Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 21, 2016

The long-running Battlefield series goes even further back in time in the 15th installment, this time to the first World War.

Open Beta Starts Today

• 146 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Just a heads up that the open Beta starts today for this game. Just got in myself and currently downloading through Origin. Looks like it is on both consoles as well.

I figured we could make a thread to try to play together if anyone is interested and give some impressions on the game. It's been a while since I played a BF online so give me a minute to make sure I put the right username out here so we can squad up.

Really excited to jump in! Will come back with impressions later. I believe it includes the desert map with the horses and armored train so there should be some new stuff to check out. I am very interested in how that will control and feel.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't think I got my invite yet, but can anyone tell me how well it runs on the PC?

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stuck at work until tomorrow. let us know what you think!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'd love to play today but didn't realise you had to sign up as a Battlefield Insider to get early access. Will have to wait to jump in tomorrow.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ghost_cat: Same as Battlefront and a little worse than Battlefield 4.

I like the setting (it's really just a WW2 shooter) and it's a Battlefield-ass Battlefield, but the selected map is too open and flat. I really hope that doesn't set the tone for the rest of the maps.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ghost_cat

@gundogan: Awesome, I guess I don't have to worry about performance too much then!

Now to wait for that email invite to hit. Got it, I'm RealmSweeper if anyone wants squad up and roll hard.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my invite this morning, but I'm stuck at work until this evening. I'll be playing for a few hours tonight if anyone wants to group up. I'm bmdubya on Origin.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to wait until tomorrow unless you signed up before a certain date.

I'll download it tomorrow when it's open for everyone and see what it's like.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get in while the getting is good on Light Tanks. No one goes out of their way to counter you so you get free kills and point captures for days. It also doesn't help that the anti-tank rocket gun requires a bunch of ranking up to get.

It's a solid BF game, but I'm not sure I can ever latch onto one of those without the mass amount of friends that I used to play with. I'll definitely be playing this in a more leisurely fashion than the past.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Will do. Supposed to be great on a 970 at least.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Runs great on a 970. Vsync on, everything on high. Beautiful. A bit dark but that can always be adjusted.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: I'm still running on a 670. Battlefront ran fine, but not as lovely as I wished for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: I JUST got this new build. Been running a 840M laptop for a while but never had the chance to try anything like Battlefront.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's the map, but this Battlefield feels a lot more savage than three or four. I remember relying a lot more on cover in the previous games to get an advantage on the opposition, but everyone is running all over the place that bunking behind cover doesn't feel as useful as it did before. And removing the healing ability from assault feels weird, as I don't know what to do with the assault class anymore.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One version looks and plays good. I like the streamlined UI, also liked the desert level. I got a little bit of BF1943 vibe from the game, which is a very good sign!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm signed up for the Insider thing (and have been for forever), but nothing showed up. Bummer...

On the off chance anyone has a code for PS4 or PC hit me up!

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Played a few maps of conquest, Liking it so far, the game looks and runs great for me, It feels more savage than the older games but i'm putting that down to the old weaponry, it's a nice change from the last two modern games. Been having fun with the planes, I like that there is locational damage on the vehicles now having one of your wings shot up really makes the planes hard to fly, also being able to blow the tracks off tanks to immobilize them is a nice touch. I have only seen the train once so far but we did manage to take 3 points with it, we still lost the match but it gave us hope, so it seems like it's working an intended.

Overall enjoying it.

jaynford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if anyone gets a spare PC key, I would greatly appreciate it lol

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer: @jaynford:

I ended up with a couple of spare PC codes, so I PM'd them over. Enjoy!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mister_v: I think you get the train near the end if you're losing (hard). Fun thing to choo-choo around with, but yea, you probably still lose the game most of the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resolution scale: 50% = 100%. I cranked it to 100% in game, so I unknowingly was pushed it to nearly 4k wondering why it was running bad. Keep it at 50% to render at your resolution. Runs fine. Chillin between 60 and 80fps at 1440p on ultra.

Liking it a lot. Not big on the UI (which borrows a lot from Battlefront). But the overall gameplay feels great. Timer on Conquest sucks. The stuff they did with personal points is... interesting. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Nice rocks...
    Nice rocks...
    FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By FoolishChaos

I thought I had signed up for the PC beta back during e3 but I'm not sure if that relates to the insider thing? Either way no email, bleh.

Looking forward to giving it a go after skipping hardline last year

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I also signed up for the insider a while back and got no e-mail but honestly I'm not chomping at the bits to play this thing. Surprised that Danny is so in love with this game as he's usually so critical about what I would call "mainstream shooters" and this looks like a very by the numbers Battlefield game albeit with a setting that severely limits your arsenal.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OurSin_360

Anybody try a gamepad on pc? I liked bf4 a lot in ps4 but not enough to keep paying for plus. Bf3 had terrible gamepad support even in single player.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone figured out how to rank up your class? Medic has been sitting at zero for me, and I play the job well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait to catch trenchfoot, choke on mustard gas, and have an arm blown off!!!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hayt

Check your spam folder if you haven't already. My bf1 code was in my "promotions" tab sandwiched by pizza coupons and scams.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

So far I really am liking it. It definitely feels like WWII and is giving me a strong 42 vibe. Some complain about the open level but to me it is very reminiscent of 42' Africa maps. If you are close quarters you need to stick to the right areas for example and sometimes you need to stick to crawling. I was a sneak fuck running around with an SMG back in 42' and this is already bringing me back, which contrasts to basically all the modern or future shooters I've played where I go assault rifle.

I have a 760 and it is running really well, if not as gorgeous as possible of course. Looks nice though.

My only complaint so far is the bolt action rifle feeling a bit weak at times and the destruction is pretty underwhelming, though I'm still getting a grip on it. It seems like you can make some big craters and blow some buildings up but I haven't seen enough of it. Doesn't feel as good as BC 2 off the bat at least.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JamMasterMango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mystupidmouth: No WWII. From the early footage it looked a lot like 42 was weapon wise and that has held up. There's just enough SMGs and LMGs out in the field that it feels like WWII over 1 and that isn't a problem for me at all. I have always enjoyed the weapon balance and dynamics that can come about with older weapons. The vehicles feel different but the weapons are very WWII game style.

People are doing well against me with bolt action weapons but I am not doing great with them myself yet. Seem a little weak.

@beardandcompany: Getting older BF vibes from it. Like I said more '42 but also more like 2. We will have to see how that holds up but that's a positive for me.

Also I have not rode a horse or been on the train yet but I have blasted a few dudes off horses and that was fun. One dude cut me down real good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ran a dude over while in the train.

klarckCent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By klarckCent

For the wankers: Battlefield 1 ultra settings@100%res scale. Plays like hardline set in WW1

Loading Video...

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Haven't played a BF game since BF3 came out. I forgot how god damn incredible sound can be in video games. Holy shit. No one else is even close to dice in this respect. The game is pretty damn fun too, except for when I played rush and died to a couple of guys going 20-0 in Impenetrable Ice cream trucks for half an hour. Those things seem ridiculously difficult to deal with.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hayt

Anyone able to force steam overlay working on this one?

Edit: You have to disable the Origin overlay and also launch the game from Steam when origin is closed. That works.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Sooooo, I played the PS4 version and the framerate, mostly in the middle of the city in the desert, is so god damn awful the game is basically unplayable.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played some of the xbox one version. it looks pretty good and runs surprisingly well. The game itself is alright. I still think all the guns suck because of the lack of customization options compared to the last two games. It was super satisfying though rushing a sniper and stabbing him in the fucking neck with my bayonet. The map feels kind of small, there are like two far away points and then everything else is in the middle. The dynamic weather looks cool but fighting in a sandstorm(especially flying) is lame. It also feels like the game rewards you way more for just running from flag to flag capturing them instead of actually having to hold them and defend. Also, conquest matches feel shorter. IMO they should probably be 5-10 minutes longer

Did they change how medics revive people? There is a request revive button now and when I played medic and saw teammates die I never got a notification to revive a teammate unless they requested a revive. if thats the case thats really dumb and pretty much ruins the medic class.

The beta definitely relieves some of the concerns I had for the game and Im definitely getting it. I still think WWI is a lame setting though and if they wanted to go back in time then this would have been a much better WWII game

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and to anyone wondering Class Ranks are bugged. It seems they aren't counting beyond the first server you join.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played a BF game since BF3 came out. I forgot how god damn incredible sound can be in video games. Holy shit. No one else is even close to dice in this respect. The game is pretty damn fun too, except for when I played rush and died to a couple of guys going 20-0 in Impenetrable Ice cream trucks for half an hour. Those things seem ridiculously difficult to deal with.

I forgot to mention: the sound is fucking great in this. Like you say DICE is always great but I think this is the best yet.

As far as tanks, be assault and use your anti-tank grenades. If you customize you can even have two sets of anti-tank grenades (the second one will be a light version but still).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mems1224: requesting revival eliminates the age old Battlefield problem of dying, getting revived in the wide open, getting instantly gunned down again, getting revived again - on and on instead of being able to simply respawn at a checkpoint. As an ardent medic since BF2 days I've had my fair share of shameful revives done purely for points knowing full well the person I'm "propping back up" will probably die instantly. At least now people are given a choice.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Played 10 minutes or so...despite the lack of a toggle aim down sites option, it seems fine. Looks good, sounds good. But BF4 still scratches my BF itch...especially since I haven't even gotten into that free DLC yet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: ah okay. I thought that was what was going on there. Will take some getting used to but I totally have experience with the shitty revives you are talking about. On this map in particular there are some areas where you just want to avoid a revive.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@mems1224: requesting revival eliminates the age old Battlefield problem of dying, getting revived in the wide open, getting instantly gunned down again, getting revived again - on and on instead of being able to simply respawn at a checkpoint. As an ardent medic since BF2 days I've had my fair share of shameful revives done purely for points knowing full well the person I'm "propping back up" will probably die instantly. At least now people are given a choice.

That is a problem that was very easily solved and they pretty much did in BF4 where you could reject the revive. The new system is dumb.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just revived before requesting a revive once in a match as well. I'm not sure if that "Request Revive" just puts in a UI prompt for medics?

Also, you can go to battlefield.com/career and be able to buy new weapons and all that. It seemed to me you couldn't do that in game. Just grabbed a bunch of new stuff, I'm about to dive in with it.

The one other thing I will say about tanks is I am being successful when I really throw my grenade right into the tank, especially it seems on the side of them. The grenades detonate on impact and it seems do a lot more damage that way.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mister_V

Has anyone else noticed that mines no longer persist after you die? As someone who used mines a lot in the past games this is a bit of a bummer for me. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional but I'm not sure what their reasoning would be to change that.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OurSin_360

Downloaded on pc and played a game with my 360 controller and it felt fine. I didn't do well but i never do but the main thing is that it was still fun as hell. I'm not into K/d and all that nonsense, but the chaos of the battlefield felt great. Spawning into a plane seconds before it crashes into a building, shooting a giant cannon into a group of soldiers, and getting blown up inside a building, all fun.

Gamepad support is wierd though, can't navigate the menu's fully for some reason even though it's obviously supported. Using a 360 pad so maybe it's build for a xone pad? Besides having to switch to mouse in menu's it was fine in combat though, still tweaking sensitivity. Also, couldn't get 60fps steady at 4k, but dropping the res down to 3200x1800 ran smooth (think it's about the same pixel count as ultra wide). Probably could scale a bit higher if i wanted to. Gtx 1080/ i56600k 4.2ghz

Might pick this up on pc, but i'll get some more play time in with it during the beta to see if the fun holds up.

edit: Also of note, i am not running the latest drivers as i've read people have issues with them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ArtisanBreads

So I have a bug where I am not level up the classes as at all. I didn't realize at first because there is a general progression too. I have seen online there is some bug where you can fail to get class progress if you play multiple games on a server. I have tried the recommended fix of leaving a server after a single game but I have not gotten anything to fix the issue.

There's more info here. DICE now knows about it at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/50axk1/bf1_open_beta_class_progress_glitch/

The reason I really started to notice was I was seeing awesome stuff used against me that I couldn't figure out how to get. There was one of my favorites in there too.

EDIT: actually seems like the pilots get that weapon.

Also, the Scout's Spotting flare is really silly but really useful.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pixelrat

@klarckcent: Not sure if you realize this, but resolution scale is bugged in the beta. 42% on the slider is your native res, 100% on the slider is over 200% your native resolution. That is why it runs like garbage. Basically he's trying to play at 4k+ on a single 1070 maxed out. That just inst going to happen.

I'm getting around 90 fps on ultra at 2560x1440 native on a 1070, way more if I turn down the AA as I don't see a huge visual difference in this game with/without. I'm also on a rather old CPU and for me this game is running better than BF4 does so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.