Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 16, 2012

The Nonary Game continues in this sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors under the localized title of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Anyone else have a really negative first impression?

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By notsonic

999 was great. So far I pretty much hate everything about VLR from the graphics to the controls to the characters. All of the character designs are ridiculously bad except for the main character and Phi. I'd have put this down already if 999 wasn't so good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Nope, I had the opposite reaction. I do agree with the graphics though, but the graphics weren't particularly good in the original anyway...

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By apathylad

I didn't care for the ending, but I thought it most of the game was very good.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Keep playing it. Lots of surprises waiting, and some of the characters will grow on you. K, for example, is pretty awesome.

Fuck Dio though.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TAFAE

I thought the 3D models were fine and having voice acting was a huge improvement, but yeah, there were more character designs in VLR that I didn't like than there were in 999. You should stick with it though, OP, this game throws a ton of really good twists at you even if the game isn't quite as good as 999 overall.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

I just don't see how VLR has worse graphics or how its characters have "ridiculously bad" designs. They are tonally and thematically consistent with 999's. I think both graphics and characters are pretty much on par with 999's, for better or worse. And the controls are mostly the same, but with the amazingly useful timeline mechanic that makes navigating each possible story a breeze compared to 999's "replay everything" approach.

Could you elaborate? Because I'm just not seeing the reason for you to hate the game so much.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm surprised to see that people preferred 999; although, for me, one of the main improvements about VLR was the way they fixed navigating through stuff you've already seen.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

@BeachThunder said:

I'm surprised to see that people preferred 999; although, for me, one of the main improvements about VLR was the way they fixed navigating through stuff you've already seen.

I think VLR was the better game overall although the horror elements in 999 are a lot stronger.

anyway to answer the OP, no. I thought the game was excellent from beginning to end.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Mcfart

The art isn't great, but it sucked in 999 as well. However, it's worth it. Go on :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BeachThunder
    @FancySoapsMan I definitely agree with you about the horror aspect, there was an obvious sense of urgency in the first one. Also, I loved the way they mixed fact and fiction in 999.
    notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By notsonic

Sure, 999 had some goofy fuckers, but they all looked like people. Santa was kind of my threshold for ridiculous japanese character designs and VLR went wayyyyyyy off that cliff.

What the hell is on quark's head? Why is there a robot man? Why is clover 80% naked? Why has she, so far, acted like an idiot? What the fuck is Dio wearing, and why does he think he's a bad ass?

Why does everyone seem kind of retarded?

I find myself trying to read as fast as possible to avoid the embarrassingly bad voice acting coming out of most of the cast. Especially Zero III, Dio, and Tenmiyoji.

I don't like how the game will let you mess with puzzles before you get all the pieces.

Moving around the environment is a lot slower, since its polygonal instead of swapping around static images. It increases the difficulty of pixel hunting by straight up allowing you to obscure stuff with stuff if you're not looking at it from the right angle. On top of that, I find myself looking at the lower screen most of the time, so I'm looking at everything through the stupid interference filter smaller and lower res.

(I have played it on vita too, didn't care for the controls either. Game looks much better though.)

There's no feeling of imminent danger like in 999.

Finding the dead body has me slightly back on board for now.
    BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By BBAlpert

@notsonic said:

Sure, 999 had some goofy fuckers, but they all looked like people. Santa was kind of my threshold for ridiculous japanese character designs and VLR went wayyyyyyy off that cliff.

What the hell is on quark's head? Why is there a robot man? Why is clover 80% naked? Why has she, so far, acted like an idiot? What the fuck is Dio wearing, and why does he think he's a bad ass?

Why does everyone seem kind of retarded?

They do address some of these things, some of them explicitly in game, some of them in the gold files, and some of them are just kind of implied. I'll try to give the explanations I can that don't involve direct plot spoilers (so you should be fine reading them), but I'll mark it just in case.

Quark's head thing: I think one of the gold files says that he keeps his lunch in those box things. It's not a good explanation, but I suppose it is an explanation.

Robot man: If you're talking about K, then that does eventually get explained. But not for a loooooong ass time. There is another thing that "robot man" could mean, but that gets explained to some extent relatively soon after you first encounter it. The only other thing I'll say about that is to not skip through the voice acting in that scene (you'll know it when you see it), it's pretty great.

Clover wearing basically nothing: I don't know if it's ever directly stated, but they frequently address how much she admires and idolizes Alice, so I'm assuming that's a factor.

Dio's outfit: In a conversation early on in one of the paths, he says that he's the ringleader of a travelling circus. As for his attitude, it's primarily just because he's an asshole. There are some other factors, but overall it's just that the guy is a total dick.

Everyone being retarded: There's some super duper later game stuff that could maaaaybe start to explain some of this, but I'd chalk it up more to Uchikoshi's writing style than anything else.
    Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Coafi

I feel like VLR is the better game, but 999 had the better story and mood/ atmosphere. VLR new graphics didn't do much for me, I would have prefer if they stuck to the original art style and maybe had animated scenes. Even though I prefer 999 story, I like VLR characters a lot more. It's a good series and each game has its good aspects.

martez87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By martez87

I believe that VLR is a better game in every way besides the ending. That's not to say that the ending in VLR is bad, its spectacular, its just that the ending in 999 is probably the greatest ending to any game ever and gives the player more closure.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ElCapitan

I didn't much care for the 3D models compared to the anime art from the first game, but I like VLR as much or more than 999.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By deadmoscow

I thought the game was fantastic, I only took issue with a few things. I thought the character design for two of the female characters was atrocious - give them some damn clothes! The voice actor for Zero Jr was so obnoxious I just skipped past every spoken part (although apparently some people didn't feel that way). Finally, the ending wasn't as satisfying as 999, but I think that's because this game was intended to be a middle chapter as opposed to a singular work.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

They had me from the first SEEK A WAY OUT!

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By neurotic

Well, I'm about halfway through my first playthrough and it blew my mind when I discovered the ending tree grows, I thought I was at an end already. I'm not as hooked as I was with 999, that's for certain but there's a lot of the game to go and not much has been revealed yet so we'll see. The wackier characters kind of bug me (Dio, Quark, K, Zero III) but I'm getting over that hump. The rest I like just fine (Luna <3) and the puzzles are better so far. No numbers = happy me.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Neezie

I'm not liking it that much. The rules for the game are a little too complicated so I feel a little confused story-wise. I don't like the puzzles that much, it feels like they have one or two too many steps to them, I really liked the flow of the puzzles in 999 and it feels off in this one. I'm going to finish it, now that I'm going to be snowed in I don't have much else to do but I'm not liking it as much as 999 so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.