Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 16, 2012

The Nonary Game continues in this sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors under the localized title of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Can I enjoy this game without playing 999?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Commisar123

Can I enjoy this game without playing 999? Obviously I will like it more if I play 999 first, but will I be able to understand what is going on otherwise?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

You'd probably get a bit more out of the story by playing 999 first, as it explains a couple of the characters motivations.

But it is by no means necessary to enjoy vlr, the premise and stuff is explained, and the game has a very good insular story to tell too.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@Commisar123: You'd probably enjoy it just fine, but it wouldn't be -as- enjoyable. And 999 is great. So, you should play that, too. ha.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FlarePhoenix

I thought the thread title said paying 999. I couldn't believe a game would cost that much.

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By robcat09

I'm enjoying it just fine without having played the first game. The puzzles are in no way related to that game. I think character motivations will become apparent as you play. Kind of nice that things are mysterious. I think this game stands on its own very well.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

you should play 999 anyway, because it's a great game

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

If you're playing it for the story, you're missing out on plot points that are explained but have much less meaning to you, and you might not fully understand. I'd also suggest playing the first game if that's a possibility. It's not super long, but it *is* super good (but could sure use a puzzle skip mode for those you've already done).

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By robcat09

There are a lot of great games. Can't play them all. Don't really care if I miss out on the meaning of some plot. The game seems to have an interesting enough plot as it is. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewB

@robcat09 said:

There are a lot of great games. Can't play them all. Don't really care if I miss out on the meaning of some plot. The game seems to have an interesting enough plot as it is. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose!

I couldn't imagine playing this series for anything but the plot, to be honest. I'm just not a big puzzle gamer. I trudge through the puzzles to experience the writing.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JZ

I did

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By robcat09

If you are in it for the plot, there are people who record entire play-throughs on YouTube. You can just sit back and watch. Why bother with the puzzles at all? They are very complex. Just doesn't seem like a good use of time.

It's a puzzle game, first and foremost. Some of the most devious, complex puzzles I've ever seen in a video game. Solving one of the rooms without needing any help makes me feel like Einstein! That feeling is why I'm playing. To me, there are very large cut-scenes in between the playable parts. They are certainly entertaining, but the 'game' part is why I play.

I didn't think I would like the game, but took a gamble, and after solving two rooms, I am hooked, and invested.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndrewB

@robcat09 said:

If you are in it for the plot, there are people who record entire play-throughs on YouTube. You can just sit back and watch. Why bother with the puzzles at all? They are very complex. Just doesn't seem like a good use of time.

It's a puzzle game, first and foremost. Some of the most devious, complex puzzles I've ever seen in a video game. Solving one of the rooms without needing any help makes me feel like Einstein! That feeling is why I'm playing. To me, there are very large cut-scenes in between the playable parts. They are certainly entertaining, but the 'game' part is why I play.

I didn't think I would like the game, but took a gamble, and after solving two rooms, I am hooked, and invested.

There are people who record entire playthroughs with inane comic relief commentary. This is a branching story, and while you have to experience every branch (even the failures) to get the full story, you're missing something by watching someone else play through it. The only reason I recommend people watch a Youtube playthrough of Ever17 is because the game is no longer available in the language 99% of the Giant Bomb audience can understand.

It's not to say that the puzzles are bad, because they're all great. The later ones are challenging, but always fair in explaining what your ultimate goal is, and a rational mind can figure them out without a FAQ given enough thought. However, I *personally* found myself trying to breeze through them because I was so engrossed in the plot and I just wanted to get to the next novel segment. That's what I'm talking about.

I spent the first week and a half since the game's release watching a terrible Youtube playthrough while waiting for Amazon to actually ship the damn thing just because I was so desperate to experience it.

robcat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By robcat09

@AndrewB: just for future reference, this guy doesn't talk over the gameplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IPlayPSVita

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ervonymous

Totally forgot that 999 never saw a European release, thankfully the good ol' DS doesn't care. Good a time as any, just before Christmas makes international deliveries a nightmare. I have no excuse for not playing it earlier.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.