Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

If Battleborn went free-to-play tomorrow, would you play it?

• 61 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll If Battleborn went free-to-play tomorrow, would you play it? (537 votes)

I already own the game, but I'd love if it went free-to-play. 3%
    I own the game, and I'd be pissed if it went free-to-play this quickly. 1%
    Absolutely. I think it looks fun, and there would be lots of players that way. 1%
    Probably. I'd at least try it. It would be free, after all. 26%
    Nope. Even for free, I wouldn't play Battleborn. The game just doesn't look fun. 50%
    No, but that's only because I'm not a fan of the genre. Nothing against Battleborn. 19%

As I'm sure many of you heard, Battleborn was released at the beginning of May, and less than three months later has already been sold for as little as $15 as part of a humble bundle package.

So do you think Battleborn needs to go free-to-play, and would you even play the game if it did?

Also, why do you think so many companies keep chasing the competitive mutliplayer dollar with new IPs that have no established fan-base? Outside of only a handful of success stories--Titanfall, Overwatch, Rocket League--it seems to often end badly.

A single player game that doesn't take off is still worth playing for anyone interested sometime down the road. Meanwhile, a multiplayer focused game is only worth playing if there's a community to support it, and once that goes away, the game isn't worth playing or worth purchasing. While Battleborn isn't only a single player game, it does feature a short campaign and seems like most of the focus went into multiplayer.

• 
    GKabooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No because I found out how good FF XIV ARR is.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O wow, lol, those results are damning. Poor Battleborn, you misdirected, spiritless mash of better games.

Also no, only if they paid me. F2P would actually make it less appealing to me.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah. I don't have enough time to sink into a game like that any more. Looks interesting, though, and it's a bummer (from what I've seen of it) that Overwatch ate the entirety of it's audience.

Sad, because I know Battleborn is a drastically different game.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

This seems like an almost inevitable move. The only question is around how long it'll take for them to make the transition.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Last option. I haven't felt the itch to play Overwatch at all and never downloaded the PS+ demo or whatever it was of Paragon. Titanfall 2 E3 stuff looked really cool but I'm willing to admit if it didn't have a single player component I wouldn't be interested at all. I've only enjoyed one online multiplayer shooter, SOCOM II, and games like that don't get made anymore. Arguably The Last of Us' multiplayer came closest but in that case I still don't have the tight knit group of adolescent friends to form a clan and terrorize older gamers anymore. I'm just an older gamer myself that wants to play mic-less and immerse myself in other worlds.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

No. Having tried Paragon the other day, I've been reminded that money isn't the issue, time is. I'd rather have a game that's immediately satisfying than one that's free.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@johnymyko: besides calling characters "heroes", overwatch is not a moba in any way, shape, or form. It's a class based multiplayer fps.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: As Jeff has said, everything can be a MOBA now. But, anyway, I don't like class based multiplayer games neither.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By DocHaus

I played it during the open beta and I gave it an "eh it's okay" so I'll give it one more shot now that it's dropped in price.

For the record, I'd still take it over Paragon. Paragon looks real pretty but the pace of it is soooooo sloooooow that I never touched it again after playing a couple of rounds in the alpha.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could pay me to play it and I'd probably turn you down.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dochaus said:

I played it during the open beta and I gave it an "eh it's okay" so I'll give it one more shot now that it's dropped in price.

For the record, I'd still take it over Paragon. Paragon looks real pretty but the pace of it is soooooo sloooooow that I never touched it again after playing a couple of rounds in the alpha.

Yep I'm 100% with you on that. Played 3 matches and never wanted to touch it again. You can figure out which game that applies to.

It's both

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.