affair. I fought across three of 1942's classic maps from the Pacific--Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, and Wake Island--and remembered that these maps have a healthy mix of fighting on the ground, on the water, and in the air. (EA wasn't running the fourth map, Coral Sea, which grognards will remember focuses even more heavily on naval and air combat.)

By and large, this feels like Battlefield 1942, though there are a couple of new mechanics in here that change up the gameplay slightly. I found an air raid ability that you could activate from within a specific bunker on Wake Island; once you send the radio request for the raid, the game puts you in the perspective of a bomber squadron that essentially flies itself. You get one chance to bomb per raid, and you can switch to a camera underneath the planes to easily pick your target on the ground. Hit one button and watch a carpet of flaming destruction cover a large area of the ground. This ought to be devastating if you can hit a control point where a lot of enemies are grouped together.

Bad Company's destructible geometry is also in here, letting you do things like plow right through a thicket of trees in a tank, or blow a giant hole in the side of a building that enemies are using for cover. The game seems to be very selective about things you can destroy--it's limited to trees, fences, and buildings, from what I could tell--but that extra freedom should still change up your strategies a bit.

Otherwise, the flow of the battles was remarkably familiar to me, with all the good and bad parts of 1942 more or less intact. The good: rolling into an enemy-controlled camp in a tank, blasting infantry and wrecking opposing vehicles while your gunner up top mows down infantry who are trying to shove a grenade up your tailpipe. The bad: spawning on an aircraft carrier and watching as all your teammates each jump into a PT boat and drive away, forcing you to swim for five minutes to reach shore. Remember that? There's no "I need a lift!" voice macro anymore (nor the classic "Go go go!" for that matter), but then again, in their place we have proper voice chat. I'm excited to play a map like Wake Island once again with real proper voice chat in place to facilitate team strategies and coordination.

Oh, and a note about planes. In the quick look video you'll hear me complaining that the planes in 1943 are pretty much as tough to control as they were in the original game. I'll eat a little crow here; after an additional hour spent with the game, the planes slowly became easier to control, due mostly to the precision afforded by having two analog sticks to steer with. By the end of the multiplayer session, I was actually buzzing over and properly bombing enemy positions, something I never managed to pull off in 1942. There's a tutorial 

Those of you who look at 1943 and expect more: Fine, you're right, this is not a full Battlefield game the way Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3 will be. But considering what other kinds of games have come out on download services in the $15 price range lately, this looks like a significant chunk of game. It captures that large-scale, dynamic feeling of battle that the Battlefield series is known for, and isn't that what really matters?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Can i have it free pleasey?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By teh_destroyer

looks pretty sick,might give it a shot.

first post by the way?
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By lemon360

hm

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By wrecks

Yes! True to form Brad... nice opening suicide attempt. haha.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phlegms

Battlefield style multi-player games seem really outdated compared to the bigger multi-player shooters now. Bad company's online proved that to me..

funkyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By funkyboy

Brad drove off the cliff!!! LOL.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

Looks sweet.

@Pie said:

" Can i have it free pleasey? "
    Free giveaway, yes! Let's make it happen! And Pie should win this time...as well as me ;)

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coltonio7

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By smokeH

Nicee article brad, also nice quick look. Might get this onee hopefully if I have some money! Thanks BRAAAAD

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By LincoIn

Loved Bad Company's multiplayer, will definitely give this a shot.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxNBxx

But Brad don't you play all games to die?  =P

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By teh_destroyer
    @xxNBxx said:
    "

"
    He at least plays games that are worth dying for ;).
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pie
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " Looks sweet.

@Pie said:
    Free giveaway, yes! Let's make it happen! And Pie should win this time...as well as me ;) "
    Damn right...
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xxNBxx
    @teh_destroyer said:
    "@xxNBxx said:
    "

"
    He at least plays games that are worth dying for ;).
    "

I don't think I would call "Legendary" a game I would want to die for.  lol   But, Battlefield is.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16  Edited By SunKing

Thomas Hobbes, 17th century political philosopher, describes playing a round of Battlefield 1943: "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short".

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#17  Edited By ManMadeGod

So when does this come out?

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shabs

I've only tried Heroes, but this doesn't look much different from Battlefield: Heroes, and BH is free while this is not.  Just saying...

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xxNBxx
    @SunKing said:
    "Thomas Hobbes, 17th century political philosopher, describes playing a round of Battlefield 1943: "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short". "

I think he was talking about your sex life...   ZING!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52
    deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when is this coming out?

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lacke
    @Shuborno: Seriously. This is worlds apart from Heroes. Unless you're the kind of guy that thinks [Insert genre] games are all the same.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SunKing
    @xxNBxx said:
    " @SunKing said:
    "Thomas Hobbes, 17th century political philosopher, describes playing a round of Battlefield 1943: "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short". "
    I think he was talking about your sex life...   ZING!!! "
    Awwwwwwwww :'(
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SunKing

Seriously though, I don't like Battlefield.

Yobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yobalt

24 players in my Battlefield? Surely you jest.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

Awesome quicklook as always. My favorite format of games coverage. =D

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DerekDanahy

No quick look would be complete without Brad dying a few times.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Yzzerdd

90% of those gamertags are filled with numbers and X's

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BreakfastKing

Battlefield 1942 supported 64 player multiplayer, though these games often required players or clans to rent servers. Very few people opted to rent 64 player servers so many games wouldn't go past 32

Hoshnasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hoshnasi

Can you Jihad Jeep?

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Alphazero

I bought a flight sim joystick so I could better pilot the helicopters in Battlefield 2. Made a world of difference.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By kraznor

Looks potentially amusing, especially for the price. May consider giving it a shot.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Pkshields

Cannot wait or this, should be a lot of fun as long as their is a good amount of people playing. It's a battlefield game, so their should be.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By patrick

Brad should do every quick look.

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vampire_chibi

15$ Don't think, i can get a better game for that.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Bad Company engine re-skinned for the 1940s.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vasta_narada

Was Brad's first flak...on a teammate?

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Metiphis

I still play bad Company, fun as hell Multiplayer.  I'll never trade it in.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Crono

looks awesome, can't wait.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck
    @Pie said:
    I agree with this man. Freebies please.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pie
    @Azteck said:
    " @Pie said:
    I agree with this man. Freebies please. "
    I agree with this man. Freebies please.
    Kratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kratch

I wish they'd give us a goddamn release date.  I really want to play this before all the full-fledged stuff comes out this fall.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Hamz

Kind of looking forward to this especially for the PC version which is out Sept / Oct this year and is said to be getting some special attention to increase player numbers on servers and such like. Really interesting and cheap game that looks a lot of fun.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Radar

What's with the driving animation? Looks like you're riding on ice the whole time.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Impossibilium

3 maps for $15? Rip-off.

The original game didn't have very complex maps so you can pretty much guarantee those maps are going to be more paid DLC.

They remade BF42 maps for free in Battlefield Vietnam so they should have had no problem converting 3 or 4 other creaky old maps for this game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Meowayne

I can't wait. This is the one FPS I'm actually looking forward to.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By artofwar420

You're not payin@Impossibilium said:

" 3 maps for $15? Rip-off.The original game didn't have very complex maps so you can pretty much guarantee those maps are going to be more paid DLC.They remade BF42 maps for free in Battlefield Vietnam so they should have had no problem converting 3 or 4 other creaky old maps for this game. "
    You're not paying for the maps alone! You're getting a Battlefield game, besides statistics have shown that in multiplayer shooters, most players stick to a couple of maps. 15 dollars is a great price, well potentially.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HydraHam

Glad to see nothing has changed and everyone hordes all the vehicles and just drives off without picking you up.. really makes me want it /sarcasm

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By TheHBK

isnt this supposed to be out by now?

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

i loved bad company and enjoyed bf 2142, but 1942 was before my day so i should be like a kid in a candy store playing this on ps3.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By dudacles

Death is a common theme in any video where Brad picks up the controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.