Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

Q: How to best enjoy War of the Chosen?

rh51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How should I go about enjoying the War of the Chosen DLC?

I, somewhat recently, started ago generated Xcom 2 on ps4. I'm really enjoying it, and I would love to get the most out of the experience. Now that War of the Chosen is out, should I restart my game with the DLC installed since I'm still fairly early on? Or is it a DLC that is separate from the main campaign? What are your thoughts?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's deeply integrated into the main campaign. If you want to play it you need to start a new game.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rh51: If this is your first time playing X-com 2, I'd recommend finishing your vanilla playthrough. Reason being, War of the Chosen adds so much more stuff that even experienced players can get overwhelmed by the early game. Then take a break, maybe play something else, and come back and start a WotC playthrough. That way you avoid burning out. Two runs back-to-back can be a bit much, I find.

rh51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundamguru: Okay, cool. It is my first time playing Xcom 2, so I'll follow your advice!

rh51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BladedEdge

From what I have seen, you can safely skip the tutorial from the main game while installing and getting the story content from the chosen dlc, if you turn on everything related too it.

Slight spoilers here but not much. Story wise the war of the chosen adds A specific mission, and a cut-scene with the chosen) at least as far as I've gotten in the dlc. I've started a new game tutorial+dlc and just dlc, tutorial turned off, and I got all the same dlc storyline stuff.

That said, I can't confirm if turning off the tutorial cuts out story-content in the mid/late game. Since I've never beaten it. That's just my experience with how the tutorial being on or off interacts with the dlc in the early game.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a different but related question so please excuse me as I hijack this thread:

I've played a good bit of XCOM 2 as well as the Long War 2 mod but never got any of the other DLC.

-The punk rock cosmetics looked dumb to me

-The boss aliens seemed waaay too OP to be fun with their "take a turn after every action point" nonsense

-Shen's DLC didn't seem significant nor did the new robot units seem as useful/cool as XCOM 1's mechs

Are my impressions wrong? Does the new expansion do anything to make the previous DLCs worthwhile?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have to agree with the advise itt to finish a vanilla run first. I did that on Rookie and had a blast, and have now started a normal run on the WotC. The macro game is pretty damn overwhelming for sure, and the options and choices, and threats to assess can feel very intimidating. I think I'll be ok because of things I learned playing the vanilla though, combat-wise for sure. But how to deal w/the Chosen and that Advent meter simultaneously is worrisome. Still such a good game and expansion. I love this game and I played XCOM EU and finished it but never felt this hooked.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrack: Long story short, War of the Chosen really sidelines most of the value of those DLCs. Both Alien Rulers and Shen's Last Gift are reduced to a few bonus bosses and some extra buildable weapon projects. WotC was really designed to stand on it's own. Personally, if I'd passed on the other DLC to this point, nothing about how WotC integrates it would change my mind.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundamguru: Great! I get to save some money then. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.