Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Sega's Yakuza series moves to the PlayStation 3 for its third installment, bringing all the comically brutal beat-em-up gameplay, Japanese RPG storytelling and various mini-games with it.

Whoever Wins, I Lose.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edited By yukoasho

I haven't updated in a while. 

I don't know when I will again. 

At some point, coming up with something to talk about what can hold interest without showing the triteness of the internet, especially as this blog was cutting into my gaming time.

This, however, is keeping me up. 

The source of my anguish.

This shouldn't, I know.  I'd never found appeal in the series, and Sega's cutting of the game to ribbons made me revolted by its very existence. 

Were it so simple.

A very important person to me sent this game to me as a birthday gift (my birthday is on the 18th of March) as a surprise, something I just discovered when I came home on the 17th after a 7-day hospital stay.  It had been the result of my promise to try games that I might not, but he liked.  It had been something I'd been curious about: What would he send me?  Would it be fun?  Would it be interesting?  Would it make me a fan of something I previously wouldn't bother with?

Instead, here I am with a moral dilemma.

This had been something he pre-ordered for me.  It was something he clearly loves, and defends whenever I make my position - that Sega's actions are unjustifiable, and any purchase or play of the game simply indulges Sega, a company that will only do the bare minimum (look what happened to Sonic).

He had time to cancel the pre-order, and instead stuck with it, leaving me two decidedly unappealing options.

ONE - I can trade the game in at GameStop for credit toward another game.  That sends the message that I will dismiss anything this person likes out of hand, something he already accuses me of more often than I'd like.  No doubt it would eliminate this opportunity in the future.

TWO - I can play it, and send the message to Sega - by having the game on my PSN account - that their actions are not only appropriate, but desired.  I can play it, and give them the thumbs up to take shortcuts in future localizations, to make cuts out of convenience.

On the one hand, I hurt someone I care for dearly, on the other, I become a Modern Warfare 2 PC "boycotter," one with opinions, but no desire to live up to them when it matters.   Injure a friend or abandon my ideals.  A nice, hard kick in the vagoo either way.

I just thought I'd share the source of my sleepless night.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By yukoasho

At some point, coming up with something to talk about what can hold interest without showing the triteness of the internet, especially as this blog was cutting into my gaming time.

This, however, is keeping me up. 

This shouldn't, I know.  I'd never found appeal in the series, and Sega's cutting of the game to ribbons made me revolted by its very existence. 

Were it so simple.

A very important person to me sent this game to me as a birthday gift (my birthday is on the 18th of March) as a surprise, something I just discovered when I came home on the 17th after a 7-day hospital stay.  It had been the result of my promise to try games that I might not, but he liked.  It had been something I'd been curious about: What would he send me?  Would it be fun?  Would it be interesting?  Would it make me a fan of something I previously wouldn't bother with?

Instead, here I am with a moral dilemma.

This had been something he pre-ordered for me.  It was something he clearly loves, and defends whenever I make my position - that Sega's actions are unjustifiable, and any purchase or play of the game simply indulges Sega, a company that will only do the bare minimum (look what happened to Sonic).

He had time to cancel the pre-order, and instead stuck with it, leaving me two decidedly unappealing options.

ONE - I can trade the game in at GameStop for credit toward another game.  That sends the message that I will dismiss anything this person likes out of hand, something he already accuses me of more often than I'd like.  No doubt it would eliminate this opportunity in the future.

TWO - I can play it, and send the message to Sega - by having the game on my PSN account - that their actions are not only appropriate, but desired.  I can play it, and give them the thumbs up to take shortcuts in future localizations, to make cuts out of convenience.

On the one hand, I hurt someone I care for dearly, on the other, I become a Modern Warfare 2 PC "boycotter," one with opinions, but no desire to live up to them when it matters.   Injure a friend or abandon my ideals.  A nice, hard kick in the vagoo either way.

I just thought I'd share the source of my sleepless night.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

The cuts Sega have made are pretty insane. I think upon calculation, something like 23-27% of the game has been cut? 

That said, the game is fairly good still, although more enjoyable for people who have played previous ones. Or hell, just watch the movie even. 

Boycotting stuff seems a bit pointless, as most of the time the number of people who do it isn't significant enough to send a message to whoever they're trying to reach. It seems especially so in this case, where Sega is going to keep doing dumb crap, like they constantly have, no matter what people think. 

Before you go trade it in, this game is pretty rare and hard to find, even though it did just come out, so keep that in mind. 
    Also, having the game on your PSN account shouldn't mean much, so you should at least try it out. 

One last thing, if you do play it, do every revelation you can find, they are awesome.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Play it. Boy coting a game is pointless. Look what happened with L4D2. The game still sold lots.  

The game IS fun. Be happy we got the game. A lot of fans begged Sega to bring it over.  

And like Shiro said. I all most did not get this game. It was hard to find.  

Play the game. You will enjoy it. Yes content was cut. Sega claims it was stuff Westerners would not fully understand. *Course if you play video games none of the stuff content is strange to you* YES stupid move. But no reason to boycot this fun game.  

O and sega does not run around checking PSN accounts...saying " O LOOK THEY BOUGHT IT THIS MEANS THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT CUT CONTENT!"  

If my friend got me a game. I would play it though. Even if it was Rouge warrior I would play it though.  

As for Kotaku's " Cutting to ribbons" I think that statement *Cutting to ribbons* Is a bit silly. 

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bhhawks78

Boycotting is for internet warriors.

It was a gift, try it, and if you hate it smile and say it has it's ups and downs and that you appreciate it.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vaiz

Be a bro, bro. Try the game.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By RedBullRacer

Buy it, if you boycot it you will only lose out if they never release the 4th one cos this one didn't sell well. Buy it and then email, write to SEGA asking for the cut stuff to be added. If enough of us do it you never know they might add it, I will say, I'm 18hrs in and loving every minute of it. It's annoying to know hostess clubs etc should be there but just play it and try to pretend it wasn't in the Japanese version and enjoy the story and the crazy Japaneseness of it :) 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This choice seems to boil down to which you value more, your opposition of Sega or your friend's feelings. Personally I'd just play the game.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By yevinorion

Play the game. Honestly, it's a shame that stuff was cut, but at the end of the day the game is still good enough to warrant playing. Especially if it was given to you by a friend. Don't worry about that skank called Sega. Bros before hoes, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.