Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

Has the Beta Changed Your Mind?

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By squiDc00kiE

Poll Has the Beta Changed Your Mind? (275 votes)

Yes, I did not expect to like it at all and now I do! 15%
    Yes, I lost all interest in it after playing. 15%
    No, I had high interest and I continue to have a high level of interest. 1%
    No, I was not interested and still have no interest. 30%
    Just show me the results! 39%

Before the open beta for Battleborn went live, I had very little interest in it. I was greatly anticipating Overwatch, and still am, and I've put thousands of hours in Dota and League collectively, so another moba-like wasn't something I was looking for. I thought I'd check out the open beta just to get an informed opinion, but didn't expect it to hold my attention much longer than a match of incursion or two. After playing the open beta for 3 days my mind has completely changed and now I cant wait to get home from work to play more. The variety in the different modes, either competitive or cooperative, the depth of all of those modes as well as the heroes, the systems around the gameplay, all are much more interesting than I was initially expecting. I expected to have a very similar opinion to the general opinion of the Giant Bomb staff, but after playing I have swung hard to the other side. I'm very curious what other duders have thought after playing the beta.

• 
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was interested to play it and hoping it'd be another game I loved (after loving Borderlands 1&2), but playing the beta I didn't enjoy it at all. As a competitive focused game I just don't think it plays well enough, particularly when engaging in melee. After playing the beta I did basically lose all interest.

Mind you, I was playing it on my own without any friends and I've only played a little. However, what I played left me not wanting to touch it anymore, and there's not much point if I don't really enjoy it on my own.

Thought it looked pretty nice visually, at least. :P

Side note: playing the game made me think back to Monday Night Combat and how much I enjoyed that game. As a dirty console gamer it's a bummer that Super Monday Night Combat never made it to consoles.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a bad feeling that this game is going to go the same way as 2K's last big multiplayer game, Evolve, which I thoroughly enjoyed to my surprise.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yes, I've enjoyed my time with this game a surprising amount. I didn't know a single thing about it before hand other than it was developed by Gearbox, but the open beta has really sold me. Writing is still abysmal, however.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havn't put enough time into it because of my dark souls marathon but it seemed ok with a lot of good ideas but a little too chaotic for me. Felt like competitive borderlands(without the loot drops) to me more than anything else.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went into the beta with little to no expectations and enjoyed it a lot. I'm probably gonna end up picking it up, although I'm sorta worried about the announced content. With only two maps per mode (and I didn't enjoy Meltdown that much) I doubt I'll play it for more than a week, if that.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gundogan

I.... kinda like it? The technical performance is not very good on the PC (disappointing framerate, a lot of lag and warping expierenced by everyone in the game) so I might not buy it, but the gameplay is alright. It seems to be the right kind of MOBA for me where there's just enough shooting going on and not that much of the typical MOBA toxicity.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't like the aesthetics and found the first person view to make things more annoying than enjoyable.

I loved the level-up and upgrade system because it was so quick and the on-the-fly binary choices keep things fast paced. The balance and features seem well executed, and the different heroes had some good variety, but personally now there's no chance that I'm gonna spend time with the game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Kinda? I expected to like it, but not as much as I did. I had a fucking blast. I would definitely but it, but there are so many games coming out in May/June and I feel like once those other games drop, I probably won't touch Battleborn again.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was hoping that despite the MOBA like feel to the game that I would be able to enjoy it but sadly I was over it after just a couple of matches.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If it had been 3rd person like Monday Night Combat so I could really enjoy the spectacle of the characters and all the crazy stuff happening around me I think I would really enjoy it, but as is I have zero interest in another 1st person shooter no matter the window dressing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games seems totally serviceable, I might play it if it's on PS+ sometime. Thanks for the free 20 hour demo.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm not a big MOBA fan but I do enjoy popping into one for a bit as a good podcast game.

Battleborn is just so jumbled and busy it simply isn't for me. I'd have to put in more time just to ensure I understand the maps and flow of the game just to survive.

Smite seems more my speed.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I have tried the closed beta before and hated it back then but now i really like it. This game is one of those games that requires more attention and patience for you to like it.

My biggest issue with this game is its release date.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the main thing for me is that it's ok. It's not great and it's not terrible, but if it is F2P i'd prolly play it every now and again.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I played the closed beta (alpha? I can't remember) and that definitely made up my mind for me: I hated every second of it. Something about it just feels entirely unfun and incredibly unpolished. I couldn't be less interested in the game now.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the co op caimpaign only so far and really enjoyed it, it plays like a less stiff borderlands without the worry of running out of ammo all the time.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit as that German Robot dude and really enjoyed him. Some of the melee stuff seems a bit weak, but the main multiplayer modes seem pretty cool. I guess it all comes down to a set of characters that you like playing as. If there are only two or three viable options, it might get a bit repetitive.

The coop-missions seemed a bit underdeveloped compared to some Borderlands stuff. Oh and by the way, I would love to have a new Borderlands game about 10x as much as this game.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a lot of fun with the beta, but I also think I got my fill of the whole game in the beta? Its strange. I came into expecting absolutely nothing, ended up having a ton of fun with it, and now I kind of don't want to play it anymore.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@two_socks said:

I had a lot of fun with the beta, but I also think I got my fill of the whole game in the beta? Its strange. I came into expecting absolutely nothing, ended up having a ton of fun with it, and now I kind of don't want to play it anymore.

That's undoubtedly down to how much of the game is available for free for everyone to play. 2/8 story missions, 2/3 modes each with 1/2 maps per mode, and most importantly all of the characters. It's pretty crazy when you consider just how much of the game they've given so many people to play completely free. How long is this open beta going on anyway? It's at the very least been a week it seems.

Honestly I feel inclined to buy the game just because of how much time I've gotten out of the beta... It's pretty absurd.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By two_socks

@yummylee: I think the beta ends on the 18th? So for PS4 players its been out for a bit now. And yeah, thats probably the biggest factor of why I feel done with it; I've played so much of the content, or at least what feels like so much of the content in the game. I'm not super interested in more story missions based on the two I've played and while I think the competitive stuff is fun I'm also not really feeling the draw to keep playing it. In most "betas" I find myself wanting more, but in this I feel like I've almost been given too much.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I was curious about it before, but now am nooooot interested.

Played more of the Battleborn beta thing before it ended, and it ain't great. Everything about it feels so slow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.