Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

RROD PREVENTION TIPS!

gamenut101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gamenut101

Things you can do to avoid the dreaded RROD! 

I treated me first console like crap and I paid the price! But know I use the stuff I have stated below and my box is going strong! One year two months so far!

1 . Play you system for no more then 5 hours at time.

2. If your room is hot, say above 30 C / 86 F do not use for more then 1 to 2 hours

3. If you have HD, load the game onto it.

4. Always have your system in the open. 

5. Never put the console on the floor.

6. Never block or obstruct any of the systems fans.

7. Never leave a CD or DVD or game in the console(it creates some suction when you turn the system back on, which brings lots of dust into the console).

8. Do not use a cooler, even one with external power. Because again the cooler can suck air in when you shut it down, which brings even more dust inside the console!

9. I can't think of much else, so if fellow GB members have any other tips, put them in this post!!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Scooper

7's a good tip. I never thought of that.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Be like me, smoke in your room, leave a disc in your system...etc and never experience RROD on either of your 360's experience e74 once but that was nothing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64
    @Scooper said:
    " 7's a good tip. I never thought of that. "
    Same here.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Suction? I've never heard such BS in my life. Think about it people...how does a flat, spinning disc create suction?

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Gav47
    @MB said:
    " Suction? I've never heard such BS in my life. Think about it people...how does a flat, spinning disc create suction? "
    Science
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: I dunno it seems kinda plausible. I treated my gamecube like shit and my PC was full of dust and I could have it on for 2 days and it works absolutely fine so it's stupid we even have to think of this stuff. We shouldn't have to give it special treatment just to keep it going.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum

You're kidding, right? How does a flat CD, doing nothing but sitting in a tray, create suction? I have always kept my CDs in my Xbox when booting them back up, and I certainly wouldn't attribute that to my Xbox getting the three-rings the first and only time (It lasted nearly two years under your "suction / dust problem"). I bought it back in February of 2007, and it died in November of 2008. You tell me, was I sucking the life out of my Xbox, or was I in the timeline of when the three-rings being the most prone to Xbox users? Tip: I'd go with the latter.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai
    @MB:  Something I've been wondering for a while now.
    MB = Master Blaster? 

@WilliamRLBaker said:

" Be like me, smoke in your room, leave a disc in your system...etc and never experience RROD on either of your 360's experience e74 once but that was nothing. "

I've learn long ago that claiming stuff like that will get you into trouble with the video game gods. you better sacrifice a virgin game disc to appease them. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

nah sorry if my 360s die from rrod or e74 ill simply get em fixed for free.
    if not ill complain and get a discount on repair.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

You don't want rrod? Don't turn on your 360. 

And I call bs on number 1. I never have my 360 on for more then 2 hours, yet I am on number 4 or 5...I stopped counting, it is depressing. You can't stop rrod, the x clamps are pieces of shit and warp. You can't escape destiny.

gamenut101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By gamenut101
    @Stang said:
    " You don't want rrod? Don't turn on your 360.   And I call bs on number 1. I never have my 360 on for more then 2 hours, yet I am on number 4 or 5...I stopped counting, it is depressing. You can't stop rrod, the x clamps are pieces of shit and warp. You can't escape destiny. "
    It's just some tips that will maybe help the longevity of the system! I don't think you can totally avoid it, but if it extends it, even by a few months, that's still more time before you have to send it off to the big M!
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike
    @Scooper said:
    " @MB: I dunno it seems kinda plausible.
    How is it even remotely plausible? To create suction, air has to be moved. A flat spinning disc moves virtually no air because there are no aerofoils. It's basic physics.
    Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Infinityslimit

We shouldn't have to worry about this if Microsoft made a good peice of reliable hardware. As much as I love 360 on the software end, it's hardware end is garbage. It's loud obnoxious and prone to failure.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @MB said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @MB: I dunno it seems kinda plausible.
    How is it even remotely plausible? To create suction, air has to be moved. A flat spinning disc moves virtually no air because there are no aerofoils. It's basic physics. "
    but a flat disc in a confined space creates a more confied space.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper
    @MB: He says don't have the disc in when you turn it on. I guess when you switch it on it draws a bunch of air in and if there's a disc in there then the air can't get pulled through there it gets pulled from the sides of the disc tray which maybe creates more suction? I'm not a physisist so don't bust my balls on it. I doubt it would make any difference to the life of your 360 and I don't really care.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru

This list is good advice to follow for all consoles, not just for RRoD prevention. 

I don't know about more suction being created, but I've seen tip #7 mentioned quite often, typically mentioned in various manuals for consoles. Here is a similar point mentioned in Nintendo GameCube Health & Safety Precautions Manual:

When not using discs, store them in their cases to prevent them from getting scratched, dirty or damaged. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.