Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

Battleborn is a good game.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I always got the feeling the consensus was that Battleborn was a pretty average game, like nothing offensive just kinda...there.

Recently it was in a Humble Bundle so I figured I'd give it a try. Funnily enough the bundled one is a TRIAL with some free DLC worth 10 bucks. Sure.

Anyway I've played about 10 or so hours and gotta say, the game is pretty damn fun. The characters are varied enough to make them interesting. Only visually though. Their personalities are grinding at best and hearing the same things over and over is kind of annoying. One of the little shits just says "ow ow ow" constantly when they get shot. It's realistic but annoying.

Wish more people were playing it honestly. It takes a good 10-20 minutes to find a game on the PS4. The matches last a little too long too I think. They are often around 30 minutes and usually the last 10 minutes of a match is a very steep decline in a teams favor.

I know Overwatch pretty much ate this guys lunch, but the games are really different. It's weird people like me couldn't get past the whole "hero game" thing.

There's a free trial of Battleborn if you wanna try it.

Atlanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played it when they did the open beta before launch(if i remember correctly) and i never got why everyone was so hard on it, i remember being bothered by some characters weapons talking up the whole screen but for the rest it was ok. But i guess that was its problem, it was ok in a time when people were feeling the Overwatch Hype. I played both games in betas before release and bought neither because going in to a online shooter i want to feel that lasting power, and they did not do it for me.

That being said, in the last year i thought about buying Overwatch once or twice but never did, never thought about Battleborn again though...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I've never tried it, but I'm not interested in such a game. I am not interested in Overwatch either for instance.

The thing is, Blizzard kind of pushed to advertise Overwatch against Battleborn. It was a strategic move to try and get people in the mindset that they'd be similar games, they'd have to choose one of them and theirs has the Blizzard tag. I'm not saying every single person who dislikes Battleborn fell for it, but it sure worked. Battleborn was pitched against Overwatch in every person's assessment and today still you can't bring up Battleborn without almost everyone saying 'Overwatch was better'.

The truth is they are different games. Battleborn probably has more similarities with Paragon than Overwatch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the beta before launch and it was just flat out boring and the writing was flat out bad. Didn't help it was low res and ugly on ps4 either. Maybe i just dont like mobas although that is the only one i tried so far lol.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Tried the beta too. Sorry but it is not a good game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlanton: Everyone's hard on it because it's cool to hate Gearbox. They made some bad choices, but I don't get the run 'em out of town attitude towards them that everyone exhibits.

I think I got it on the same bundle. Not out of hate, but I have so much game to game I probably won't get to this for awhile if ever. There's gonna be sacrifices.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't bad, probably on the same level of something "pretty good" like Ghost Recon Wildlands or The Division quality wise. It deserved better on some level, but much like Titanfall 2, the release date was so idiotic I don't have much sympathy for the game or dev. I played more Battleborn than Overwatch. I think Overwatch is very overrated, probably the most overrated game of this generation. Paladins is much better IMO. Battleborn was interesting since it had MOBA elements. Since the Paladin devs also make Smite, it would be interesting to see them add a MOBA-like mode to Paladins.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

10-20 minutes to matchmake is a deal breaker for me

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@slag said:

10-20 minutes to matchmake is a deal breaker for me

Same here. Maybe they wouldn't have that problem, if they would have recently made their game actually free-to-play, instead of the ridiculous half-measure they went with.

But yeah, Battleborn is a good game. It's not a great game, but it's nowhere near a bad game either. It's kind of a shame that it didn't do better, because it's actually quite different than Overwatch and other hero shooters.

It wasn't bad, probably on the same level of something "pretty good" like Ghost Recon Wildlands or The Division quality wise. It deserved better on some level, but much like Titanfall 2, the release date was so idiotic I don't have much sympathy for the game or dev. I played more Battleborn than Overwatch. I think Overwatch is very overrated, probably the most overrated game of this generation. Paladins is much better IMO. Battleborn was interesting since it had MOBA elements. Since the Paladin devs also make Smite, it would be interesting to see them add a MOBA-like mode to Paladins.

The difference is that, even now, it takes about 10 to 20 seconds to find a game of Titanfall 2, rather than 10 to 20 minutes.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

That's definitely what I say whenever I'm being shot.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This launching along side Overwatch didn't help although there totally different games, Blizzard did everything in it's power to bury Battleborn at launch. With a beta weekend at the launch of Battleborn etc.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Your the first person i heard that said, Paladins is better then Overwatch. Good for you !

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For me, this was never about Overwatch and all about just how much I didn't like Battleborn. However, I can agree it wasn't wise to launch a class-based character-driven online game in the same general vicinity as Overwatch. I just didn't find the gameplay to be fun at all. The art was a mixed bag. I'm not a MOBA guy either so that probably is part of it.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Battleborn is a game I enjoy"

There I fixed it for you.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

@deathstriker: Your the first person i heard that said, Paladins is better then Overwatch. Good for you !

Well, I guess if I'm the first you encountered I must be the only one in the world... even though most people I know who have played both games likes Paladins more, not everyone just goes with the more popular one.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By optimalpower

@deathstriker said:
    @soulcake said:

Well, I guess if I'm the first you encountered I must be the only one in the world... even though most people I know who have played both games likes Paladins more, not everyone just goes with the more popular one.

Turns out Paladins is actually a much better game than Overwatch once you realize how much more there is to it. Way more options in how you play the heroes and ultimates aren't nearly as powerful in most cases too which makes it better by default, at least for me.

As for Battleborn, I played during the beta and while I didn't hate it, it certainly was not what I was looking for. It didn't help that the color palette was extremely garish.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battleborn is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!

Come at me bro. Two words: Bad-ASSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.