Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

$60 to $40 on eve of Overwatch release, release date adopters pissed

• 68 results
    Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Release date buyers bought the game at the price they thought it was worth the buy-in. The people that didn't think so waited and now can buy-in at a price they might find acceptable. If you're mad you didn't get the game for a cheaper price, don't buy-in at a release price.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By doctordonkey

Poor little feller never even had a chance. Not that he really deserved one, game is pretty piss poor, but still sad to see a lot of hard work go to waste.

Fun fact: at the time of this post there are three times as many people watching Overwatch on Twitch than copies sold of Battleborn across all platforms.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By colourful_hippie

I can't help but laugh hard at this

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Fun fact: at the time of this post there are three times as many people watching Overwatch on Twitch than copies sold of Battleborn across all platforms.

How do you know how many copies it sold across all platforms? How many did it sell?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I don't really think this will help them that much, lol.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've no interest in either game but if I were to get one it would be Overwatch. Blizzard is the best company in the world when it comes to supporting games. Diablo 3 and Warcraft 3 even got new patches.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm just going to try to break down what I think went wrong with this game.

1. $60 product in a genre that already has two massive F2P giants that have destroyed any newcomers, F2P or not.

2. Marketing not doing enough or not caring enough to differentiate the product from Overwatch.

3. Absolute mess of a UI. The largest mark I had against the game while playing the beta was that UI was just messy. Menus looked cheap (I know that's a big of a vague descriptor), and the information given to the player was not fantastic. I just don't understand how a team that's made some big shooters in the past can get this so wrong. I also personally think that most of the character design just looks ugly. Maybe on paper they seemed great, but the 3D models just don't look good to look at. Reminds me a lot of early Saturday morning shows that used CG that looks hilariously dated now, like Reboot or something.

4. New IP. Gearbox banked way too hard on their own name which, and let's be honest here, does not always inspire confidence. To most, Gearbox are the Borderlands people. Those are the games they know how to do. To anyone that is more into gaming, Gearbox are also responsible for Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem, along with possibly embezzling funds from Sega. This game could have so easily been Borderlands:Battleborn. Already established universe that people like, characters that people like, and also uses the only property that Gearbox seems to know how to handle.

Edit: I'm just going to add this. Usually teams make up new IPs so that they can add diversity to what they produce or do something new that would not have been possible with the old IP. This is where you can justify the risk.

It is entirely possible that the team at Gearbox just got tired of Borderlands. So what do they do to get away from Borderlands, a property set in outer space with diverse environments, light RPG mechanics, and a cast of colourful characters with writing that has a heavy emphasis on humour? They make Battleborn, a property set in outer space with diverse environments, light RPG mechanics, and a cast of colourful characters with writing that has a heavy emphasis on humour.

Where can the risk be justified?

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't remember any game dropping that quickly. I suppose this may help get some more people in, but even with selling at the same price as Overwatch, I just can't see a good reason to get Battleborn instead.

From my perspective, the only thing that's going to save this game is F2P. People really love hating on Battleborn while talking about how much better Overwatch is. This price drop should help a bit, but I doubt it will be enough to turn around the negative word of mouth. This just seems like the first slide down a slippery slope for this game.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sarnecki

I love Heroes of the Storm and DOTA 2, so I really wanted to dig this. The beta just never clicked with me to the tune of 80 dollars Canadian on Day 1.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I feel like the whole "Tracer pose" fiasco alone generated just as much if not more buzz than this game ever did.

I actually like this game, but it's abundantly clear that it never stood a chance to be a "hit." Personally, unless it's secretly doing super well and we just don't know about it, it's hard to see this sale as anything other than a last ditch effort to move some copies before sales essentially dry up for good.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By mike

This must be some sort of new record. The game has only been out for three weeks.

No Caption Provided

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socuteboss: Is it a better deal than the game being dead since not enough people were buying it at the higher price point? I think there is a case to be made that it is.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socuteboss: Is it a better deal than the game being dead since not enough people were buying it at the higher price point? I think there is a case to be made that it is.

I think the price cut is fine, but they should make the season pass free or maybe $5 rather than $20, since the price that it's being sold for now is making the season pass free for new people just 3 weeks later. If they really are struggling then they shouldn't piss off current players.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to try to break down what I think went wrong with this game.

1. $60 product in a genre that already has two massive F2P giants that have destroyed any newcomers, F2P or not.

2. Marketing not doing enough or not caring enough to differentiate the product from Overwatch.

3. Absolute mess of a UI. The largest mark I had against the game while playing the beta was that UI was just messy. Menus looked cheap (I know that's a big of a vague descriptor), and the information given to the player was not fantastic. I just don't understand how a team that's made some big shooters in the past can get this so wrong. I also personally think that most of the character design just looks ugly. Maybe on paper they seemed great, but the 3D models just don't look good to look at. Reminds me a lot of early Saturday morning shows that used CG that looks hilariously dated now, like Reboot or something.

4. New IP. Gearbox banked way too hard on their own name which, and let's be honest here, does not always inspire confidence. To most, Gearbox are the Borderlands people. Those are the games they know how to do. To anyone that is more into gaming, Gearbox are also responsible for Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem, along with possibly embezzling funds from Sega. This game could have so easily been Borderlands:Battleborn. Already established universe that people like, characters that people like, and also uses the only property that Gearbox seems to know how to handle.

Edit: I'm just going to add this. Usually teams make up new IPs so that they can add diversity to what they produce or do something new that would not have been possible with the old IP. This is where you can justify the risk.

It is entirely possible that the team at Gearbox just got tired of Borderlands. So what do they do to get away from Borderlands, a property set in outer space with diverse environments, light RPG mechanics, and a cast of colourful characters with writing that has a heavy emphasis on humour? They make Battleborn, a property set in outer space with diverse environments, light RPG mechanics, and a cast of colourful characters with writing that has a heavy emphasis on humour.

Where can the risk be justified?

I agree with most of your points (not the one about character design), but all games are flawed. I don't see anything more flawed here when it comes to the actual game than I do with Overwatch, Titanfall, Evolve, etc. I'd say in some ways it's better than those games. #2 is the main reason the game will most likely die. They should've pushed hard to show how it's different from Overwatch (I have both games, they're not very similar at all) and they should've actively moved the release date away from Overwatch. If I ran their company I would've ignored doing a campaign so the game has more maps/modes and also made it $30 or F2P with Smite's business so it's not pay to win at all. It seems like they were cocky or misguided. I would easily say it's a better game than Overwatch though, which has a crazy amount of hype right now.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By DoctorTran

I'm just passed that they raised the price back to 60 a few days before I got paid.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Bezerker85

@doctortran said:

I'm just passed that they raised the price back to 60 a few days before I got paid.

PS4/XB1 versans stall $40 at Walmart.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

.... how is Evolve doing? And I do wonder what's the numbers on Hat sales on GTA Online considering how 2K mentioned that GTA4 DLC was a hot mess?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

There is no problem if the game is good and worth it.. That is really the conundrum day-one owner face; not price, not other games being better or worse. Early adopters paid $60,so...was it/will it be worth it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.