Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 5

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 06, 2012

The fifth entry in the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series, overhauled in terms of style and game mechanics.

Is this a good place to start playing this series?

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I got Yakuza 5 on playstation plus back when it was free and like Mr. Ryckert I've been wanting to check out this franchies for a while so would 5 be a good place to start or sould I start with anouther game in the series like say 4 which I also got back when it was on plus?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

4 might be a better choice if you want to get up to speed on the series. I think it was the last game to recap previous entries as mini-movies but I might be thinking of 3.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

@uppercaseccc: Honestly jumping into any of these games out of order is going to be really confusing but since it's probably too much to start playing from the beginning I'd say go for the newest one. EDIT: I forgot about those recap videos since I never watched them, so yah as most people suggested that would be a decent place to start.

What you need to know:

• Kazuma is a Yakuza that fought his blood brother on top of an exploding skyscraper and returned order to the clans.
    • At some point he adopted Haruka and has been raising her as his daughter.
    • Kazuma is a badass that tries to live the quiet life but keeps getting pulled back into yakuza nonsense.
    • Street toughs never learn.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

4 is a better place to jump in at, and I think better overall. Or at least a better story, for whatever that's worth. 4 does have recap videos of the first three games, and they're quite lengthy/in depth. 5, for whatever reason, doesn't have any of those videos.

However, you might just be better off waiting until early next year when Yakuza 0 comes to PS4 in the west. I mean, it won't be free like 5 was on Plus, but it'll be on PS4, and it's a prequel, so I'd assume you don't really need to have played all the games to get what's going on (but who knows, I might be wrong).

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I started with four, it has a good reminiscing thing that covers one, two and three. Most of the characters in four are new/new-ish so it's like the start of an arc in that sense. It also goes completely nuts, storyline wise, which I appreciated. Five continues that arc and the story also goes completely nuts, which is great.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By IamTerics

I started with 3 and I don't think there's a way to not make it confusing at first. But also the stories play out in a way that isn't super confusing. I bet you could get pretty worn out if you went from 4 immediately to 5. This is amplified by how similar they all are and the fact that 5 has bunch of small stuff that make the game better than the other ones. So honestly, if you don't want to spend another 40ish hours per game, I think starting at 5 is totally fine.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

I started with 4 and it felt like the perfect place to start if you're not willing to go all the way back to the first one. It's kind of a soft-reboot for the franchise and spends most of the game centered around brand new characters. There's also video recaps of the first 3 games to catch you up on important details.

5 felt much more dependant on 4 to set it up and and tended to reference previous events and characters a whole lot more. I'm sure it's possible to start there and enjoy it, but if you have the option to start with 4 I recommend that one.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would wait until Yakuza Zero comes out in the west, as I'm doing.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 5 eventually doles out the essential information that you need to understand Kazuma. If you want to dive deep, play the past games, but I think 5 paints a good general picture of Kazuma and the insanely anime world he lives in, over-the-top hand gestures and all.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 5's the first one that doesn't feature a massive catch-up video. 3 or 4 is probably a better spot. Actually, 4 helps fill in the blanks with the other protagonists.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend starting with 3 but you totally can play 5 as a standalone title, the stories in it are pretty self contained. Either way you will feel utterly confused at times. The J-drama is strong in these titles so expect overly complicated intrigues and heavy handed dialogues.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I think 5's the first one that doesn't feature a massive catch-up video. 3 or 4 is probably a better spot. Actually, 4 helps fill in the blanks with the other protagonists.

Yeah. I miss those recap videos, was hoping for one in 5 because it was so long since I beat 3 and 4.

I started with 3, and I've very much enjoyed the series.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BoOzak
    @ravelle said:

I would wait until Yakuza Zero comes out in the west, as I'm doing.

I would suggest this but since he got the other games free it might be a better idea to try it first before putting money down on a series you might not enjoy playing.

I'd say 4 is the perfect place to start that isnt the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.