Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zombie

Concept »

Zombies, more accurately called the walking dead, are reanimated corpses who feed on the living, and have become a ubiquitous video game enemy. They often move slowly, but can be deadly in large numbers, which is unfortunately how they tend to travel. Shotgun time!

Zombies: The boring reality

entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By entmoot

Zombies, often known as flesh-eaters,  Keith Richards, and The Undead have become so popular and ultimately, so extremely boring, that the gaming world is lost in a sea of 
    Zombiephile. When Zombies are dead and gone, as the nature of their tight niche and biological standing deems it necessary, what will be the eventual evolution? I hope something a little bit more lively... Perhaps not. 
    Stop Zombiephiles/NaziZomz today! We must, for if we don't, what will this world of shuffling, mindless zombie lovers become other than Zombies themselves... My God, the logic is so retardedly circular

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jking47

Just because most forms of media have been over saturated with zombies, doesn't mean I cant still think zombies are awesome. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Undead nightmare was awesome. So bite your tongue. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Zombies are still cool. Just want to see someone actually make a serious game with that concept. 

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Entmoot said:
    " Zombies, often known as flesh-eaters,  Keith Richards, and The Undead have become so popular and ultimately, so extremely boring, that the gaming world is lost in a sea of  Zombiephile. When Zombies are dead and gone, as the nature of their tight niche and biological standing deems it necessary, what will be the eventual evolution? I hope something a little bit more lively... Perhaps not.  Stop Zombiephiles/NaziZomz today! We must, for if we don't, what will this world of shuffling, mindless zombie lovers become other than Zombies themselves... My God, the logic is so retardedly circular "
    Hipster attitude? Not in my Giant Bomb :@ 

Zombies are still cool. In "serious" games like Undead Nightmare and Left 4 Dead, for example, or in more goofy and humorous one, like Dead Rising 2. Don't let the current popularity of the trope fool you. You can still use zombies in very, very cool ways.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By melcene
    entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entmoot
    @JoeyRavn: I can only be as hip as your extremely hip glasses. Zombies are neat, of course, but I tire of their overuse and underwhelming ability to appear in uncreative games. Still, zombies need a fresh input of creative madness to bring them back to life. Thank you for your response, as lacking in any "serious" debate you raised, I still appreciate it.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By melcene
    @Entmoot said:

"  I tire of their overuse and underwhelming ability to appear in uncreative games. "

This I can understand.  Dead Rising was fun for a limited time.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Zombies will always be cool bro. I often dream of the day it actually happens.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By benjaebe

They just need to make zombies scary again. Resident Evil doesn't even use them anymore, Left 4 Dead isn't scary after you've played the same 4 maps over and over again and Dead Rising just uses them for laughs.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marcsman

They are certainly better than fairies masquerading as vampires.
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Delicious_Brains

Including them in other game types (with the exception of Undead Nightmare, which I thought was okay) is the problem. We haven't got enough of pure zombie games (those shitty top down ones don't count).

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

they are still cool. play something different if your tired of zombies.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hexx462

Zombies had a great resurgence with 28 Days Later (I know not technically a zombie film) Shaun of the Dead, and Zach Snyder's surprisingly solid Dawn of the Dead remake.  Unfortunately they've become fucked-out in regards to pop culture, there's such a glut of zombie content in almost all geek mediums these days. Sure there have been some great games such as the Left 4 Dead series but whenever I see a new zombie game in the pipeline all I can think of is "this again?". 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

These days, everything is over-saturated. There are plenty of games out there for you to play that don't feature zombies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A robocalypse is scarier than a zombocalypse, because robots are smart.

entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By entmoot

Robots are smarts

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Azteck

Hey man, don't diss Keith Richards. That man is a legend.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By benpack

You don't see people complaining about space marines, even though they are in tons of games.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Entmoot said:
    " @JoeyRavn: I can only be as hip as your extremely hip glasses. Zombies are neat, of course, but I tire of their overuse and underwhelming ability to appear in uncreative games. Still, zombies need a fresh input of creative madness to bring them back to life. Thank you for your response, as lacking in any "serious" debate you raised, I still appreciate it. "
    Chill out, dude. I think it was pretty clear I was joking. Besides, it's not that your original post was "serious" in any way, so don't expect "serious" answers.  As I said, you can have zombies done well in games, despite the massive overuse they are subjected to nowadays. I don't really know what else you can expect from an answer. The FPS genre has been obscenly milked in the past few years. Is the genre to blame? No. It's the people who abuse it, i.e. game companies. But that doesn't mean you can have good FPSes among the massive sea of bland, generic shooters.

And to be completely honest, the glasses on my avatar are the only ones in the whole Marketplace that are remotely similar to my old-ass, plain glasses in real life :P
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chyro

I think the reason they are becoming boring is because they are always portrayed as tongue in cheek in games nowadays.  L4D is barely serious, Dead Rising you are placing giant plastic hats on em.  Even the "zombies" in Resident Evil cannot even be constituted as zombies.  Black Ops and World at War have characters and such that keep it extremely light hearted.  

I still like zombies and always will.  I just think zombie games need to have a little more serious attitude. 

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gonmog
    @OtakuGamer
    Yeah zombies are overused, but how can we slaughter anything else without the soccer moms and Fox News stepping in?

I dont think i ever see a game where we can slit peoples necks and rip their limbs off.
    Manhunter?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX

YO IM HERE HATING ON ZOMBIES CAUSE THE COOL KIDS SAID THAT THEY WERE LAME BLAHHHHHHH

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deathfury
    @Chyro said:
    " I think the reason they are becoming boring is because they are always portrayed as tongue in cheek in games nowadays.  L4D is barely serious, Dead Rising you are placing giant plastic hats on em.  Even the "zombies" in Resident Evil cannot even be constituted as zombies.  Black Ops and World at War have characters and such that keep it extremely light hearted.    I still like zombies and always will.  I just think zombie games need to have a little more serious attitude.  "
    I agree. A zombie game with a more serious tone might help breathe some life(Unlife?) into the genre.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

AI is hard so its in the best interest of devs who can't program AI wortha shit to keep the zombie craze alive as long as possible.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
    @GlenTennis said:
    " You don't see people complaining about space marines, even though they are in tons of games. "
    Actually you see it all the time but okay. 
    entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entmoot

It is interesting

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tally_Pants

Sure there are tons of Zombie games... but who cares, Zombies are pretty cool and always will be! I'm not a believer in the Zombie-Apocalypse... but man do I enjoy listening to a good debate about how its all gonna go down and what preparations people have! Just in case it does happen...I wanna know where to go and save my ass from becoming over sized brain stew

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By demonbear
    @DystopiaX said:
    " YO IM HERE HATING ON ZOMBIES CAUSE THE COOL KIDS SAID THAT THEY WERE LAME BLAHHHHHHH "
    This.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By time allen

zombies are kind of hard to work with on a narrative level simply because they're usually very numerous and hard to overcome as a result of that. it's like superman from a different (much different) direction. there are a bunch of exceptions to the rule, but you have to know what you're doing to get it to work. 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Zombies are awesome,post apocalypse is awesome....that is all.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mirado

Just about every game featuring zombies also features the same damn gameplay in the form of "Fight your way through!" There's always some goal beyond just suriving the damn things: you're trying to reach a rescue vehicle/extration point, or you're trying to find the cause of the outbreak, or the zombies are being used as cover for something else, etc. And you know what? I think that's the problem. Zombies are boring to me simply because you flatten untold thousands of them in every game they're in on your way to some goal.

Why can't survival itself be the goal? Picture this: The outbreak occurs and you + your group of friends decide to hunker down and make the best of it. During the day it's a mad dash for supplies; you raid supermarkets, hardware stores, gun shops, even an army depot left standing after the military pulled back in the chaos. You have to move quick, because the undead are out in full force at night and you're screwed if you get caught in the open. The risk/reward system keeps the tension up; better items and locations such as the depot are farther off in the distance, leaving you less time to grab what you need and set up your defenses. During the day you may have running gun battles with looters or you might run into other survivors who might trade the location of a supply cache for leaving one person behind for a night to help his depleted group survive. To stop players from building too impentrible of a base, have the millitary plan to nuke the city; you discover the plan with only a few hours remaining and have to make a mad dash into the countryside to avoid being atomised.

I could go on, but the point is: it's not the zombies that are boring, it's what's done with them. Left4Dead is fun because it encourages teamwork, but the loss of progress over each campaign (you always reach "the end" only to be right back where you start) kinda kills it for me. Just do something, anything, different with them!

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By Levio

The worst part is when movies/games try to explain zombies using some virus explanation.  No virus is going to allow someone to go for days without food and water and still have the energy to fight... or instantly recognize other zombies and know not to kill them... or completely disable a person's logic center but then allow them to open doors... 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By melcene
    @mirado said:
    " Just about every game featuring zombies also features the same damn gameplay in the form of "Fight your way through!" There's always some goal beyond just suriving the damn things: you're trying to reach a rescue vehicle/extration point, or you're trying to find the cause of the outbreak, or the zombies are being used as cover for something else, etc. And you know what? I think that's the problem. Zombies are boring to me simply because you flatten untold thousands of them in every game they're in on your way to some goal.

Why can't survival itself be the goal? Picture this: The outbreak occurs and you + your group of friends decide to hunker down and make the best of it. During the day it's a mad dash for supplies; you raid supermarkets, hardware stores, gun shops, even an army depot left standing after the military pulled back in the chaos. You have to move quick, because the undead are out in full force at night and you're screwed if you get caught in the open. The risk/reward system keeps the tension up; better items and locations such as the depot are farther off in the distance, leaving you less time to grab what you need and set up your defenses. During the day you may have running gun battles with looters or you might run into other survivors who might trade the location of a supply cache for leaving one person behind for a night to help his depleted group survive. To stop players from building too impentrible of a base, have the millitary plan to nuke the city; you discover the plan with only a few hours remaining and have to make a mad dash into the countryside to avoid being atomised.

I could go on, but the point is: it's not the zombies that are boring, it's what's done with them. Left4Dead is fun because it encourages teamwork, but the loss of progress over each campaign (you always reach "the end" only to be right back where you start) kinda kills it for me. Just do something, anything, different with them! "
    That reminded me very much of this real life Humans vs. Zombies game that goes on at a college every quarter.
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mirado

I was actually going for more of a Minecraft + that mission in Starcraft 2 where you rode out to blow up the buildings during the day/defend at night vibe, but I guess that fits too! Regardless, you got to admit it's more interesting then the usual zombie fare.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By PixelPrinny

Over-saturation aside, I've never cared for zombies. They're fodder characters, which, okay, that's cool when you need hordes of stupid enemies to slay mindlessly (which in itself has never been a concept that's interested me very much), but making them the primary antagonist of a story or a game has never appealed to me. 

If it's a story that has a zombie with a brain, I'm all for that... but usually when that happens, they're not even called a zombie any more, they become a lich or a vampire or some other form of undead created by some nasty corporation or government or strange obelisk. 

Also, why don't more games/movies/etc mix it up a bit when they feel the need to throw mindless hordes at the heroes -- toss in some skeletons from time to time. I'm sure they can dig up some of the further decomposed corpses and create some nice skeleton hordes to go along with their zombie brethren. But for the most part, creators seem to think that "mixing it up" means adding a few bloated zombie types or zombie dogs.   

On the bright side, there are some cool "zombies" out there that I like. For example, necromorphs in Dead Space could be considered a zombie-type of creature, but they're intelligent and not just lumbering corpses slowly walking towards Isaac going, "Braaaaaaains". 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

I am bored of zombie games, but not necessarily bored of zombies. 

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By danimal_furry

I really really enjoy zombie type stuff, but I have gotten bored too. I want to see a Buffy the Vampire Slayer game with all kinds of villans and monsters. Maybe open world, like a mix of Red Dead and Persona. You could built relationships and train and just wander around town hunting for vampires at night. 

Or a Werewolf game! Yeah! And you are a regular guy who has to keep people from knowing you are a werewolf.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Daveyo520

I like zombies.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By landon

People are still finding fun stuff to do with zombies. It's not like Undead Nightmare, Left 4 Dead, and Dead Rising are all the same game. Get over it, zombies are still cool.

entmoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By entmoot
    @mirado:  I agree. Zombies have the potential of being awesome, but it is the lack of creative design, which I mention often, that is the problem here. I suppose being barely critical of this issue makes you a hipster. ILL-INFORMED !!!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HandsomeDead

Zombies are pretty tedious these days but retards keep buying into it; Just look at the success of The Walking Dead. As interesting as Undead Nightmare is, it's pretty much entirely still because of John Marston's character and the whole thing acting as a subversion of what we came to know over the course of the main game. Had it been done with any other kind of monster, or even something like time travel or something, it probably would have been a better experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.