Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

Battleborn in new 2K Humble bundle

Peleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Battleborn is in the new 2K humble bundle for 15 bucks. talk about a game taking an immediate nosedive.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

Yikes. That is a really quick move to a bundle. Most indie devs don't even put their games in bundles this quickly.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$15 is above the very obvious upcoming price of $0.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

$15 is above the very obvious upcoming price of $0.

Really though it's more like you're shelling out the $15 for Borderlands Pre-Sequel and all the other stuff and they're just slipping Battleborn to you under the table like a thing that you never even wanted so, still $0?

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it MP only?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Maybe Battleborn will have more than 500 peak daily players soon?

Also this game is still $60 on Steam for some reason.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If early adopter were pissed about that first price drop that went down to $40 for a while immediately after launch, they sure as heck won't be happy about this, if they're still playing.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tempting but I'm not sure I can live myself for owning several copies of Duke Nukem Forever

Dr_Unorthadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This for me looks to be the last push to get players paying up front for the game before going for £0....

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigsocrates  Online

@humanity: I don't understand why early adopters would be upset. It's a multiplayer game (mostly.) No population = game is pretty useless. 2K isn't going to magically conjure up a bunch of people willing to pay full price for Battleborn so it is in the early adopters' interests for 2K to try to do SOMETHING to gin up a reasonably robust population.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Humanity

@bigsocrates: They'd be upset because they paid $60 and then a month later the game is selling for $15. I mean that kinda sucks. Thats like buying a pair of shoes for $100 and then a week later they're on sale for $20. Sure you still got a fly pair of kicks but it's not a good feeling.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those sneaky press fucks!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't really care for this game at all and i think it's getting a very shitty rap. being gearbox it was inevitable a lot of people would dislike and ridicule the game on principle right out the gate.

i may actually pick this bundle up.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigsocrates  Online

@humanity: Yeah except if nobody else buys the game it's worthless to you. This is like being upset because you bought concert tickets and they were going to cancel the concert but then instead they reduced the price and sold enough to not have to cancel. Does it kind of suck to have paid more than others? Sure. But presumably you wanted to play the game, and this gives you a better shot, and other people getting a deal doesn't reduce the value of what you have. Either way you're stuck with the game at $60, but at least if others can be brought on board it's not a $60 coaster (or worthless download.)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have most of those games already, don't have battleborn or pre-sequel though. Battleborn felt really boring when i tried it on ps4(and was super ugly). I enjoyed the first borderlands but didn't get much into the second, how is the pre-sequel? Also how is mafia 2?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: well not really because in the concert analogy you never got to experience the thing you paid for in the first place. These people bought the game and played it at the height of it's popularity near the release date.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I threw down on the $6 tier. I wanted to go back and play a good looking version of Darkness 2 and Mafia 2.

Man.... They should make a new Darkness and a new Syndicate.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Cybexx

That bundle is crazy. It even has a 40% off voucher for XCOM 2 thrown in.

Battleborn is inevitably going to free-to-play soon though I imagine Gearbox is watching Evolve very intently right now to see how that goes before jumping in themselves. The thing is that 2K will probably handle the transition like Evolve and allow people who own content in the original version of the game to unlock that content in the free-to-play version. So $15 to unlock all the base heroes is not a bad deal considering the average pricing of free-to-play games.

Also nice to have some Steam copies of games I enjoyed on Xbox 360 like Darkness 2 or Spec Ops: The Line.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is not at all surprising considering that according to SteamSpy the game has sold ~160,000 copies on PC. I also bet that if the game goes F2P it won't be until spring 2017.

I feel for the people who bought this game at full price.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a pretty good game - mainly because of the MOBA-like incursion mode, but people just jumped on the Overwatch bandwagon and ignored it. Also, they're not even as similar as many people claim. Battleborn does have some problems - like it shouldn't have been $60, should've had more maps, and them making a campaign was a waste of resources, but I'd say those first two things about Overwatch, which has even less content than Battleborn, R6: Siege, and Evolve. Overwatch is nice dumb fun for like a week or two, but both of these games should've been $20 to $40 or F2P with Smite's business model.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm honestly just kinda glad that this game has been forgotten and Overwatch is 2-3 weeks away from no one mentioning it anymore (Already barely mentioned by most publications or forums). I still don't understand why games keep following the Brink/Evolve model, I know plenty of people bought Overwatch and that is fine, it is solid, but I got to play the Xbox One beta for a week and a half why you would buy it after that I have no clue.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly just kinda glad that this game has been forgotten and Overwatch is 2-3 weeks away from no one mentioning it anymore (Already barely mentioned by most publications or forums). I still don't understand why games keep following the Brink/Evolve model, I know plenty of people bought Overwatch and that is fine, it is solid, but I got to play the Xbox One beta for a week and a half why you would buy it after that I have no clue.

Because its a solid multiplayer experience I enjoy with several friends?

Why would I buy a singleplayer game that I can beat in a week? Why would I buy food that won't last a week? Why bother buying anything as everything goes stale eventually?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Honestly at this point Battleborn needs to go f2p pronto, if for no other reason than to stop the drumbeat of constant bad news of low prices and speculation about its future.

It's the only way Gearbox can reclaim the image of the game and hopefully steer impressions back towards the more positive things the game has to offer and is doing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Sooooo... what's the quickest turnaround for a game from being $60 to F2P? Because I could totally see Battleborn getting there by the end of the year.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Battlebomba

HerrHeimlich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah I just wanted Battleborn so... for those you who didn't want it and want the other games here's some keys since I already have the other games.

Civ 5: 4NRE0-TD9I3-0X6M7

The Mafia II: 5IP96-AR7VA-9V2QD

NBA2K: 5MYJ0-75EPF-DAFX2

Have fun duders!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because its fun? isn't that why people play games?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

hobby-grade

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked it up. I'll try to find time in between my Dota2, CS:GO, and OW...maybe

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if i do get this that means theres three systems i own or can easily access that have the presequel on them that i havent even played yet.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@evilsbane: I've played overwatch more than any other game this year, because it plays so well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hope Gearbox didn't peak at Borderlands 2 because it's all been kinda downhill from there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Humanity

@mems1224 said:
    @evilsbane said:

Don't be absurd.

I had a ton of fun with Overwatch but in all honesty I haven't touched it in weeks, especially after getting Doom which is excellent. For some reason whenever I think about firing it up it seems like I've played all those maps to death and I'm not really advancing any stats forward so I should probably put my limited amount of gaming time each night to better use playing something new rather than pushing that same ol' cart on Route 66 for the 100th time.

Still a fun game, but it really needs more maps more than new heroes.

tanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By tanked

@climax said:

I just picked it up. I'll try to find time in between my Dota2, CS:GO, and OW...maybe

Why would you buy Battleborn if you're actively playing three other (and, let's be honest, better) competitive multiplayer games? I don't mean to criticize, I'm honestly just curious.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mmm, still a bit too much for me...

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: to each their own. That's not how I tend to approach multiplayer games. I don't need a progression system if the game is good enough to stand on its own. Sure it's the same maps but no match ever turns out exactly the same way. That's kinds the whole point of multiplayer games

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch is barely mentioned by by publications and forums? I'm interested to know what internet you spend your time on because I have seen no less than 3 articles about the new hero and patch from EVERY review site, and a gif or post from the Overwatch subreddit makes it to the front page literally every day. It is also consistently in the top 5 games on Twitch. If it's not for you then that's fine, but don't be delusional.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: in the case of Overwatch specifically I think a lot of matches actually do feel exactly the same. Still a great game, sure, but personally I don't get that "endless" playability from online shooters unless there is a tangible goal I'm working towards.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought about getting it, but I own almost all of those games. And buying a bundle for Duke Nukem and Battleborn seems not really worth it to me.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@matatat: Spec Ops: The Line is in the PWYW bundle, though, which makes it definitely worth it! I was so happy to see that pop up! After selling my physical Xbox360 version, I'm glad I can have that in my library again.

@humanity said:
    @mems1224 said:
    @evilsbane said:

Don't be absurd.

I had a ton of fun with Overwatch but in all honesty I haven't touched it in weeks, especially after getting Doom which is excellent. For some reason whenever I think about firing it up it seems like I've played all those maps to death and I'm not really advancing any stats forward so I should probably put my limited amount of gaming time each night to better use playing something new rather than pushing that same ol' cart on Route 66 for the 100th time.

Still a fun game, but it really needs more maps more than new heroes.

I had a response typed out for your "Don't be absurd," reply to "Because its fun? Isn't that why people play games?" But it itself is so absurd that I'm just now realizing it has to be sarcasm. Early morning for me.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Yeah that is one of the already owned games ;) and I just bought Darkness 2 this last Steam sale after eyeing it for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e03478498e78
    deactivated-5e03478498e78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is already dead for me on Xbox One, I only find a couple of games at peak time before my luck runs out. Even Evolve wasn't this bad.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanked: I'm a big fan of comp multiplayer games. I wanna try it out since I found the beta to be so terribly boring. I want to hold hope that it might've changed and form my own personal opinion on it.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@humanity said:

Sure you still got a fly pair of kicks but it's not a good feeling.

Except in this case you have Battleborn

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.