Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

Battleborn is going free to play, but Gearbox isn't calling it free to play

• 57 results
    Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Sometimes when you look at the twitter discussions Randy engages in , you expect him to be a indie dev working on his first game. But he has been the CEO of Gearbox for 18 years! How do you still get involved in passive agressive bitchfights over Aliens: Colonial Marines when it's clear that whatever you say regarding that topic will be damaging to your brand. I really don't understand.

You can call it a free trial, but anyone that has played f2p games recognizes this model as f2p. And that doesn't necessarily has to be a bad term. There are a lot of fun f2p games out there that capture a good amount of players. Actively getting upset about people calling it F2P seems counterproductive.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The way Randy was going on about it on Twitter it first sounded like he had wanted to call it F2P so as to get attention in the F2P sections of the digital storefronts. But then it turns out he had wanted Battleborn to appear as both a retail priced and F2P product and get double the exposure? I don't think it works that way.

Just take the L, Randy, holy shit. The naming of this is actively hurting the chances of this being some grand resurgence of Battleborn. Also, stop tweeting. I get it, there are a lot of assholes on the internet and you feel like it's right to stand your ground but enganging in verbal mudslinging with anyone that happens to draw your attention is not a good look for you and it's not a good look for Gearbox.

There ARE a lot of assholes on the internet, but when he uses his company as his own personal soapbox to repeatedly deceive consumers, MAAAAAYBE in a Twilight Zone-twist, HE'S the REAL asshole...

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Wasted development time/money that could have gone to the game everyone actually wanted, Borderlands 3!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Randy Pitchford actively drives me away from trying Gearbox games. I know that's a dumb opinion/view to have but I can't help it.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By RiotControl

I downloaded this to play some matches and... as far as I can tell, the only mode for you to play is versus AI with other players. There is no option to play against other players that I can find. Maybe you have to reach a certain level via vs AI matches, but it seems like you can't just jump into a real MP match. Also, the story content is not for "free trial" users.

Was Gearbox trying to cause the same game to flop spectacularly TWICE? There's people on the Steam forums who don't even know whether or not to bother with the game if it's just a "trial" as well as players complaining about the "free trial" description deterring players from bothering... They were obviously right. Then there's people like me trying to figure out how you even play online against other players to begin with. There's also people who actually own the game begging Gearbox to let the "free trial" players play the story co-op missions so they can actually find people to play the game online with in the story missions.

This is just... so weird. Why does Gearbox have to be so weird?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I downloaded this to play some matches and... as far as I can tell, the only mode for you to play is versus AI with other players. There is no option to play against other players that I can find. Maybe you have to reach a certain level via vs AI matches, but it seems like you can't just jump into a real MP match. Also, the story content is not for "free trial" users.

Was Gearbox trying to cause the same game to flop spectacularly TWICE? There's people on the Steam forums who don't even know whether or not to bother with the game if it's just a "trial" as well as players complaining about the "free trial" description deterring players from bothering... They were obviously right. Then there's people like me trying to figure out how you even play online against other players to begin with. There's also people who actually own the game begging Gearbox to let the "free trial" players play the story co-op missions so they can actually find people to play the game online with in the story missions.

This is just... so weird. Why does Gearbox have to be so weird?

This is probably because they don't want new players to get crushed by veterans while they still have no idea what they're doing. I'm sure once you level a bit, you can play matches with other players. Paladins does the same thing, only it's a little less clear about it. You Tube is full of videos of people playing Paladins for the first time, and thinking that they're just naturally great at the game, or that all the other players are horrible. Meanwhile, they're just killing low skill bots. It's kind of funny.

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I don't think this is an dumb or unreasonable opinion at all. More and more Randy Pitchford comes off as a pretty awful guy who constantly seems to be doing things to undermine the success of Gearbox.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.