Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 21, 2023

A remake of both GBA Advance Wars games on Nintendo Switch.

Will Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp release by 2024?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By MindBullet

Poll Will Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp release by 2024? (73 votes)

Yes 75%
    No 14%
    Yes, but not on a Nintendo platform 4%
    No, it's lost media 7%

The remake of Advance Wars 1 and 2 was originally set to release on Switch in 2021, then pushed to April 2022 before being officially delayed indefinitely in light of the war in Ukraine. Since then... Nothing. Not even a mention during the latest mini-Direct, and it isn't listed in WayForward or Nintendo's plans for this year at all despite the game likely being done and ready for release.

So, considering the conflict in Ukraine still isn't settled and it's memory will likely continue to linger for some time... Do you think Nintendo will release this game in the next 2 years? Should they?

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

Will it release prior to 2024? Probably. People are already losing interest in the war in Ukraine and there is likely to be a significant lull in the fighting at some point relatively soon while the sides rearm. There has been a low-key war going in Ukraine for a long time (over 10,000 people had died in the fighting prior to the full scale invasion) and it's not like war media is just going to stop. Call of Duty will keep on coming out, movies and books and other games too.

The big problem with Advance Wars was that there was a general who was based on Soviet Union/Russia and that was seen as cutesifying a real conflict. I could see them removing that general and replacing it with something else less controversial, which would take some work but not a massive amount.

Advance Wars isn't exactly a tech showcase so it's something of an evergreen title. I'd imagine that Nintendo doesn't mind delaying it and as long as Wayforward got paid already I would assume they're okay with it too. At some point there will be a hole to plug in the schedule and Nintendo will slot it in. But they could probably delay it as long as they want and still have it sell as well as it would have.

I don't see how it could come out on a non-Nintendo platform. I believe it's a Nintendo IP. They'd be more likely to just kill the project altogether than let it come out on PlayStation or whatever. Mayyyyybe IOS and Android, because they do dabble with those, but then it would need to be retooled for microtransactions.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before 2024? Absolutely. This year? That's harder.

JoeBlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure AF hope it's this year. This is a strategy game that looks like a cartoon. How is this being insensitive? My family emigrated to the US awhile back and I am proud of my Ukrainian heritage, and I certainly do not think it's hurtful to just release it now. Been waiting years for Advance Wars to come to the Switch. Just release it already.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So I guess this game is going to be shared between the Nintendo Switch & its successor.

TehSteeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, 2025 on the Super Switch.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Buy is apparently now telling people that this is slated for 2026, and I remembered I posted this poll here so I'm gonna bring it back and see that tips things back the other way for anyone. It seems like Best Buy is also reaching out to anyone who pre-ordered to let them know they were "made aware" of the release date change.

For what it's worth, Amazon still has it listed as a December 2023 release, and Gamestop has it as a December 2024 release. The Nintendo shop still has it as TBD.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chamurai

Hope springs eternal.

Avatar image for propagandapanda
    Propagandapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has there been a case where a game was finished and shown but never had a formal cancellation? Just quietly drifted away? I would think Wayforward would be trying to get Nintendo to get the game out some way.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@propagandapanda: The only example I can think of is Star Fox 2.

Star Fox 2 was canceled in mid-1995, when it was about 95% complete. Nintendo still wanted the game finished after cancellation, so took it through full localization and QA testing. Cuthbert said there may have been no official announcement of cancellation, and there was confusion about the game's status in the media. The August issue of Game Pro printed that it had been delayed to 1996, while Electronic Gaming Monthly wrote that had been canceled in their September issue. Nintendo Power wrote in their September issue that "rumors of the demise of Star Fox 2 have been greatly exaggerated", with a release most likely coming in the first half of 1996.

Wikipedia

There have been other games that were cancelled despite being finished, but I think they mostly were given a proper announcement. The only interesting case I ran into was NBA Elite 11 being cancelled so late into development that copies of it managed to get put on shelves and bought by consumers post-cancellation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.