Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atari ST

Platform »

Atari's 16-bit computer line was one of the most popular computers in the mid-1980s to early 1990s.

ST-urday #007: Demo Derby Alpha: ST Action #9

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Lucky sevens! I figured it was time to mix things up a little with a Demo Derby feature. While I owned a decent number of ST games as a kid, more often than not I was playing whatever demos were on the most recent coverdisk of the monthly Atari ST magazines I was subscribed to. The two big UK ST "mags" back in the day were ST Format, which balanced its coverage between games and utility programs not unlike the more serious PC magazines of today, and ST Action, which was almost wholly dedicated to games.

Coverdisks, and their digital equivalents diskmags, tend to contain one or more of the following: demos for retail products, usually carefully regulated by publishers to be as brief as possible while still allowing for an informed purchasing decision; shareware games from Indie devs, which tended to be a lot more of a complete experience that included directions for sending a check or money order to the tiny developer studio (usually just one or two guys) for a full version with more features; and complete games where the developers would negotiate a price with the magazine owners to give away their game as an exclusive bonus for subs.

I plucked ST Action #9 out of the list as it is one of the few I still have lying around and because it has four fairly distinctive games to show off. (Issue 9, for the record, is the January 1989 issue.) I'll probably be hopping back and forth between different magazines released in different years for each successive ST-urday Demo Derby - which are now tentatively going to happen every seven updates - as an excuse to cover a number of minor games that I only knew from their demos.

Flip-It and Magnose: Water Carriers from Mars

No Caption Provided

Flip-It & Magnose is a game where I loved its cartoony style but could never figure out how it was supposed to work. It's a two-player competitive platformer in which the goal is to collect water from various locations across Earth and bring it back to the mothership for the H2O-deprived back on Mars. I forget if they worked for rival spacefaring corporations or what, but the titular Flip-It and Magnose were always trying to out-do the other and get the most water in the short time limit provided. They also had to contend with the irascible Earthling creatures, so it occasionally feels like a more combative ToeJam and Earl: a 1991 Genesis game which probably owes the 1990 Flip-It and Magnose a fair amount, if only for its central quirky alien twosome and Earth's general lack of hospitality to visitors.

It does have some ingenious ideas. The way to collect water is to convince the Earth creatures to give it up, and to do that you need to give them items they want. There are items strewn about the landscape that will respawn when used: this way, there's an opportunity for the other player to use the same item in the same run. However, these items must be given to one NPC, who then gives you another item which can be given to another NPC, and so on. So there's a certain amount of frantically chasing after these valuable items and then figuring out the chain that will lead to a precious drop of H2O: once the water is collected, it is brought back to the ship in its carrier container and purified. The game uses a vertical split-screen but smartly designs the stages to be purely vertical as well: the usual issue with the amount of reduced horizontal real-estate in split-screen mode is no longer a factor with these very thin and tall levels.

Flip-It & Magnose was developed by obscure UK studio Expanding Minds. I can't seem to find any other games they were responsible for developing, so maybe this game didn't do so well. It is a bit on the obtuse side, even today.

Welcome to Flip-It and Magnose! Most of these demos won't have title screens. Live demo, folks! Well... after 26 years it's not exactly live any more.
    Welcome to Flip-It and Magnose! Most of these demos won't have title screens. Live demo, folks! Well... after 26 years it's not exactly live any more.
    I'm afraid you won't see much out of whoever the right guy is (Magnose? Would make sense if he's the second in the title too). The game is either two-player only or they only incorporated the two-player mode for this demo, so he's just going to sit there.
    I'm afraid you won't see much out of whoever the right guy is (Magnose? Would make sense if he's the second in the title too). The game is either two-player only or they only incorporated the two-player mode for this demo, so he's just going to sit there.
    These apes here are the first NPCs you can interact with. Those weird platforms that look like sci-fi repulsor lifts are where you drop items that they want. I've only found an egg so far (well,
    These apes here are the first NPCs you can interact with. Those weird platforms that look like sci-fi repulsor lifts are where you drop items that they want. I've only found an egg so far (well, "stole" would be more accurate) which they don't want. The big gorilla throws nuts at you for the whole time you're under him as well, which will knock you around a lot and cause you to lose ground to your opponent. Y'know, provided someone's playing him.
    Trading the egg with a snake a little further down the screen gets you a rattle (because it's a rattlesnake, you see) and giving that to the baby ape causes him to rustle the tree and toss out a water droplet. However, I have no idea how you're supposed to catch it. The controls for the menus take some getting used to: it's always a combination of a direction and the fire button, because that's all you ever have to go on with Atari ST games.
    Trading the egg with a snake a little further down the screen gets you a rattle (because it's a rattlesnake, you see) and giving that to the baby ape causes him to rustle the tree and toss out a water droplet. However, I have no idea how you're supposed to catch it. The controls for the menus take some getting used to: it's always a combination of a direction and the fire button, because that's all you ever have to go on with Atari ST games.
    The frog doesn't want any of the crap I've accumulated. That's a nutcracker, incidentally, not wirecutters. Wait, didn't the ape have some nuts?
    The frog doesn't want any of the crap I've accumulated. That's a nutcracker, incidentally, not wirecutters. Wait, didn't the ape have some nuts?
    He does, and he'll flick this tiny hopping bug off his coat as a reward. The frog loves bugs, so he'll give you the other source of water droplets on this level in exchange. There's two sources because there's two players, so while one player follows one chain the other can pursue the alternate path... unless one player has grabbed items from both chains. Sneaky.
    He does, and he'll flick this tiny hopping bug off his coat as a reward. The frog loves bugs, so he'll give you the other source of water droplets on this level in exchange. There's two sources because there's two players, so while one player follows one chain the other can pursue the alternate path... unless one player has grabbed items from both chains. Sneaky.
    Anyway, despite finding both sources of water for this stage, I have no idea how I'm supposed to carry them back to the ship. The little starship thing in the bottom left corner is the water carrier, I'm sure, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how it's supposed to function or how I'm meant to take water up to the ship once I have it. Still, at least the game looks kinda cool?
    Anyway, despite finding both sources of water for this stage, I have no idea how I'm supposed to carry them back to the ship. The little starship thing in the bottom left corner is the water carrier, I'm sure, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how it's supposed to function or how I'm meant to take water up to the ship once I have it. Still, at least the game looks kinda cool?

Helter Skelter

No Caption Provided

Helter Skelter is comparatively more straightforward than Flip-It and Magnose, but in many ways it's even tougher to play. It's so straightforward, in fact, that I could probably sum up the entire game in the following screenshots. It's a single-screen platformer with a twist regarding its bouncy protagonist, in a nutshell.

Helter Skelter was developed by UK devs The Assembly Line, who were better known for their dalliances into the burgeoning 3D polygonal sphere similar to the coding-prodigious UK developers Argonaut Games - they of Starglider fame who are best known for their eventual collaboration with Nintendo to produce Star Fox and the SNES Super FX Chip. The Assembly Line also created the Frequency-esque game Interphase: a cyberpunk-themed tunnel shooter/endless runner and one of the earliest of its kind to start using rendered models instead of Tempest's (and its llama-based derivatives) wireframe presentation. Helter Skelter actually seems kinda pedestrian in comparison.

Welcome to Helter Skelter! No, it's not Marble Madness. I mean, it is madness with marbles, but... well, you'll see.
    Welcome to Helter Skelter! No, it's not Marble Madness. I mean, it is madness with marbles, but... well, you'll see.
    Look at these smug little assholes. Little known fact: the graphic artists of The Assembly Line would later work for DreamWorks. (I could be making that up.)
    Look at these smug little assholes. Little known fact: the graphic artists of The Assembly Line would later work for DreamWorks. (I could be making that up.)
    Helter Skelter is very much substance over style with its minimal presentation. These dorky little creatures have to be defeated in a specific order by touching them with your red marble protagonist over there. However, the controls are tricky to get to grips with: you hold the fire button to increase the strength of each bounce, and the hero's heightened elasticity means they'll bounce off every and all surfaces. Attempting to get onto that small platform where the bird enemy is isn't as easy as it looks.
    Helter Skelter is very much substance over style with its minimal presentation. These dorky little creatures have to be defeated in a specific order by touching them with your red marble protagonist over there. However, the controls are tricky to get to grips with: you hold the fire button to increase the strength of each bounce, and the hero's heightened elasticity means they'll bounce off every and all surfaces. Attempting to get onto that small platform where the bird enemy is isn't as easy as it looks.
    After removing the first enemy, the next in the sequence is indicated. It's a race against time - there's 26.4 seconds left on the clock according to the timer at the top there - to systematically remove each enemy from the screen.
    After removing the first enemy, the next in the sequence is indicated. It's a race against time - there's 26.4 seconds left on the clock according to the timer at the top there - to systematically remove each enemy from the screen.
    ...However, if you hit the wrong enemy they split in two increasing the amount of work you have left to finish. You can't be killed by anything except the timer running down, but having more enemies sprinting around is a surefire way of not completing a stage in time. At least the little versions are cuter.
    ...However, if you hit the wrong enemy they split in two increasing the amount of work you have left to finish. You can't be killed by anything except the timer running down, but having more enemies sprinting around is a surefire way of not completing a stage in time. At least the little versions are cuter.
    This stage wraps around horizontally and vertically, similar to the Mario Bros. Arcade game. It's also considerably easier, which makes me wonder why it went second.
    This stage wraps around horizontally and vertically, similar to the Mario Bros. Arcade game. It's also considerably easier, which makes me wonder why it went second.
    Of course, I say it's easier...
    Of course, I say it's easier...

Mad Professor Mariarti

No Caption Provided

Mad Professor Mariarti is more the standard run-of-the-mill exploratory platformer of the sort that you'd see on the C64 and Spectrum before they eventually evolved into games like the Dizzy series. The player explores a number of screens, looking for items that will open new areas when used elsewhere. It's not quite a SpaceWhipper, but it shares that sub-genre's distinctly non-linear exploration bent. In the Mad Professor's case, he has to shut down each of his chaotic laboratories to prove to the authorities that he hasn't gone completely cuckoo. There's something very humble about developing a game where you're explicitly stating that the level design was the result of a madman.

The developers of Mad Professor Mariarti (that's a not particularly subtle reference to a certain other platforming hero) are Krisalis Software: a UK developer and publisher who might be better known for their ports than for their original games. They created Soccer Kid and a number of Manchester United licensed games, but then that's what you do when you're based in the UK. Also notable is a designer credit to Matt Furniss: one of the better known VGM composers out there. According to Wikipedia he's currently working as a software engineer on David Perry's (he of Shiny Entertainment) Gaikai Sony streaming service.

I kinda dig the look of this game. It's fairly basic, but everything's bright and colorful and oddly cute. Look at that adorably hideous ribbon cable mutant.
    I kinda dig the look of this game. It's fairly basic, but everything's bright and colorful and oddly cute. Look at that adorably hideous ribbon cable mutant.
    The Prof only has spanners to throw at enemies - and they all respawn, so it's better to avoid them - but he can upgrade it by finding lots of those golden coin token things and exchanging them in a tool vending machine for something that hits harder. This is also where the first split comes in: the switch over there will deactivate a forcefield on the screen below that allows me to go down and right, or I can continue going right up here.
    The Prof only has spanners to throw at enemies - and they all respawn, so it's better to avoid them - but he can upgrade it by finding lots of those golden coin token things and exchanging them in a tool vending machine for something that hits harder. This is also where the first split comes in: the switch over there will deactivate a forcefield on the screen below that allows me to go down and right, or I can continue going right up here.
    That... wasn't what I intended. Hazards in the game simply drain the Prof's health for as long as he's standing on them, which is why making short hops everywhere is the safest way to play. There's still a few insta-death traps like this though.
    That... wasn't what I intended. Hazards in the game simply drain the Prof's health for as long as he's standing on them, which is why making short hops everywhere is the safest way to play. There's still a few insta-death traps like this though.
    Some hazards are less obvious than others. The blinking red floors here will sap your health if you walk over them, as will those invincible mouse robots (which are indeed made out of computer mice).
    Some hazards are less obvious than others. The blinking red floors here will sap your health if you walk over them, as will those invincible mouse robots (which are indeed made out of computer mice).
    I'm starting to suspect that the accusations about the Prof's less than sane mental state might hold water. These floppy disk monsters are abominations. I notice there's a diving helmet up there: I wonder what I'll need that for?
    I'm starting to suspect that the accusations about the Prof's less than sane mental state might hold water. These floppy disk monsters are abominations. I notice there's a diving helmet up there: I wonder what I'll need that for?
    I will say that the screens in this game can get a little busy. There are some gray platforms in there somewhere, but they're not immediately obvious.
    I will say that the screens in this game can get a little busy. There are some gray platforms in there somewhere, but they're not immediately obvious.
    The demo abruptly ends once you get far enough away from the first screen, though due to it being fairly open-world you can still accomplish quite a bit in the area it gives you. (I believe this is the only demo I successfully completed. Even if they are truncated, they still provide a sizable amount of game time.)
    The demo abruptly ends once you get far enough away from the first screen, though due to it being fairly open-world you can still accomplish quite a bit in the area it gives you. (I believe this is the only demo I successfully completed. Even if they are truncated, they still provide a sizable amount of game time.)

Venus the Flytrap

No Caption Provided

Our last game for this Demo Derby is Gremlin Graphics' Venus the Flytrap. This game is pure badass, from its music to its presentation. Here's the intro crawl, which isn't included in the demo: skip to 2:47 for the main theme. As the intro explains, the player controls the only robotic insect - created to stem the tide of ecological disaster - to remain sane after some kind of bug (I get it) scrambled the AI of all the others. It's his job to eliminate the various cyborg creepy-crawlies that are causing more harm than good to an environment that is already on the way out. It plays like a cross between bug shmup Apidya and the gravity-defying Metal Storm, as will be evident when we bust out the screenshots.

Gremlin Graphics I've covered before with their 1992 adaptation of the Games Workshop WH40k-lite board game Space Crusade but the developers were a powerhouse in the UK game industry for a time, creating a hit racing series with Lotus Turbo Challenge, the varied Actua Sports label and a string of hits across various other genres. They eventually got ate by Infogrames/Atari at one point, like so many others, but its library was fortunately recovered from that quagmire by Gremlin's founder Ian Stewart and his new company Urbanscan. Sounds like he intends to rerelease a lot of it on iOS; here's hoping a compilation on Steam is in the works too.

Welcome to Venus the Flytrap! That article in the middle really messes with my head for some reason.
    Welcome to Venus the Flytrap! That article in the middle really messes with my head for some reason.
    Venus is actually a platformer-shooter hybrid than a straight shoot 'em up: even though Venus has wings, he never uses them to fly. I suspect there might be shmup levels later on though.
    Venus is actually a platformer-shooter hybrid than a straight shoot 'em up: even though Venus has wings, he never uses them to fly. I suspect there might be shmup levels later on though.
    These little eggs need to be shot before they produce their contents. Because their effects aren't always good, this extra step ensures that you don't accidentally pick up any after running past the enemy. It's best to get a safe distance, fire a shot and see if it's worth it. You'll also notice with that upside-down enemy on the ceiling that the game gives an early hint of the gravity-switching madness to come.
    These little eggs need to be shot before they produce their contents. Because their effects aren't always good, this extra step ensures that you don't accidentally pick up any after running past the enemy. It's best to get a safe distance, fire a shot and see if it's worth it. You'll also notice with that upside-down enemy on the ceiling that the game gives an early hint of the gravity-switching madness to come.
    The shoot 'em up parallels continue with the power-up list on the bottom, which looks like something right out of Gradius. Each of these weapon power-ups is stronger than the last, but the player can select between any of the ones they've found. When they die, they lose the weapon they had equipped (besides the default Normal), but keep the rest. It becomes one of those risk/reward factors when you're low on health or time to keep using your best weapon or drop to a lesser one in case you lose it.
    The shoot 'em up parallels continue with the power-up list on the bottom, which looks like something right out of Gradius. Each of these weapon power-ups is stronger than the last, but the player can select between any of the ones they've found. When they die, they lose the weapon they had equipped (besides the default Normal), but keep the rest. It becomes one of those risk/reward factors when you're low on health or time to keep using your best weapon or drop to a lesser one in case you lose it.
    The arrow switches force you onto the ceiling, which presents its own problems. Those egg-timer panels are the worst: when standing on them, your time limit rapidly counts down. It's instant death if it runs out.
    The arrow switches force you onto the ceiling, which presents its own problems. Those egg-timer panels are the worst: when standing on them, your time limit rapidly counts down. It's instant death if it runs out.
    Finding both the big shot (single shot, but more damage) and this three-way spread shot gives me more options going forward. Power-up weapons also have an ammo count so it's good to switch between them frequently for that reason too.
    Finding both the big shot (single shot, but more damage) and this three-way spread shot gives me more options going forward. Power-up weapons also have an ammo count so it's good to switch between them frequently for that reason too.
    This skull and crossbones just straight up kills you. I'm not sure why it's even in here unless it's to troll you. A note about how good the attention to detail with the animation/sprite work is in this game: when standing near the edge of a platform, Venus's feet wrap around it for stability.
    This skull and crossbones just straight up kills you. I'm not sure why it's even in here unless it's to troll you. A note about how good the attention to detail with the animation/sprite work is in this game: when standing near the edge of a platform, Venus's feet wrap around it for stability.

That'll do it for today. I didn't plan on looking at any of these games individually - action games tend to be fairly self-explanatory visually and trickier to convey when it comes to describing the accessibility and fidelity of the controls - but this Demo Derby format affords me an opportunity to produce a smorgasbord like this.

We'll back to solo games again next week, though I'm eager to hear what you think about producing more ST Demo Derbies like this. Should I start looking at the ones that have weird little diskmag features too, with BBSes and the like? Or stick with those with a decent selection of games to show off like the above?

(Back to the ST-urday ST-orehouse.)

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Great piece, Mento! These peculiar demos and prototypes tread an interesting parallel to the IndieGala/itch.io fare of current times, and it's entertaining to think whether such forgotten relics would have seen more success had they had access to a more accessible distribution channel as the niche titles of today. Thankfully, we have you to regale us with their tales--and suffer their oblique and obscure nature in service of disseminating their appeal.

I'd definitely be compelled to read more Demo Derbies, including ones that touched on the features and bulletin-board stuff. Excellent work :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.