Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Alpha Protocol $2 on Steam

• 127 results
    norenewalfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By norenewalfee

Awesome! Buying right now.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Grilledcheez said:

I couldn't even bring myself to play through the tutorial...is it really worth going back to?

For real? The tute is like 6 mins of gameplay, if that.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By chrissedoff

i spent the 2 bucks on company of heroes instead. here's to not spending money on broken games.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's funny reading people repeating the same drivel about AP being broken, having never played it. Personally I have not experienced any significant glitches in 3 playthroughs.

True other people might have had different experiences then me, but I'm yet to come across a single person making an actual compelling list of all the broken terrible shit in this game that makes it so awful.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By amir90

Got mine as a gift from my friend.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By JCTango

Just started playing this game last night - wow.. I am really liking the dialogue and choices-have-an-effect stuff in this game - you really get a sense that whatever you do does have an impact. The stealth gameplay seems pretty fun too - haven't gone much further yet to comment on any other stuff though.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By Chummy8

People made a big deal about the stat based shooting. And frankly, I don't get it. I'm playing an RPG, I want to build up my skill, not have my character be an expert on day one.

I mean it worked for Deus Ex, and that was one of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TekZero: i think it's a psychological thing, just expectations build from playing so many other games that do it a certain way. the 'right way' ... point a cross-hair at a guy and the guy dies.

AP's not really much different really, just the bullets will go anywhere in the crosshairs. bit like hipfiring in any other game. just need to take the time to aim your shots, tiny red crosshair and they'll go exactly there. it's not like you have no control over where you're shooting, or that the game is broken, it's just a bit different.

can't think of anything else people could be referring to when they call it broken though ... gameplay is a bit simplistic perhaps, the skills are rather unbalanced (some overpowered, some relatively useless, though it is helped by higher costs on better upgrades) but it's not busted. it's a lot of fun and genuinely one of the best times i've ever had playing a game was going through this a second time picking the aggressive option at every single opportunity.

AlexAlterisio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By AlexAlterisio

That is a hell of a deal. I was completely satisfied paying $20 for this game a few weeks back, hard to tell someone to pass on it when it's only $2. I know a lot of people talked nothing but shit about the gameplay but man is that story good. In my opinion it does choice in conversations and repercussions better than even mass effect.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Tennmuerti said:

It's funny reading people repeating the same drivel about AP being broken, having never played it. Personally I have not experienced any significant glitches in 3 playthroughs.

True other people might have had different experiences then me, but I'm yet to come across a single person making an actual compelling list of all the broken terrible shit in this game that makes it so awful.

We agree on this too. AP is like DE without the William Gibson wannabe.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By SomeJerk

To me, AP is what Bioware normally does done right - at least the gist of it. This is pretty darn RPG with all the effects your decisions and actions have. Maybe I could say it's DE in Mass Effect.

Had a day with it, still maintain that it is a miraculously clean polished sanitary turd but just one thing: Alpha Protocol deserved better than this.

It deserved a run through a quality-assurance department. It deserved playtesters. It doesn't seem to have had anything like it beyond cleaning out showstoppers and bugs, which is appreciated. A lot of jank as said in the early June 2010 bombcast, but god what amazing potential lies within. This could have been a universally acknowledged Greatest Game of The Generation if it had not had so much nastiness in gameplay and feel. Saved games don't even remember your the last ammo type you had equipped for your weapons for crying out somewhat loud.

I want a second Alpha Protocol (I know, I read the headlines) if they can give it the work it needs and make it play well and never make a player reload a checkpoint in surprise and anger because something that shouldn't mess up, did. (Peculiar AI up in this). Does conversations & shiz better than Bioware ever will.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#112  Edited By TheHT

well i just started and the first dude you fistfight was running in circles before he came to fight me. really tempered my expectations haha.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Oh my god this is so tempting. God damn you steam, making me buy puzzle quest, civ 5, half life 2 pack, garrys mod, all these games I want to play, but know I never will. I must resist this...

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By zor

@Tennmuerti said:

The only issue i have had (other then dislike the ai some times) was with the hacking mini-game. For some reason, the right hand string of code would not line up with where my mouse was pointing... it took me about 6 tries before i was able to complete it. That is the only thing that seems broken to me...

Don't suppose there an easier way to do that hacking mini-game stuff?

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#115  Edited By CrimsonNoir

Been playing on Recruit, which is actually the harder backstory to play as since you dont receive any beginning skill points. I wouldn't mind that so much, but their stealth really sucks when you don't have active skills for it, they pretty much hear you coming always when you sneak up behind them.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By white

Is the game only 1gb? Like, seriously? The entire game is only 1gb?

I'm doing double and triple takes on the file size here.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Quipido

@White said:

I made the same mistake - it's not 1GB, its 11GB! They just list it as 11 100MB, which is stupid.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By RsistncE

lol shit game. why would anyone spend $2 on it when they could get company of heroes which is an infinitely better game for the same price?

MisterBogus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By MisterBogus

i got it!

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By izzygraze

I heard a lot of bad things about this game but I bought it about 3 days ago and am almost finished the game. Probably played 10 hours so far? I really like it.

Think of the action kinda like playing a rogue in wow(go invisible and 'backstab' fools). Once you get good enough weapons with high accuracy stats then guns blazing doesn't matter other than getting added exp and relation bonuses and maybe even some story options.

The script is well written and has some great moments. It's definitely worth seeing. There are some issues with gameplay but it's not THAT bad. The mouse movement for hacking sucks, AI isn't the best(kinda like wow mobs; easy to kill, just mainly attacking them until their health bar goes down), and that's about it. Story is fun, follows your actions pretty well, dialogue is fun.

If you're looking for splinter cell or metal gear then go somewhere else. If you loved dialoguing of Mass Effect, would like the dialogue to have a lot more consequences to those conversations, and don't mind so MMO-like action, then this game is for you.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I'm starting to get the hang of it after dumping a shit load of points in stealth. I end up doing takedowns instead of firefights, which should be avoided. But the story and dialogue is keeping me hooked.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By white

@Quipido said:

@White said:

I made the same mistake - it's not 1GB, its 11GB! They just list it as 11 100MB, which is stupid.

That's fucking dumb. And erroneous. Cause on my screen it says 1110 mb. It's less one zero!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Quipido
    No Caption Provided

@White: You are right, Steam really says it takes 1110MB, but the actual folder really is 11,1GB.

Buie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Buie04

That's the same?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Ravenlight

I got it on sale and am about an hour into the game. Does it get any better? I already hate all the characters and gunplay.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#127  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Ravenlight said:

I got it on sale and am about an hour into the game. Does it get any better? I already hate all the characters and gunplay.

Dump all your points into stealth. Characters don't get any better or worse they just add more characters.

I hate this game but lots of people like it and even though I hated it I can say that game play gets "better" when all you use is stealth.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#128  Edited By mosdl

@Ravenlight said:

Game gets better, the start level is horrid.

Avatar image for deactivated-58d26a12c07d4
    deactivated-58d26a12c07d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it, and have played through the toturial twice, haven't actually tried the first mission yet, but I already feel like this was one of the best offers price-wise this year.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#130  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@RsistncE said:

lol shit game. why would anyone spend $2 on it when they could get company of heroes which is an infinitely better game for the same price?

If they're both 2 bucks, then they should probably just buy both of them. If they don't have 4 bucks to begin with, they probably shouldn't be spending their money on video games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.