Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Which Assassin's Creed Should I Play First? Rogue or Syndicate?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Which Assassin's Creed Should I Play First? Rogue or Syndicate? (56 votes)

Assassin's Creed Rogue 23%
    Assassin's Creed Syndicate 75%

Hey there folks!

Back in November I finally picked up Assassin's Creed Rogue for Xbox 360 on the cheap and haven't yet touched it (I was in a patch where I wasn't playing games a lot at that point). Then, during a Boxing Day sale, I picked up the Assassin's Creed Syndicate statue edition (I love those AC CEs) for more than 50% off.

I've been back in the swing of playing games again, and I was thinking it was time to tackle one of these two Assassin's Creed games I'd picked up in the last couple of months (the series is like my own personal video game junk food). The trouble is, I have no idea which game I want to start with.

I loved Assassin's Creed IV: Yargh, Pirates! and figure it'll be fun to hit the high seas again, but I've been hearing so much love for Syndicate that I also kind of want to get stuck right into that. I can't decide which I should start with (the fact that Rogue is last-gen has me inclined to start there, but then I'm also thinking perhaps I should wait to see if it gets added to the Xbone's BC list.)

So! With that overload of information that you may or may not have read, which game do you think I should play first? Assassin's Creed Rogue or Assassin's Creed Syndicate?

• 
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would start with Rogue. Just because it's older and may be harder to go back to.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@meatball I think they're both dramatically different AC games where the order might not matter as much. All the pirate, ship based stuff carried over from Black Flag into Rogue has been completely axed in Syndicate and similarly Syndicate introduces new fighting and systems that are not present in Rogue. The only question is do you feel like doing a whole lot of sailing or a whole lot of running around London?

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

well Rouge ends where Unity starts so play Rogue first.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@humanity said:

@meatball I think they're both dramatically different AC games where the order might not matter as much. All the pirate, ship based stuff carried over from Black Flag into Rogue has been completely axed in Syndicate and similarly Syndicate introduces new fighting and systems that are not present in Rogue. The only question is do you feel like doing a whole lot of sailing or a whole lot of running around London?

Yeah, this is definitely one of the big things that is making my decision so hard. They're quite different Assassin's Creed games to each other, and both offer things that I'm interested in doing. :P

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@meatball: As far as I know, Rogue is the shorter of the two and doesn't have any follow-up DLC. So you can knock that one out a lot faster than Syndicate. They're skipping a year with these and apparently reworking the formula from the "ground up" so technically nothing from Syndicate will really carry over which means both of the games you want to play are book-ended on both sides from a continuity perspective.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rogue is better, so start with that one.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I'd be a strong advocate for Syndicate. It stands as a very enjoyable game in its own right (the best since Brotherhood for me) with some great history-fiction, a great looking city to explore, and likable protagonists.

Voidoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't gotten very far into Syndicate but I liked Rogue a lot. It connects III, Black Flag and Unity, featuring characters from all of them. It's effectively half an AC story as it has 6 sequences where all the others (to my memory) have had 12. It still has a lot of side stuff though, so you can extend the experience as much as you feel like. It is very familiar in terms of mechanics, the new gimmick is an air rifle which is very similar to the blowpipe from Black Flag, so it might be good to play it before you retrain your brain for Syndicate's new mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.