Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Volume

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 18, 2015

Volume is a stealth game by Thomas Was Alone designer, Mike Bithell.

Volume - A Stealth Game! Are You Playing It?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

This release seemed to sneak up on me (deal with it).

For some reason I thought it was one of those bullshit timed-exclusives for PS4, but it is also available on PC! Did you grab it? I personally love this style of stealth and the focus on non-weapon gameplay had me sold. I've played some of the tutorial levels only so far, and I'm really digging the low-poly art. Voice acting seems great with snarky and succinct writing. The alert sound effect made me jump out of my seat the first time it happened. I'm a nut who loves time attack in certain games, and this one might just suck me in.

So what's your initial impression?

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

I picked it up as well - was not a fan of Thomas Was Alone, but this game intrigued me enough take the plunge.

So far, I'm glad I did. It's basically a version of Metal Gear, served up in bite sized chunks. I never played MGS VR Missions, but I hear that's a more accurate comparison.

My only major gripe is the checkpoints - honestly, I don't know what the dev was thinking - it's so easy to cheat your way through so many of the areas... and for the leaderboard focused game such as this, that's a big oversight. At the very least, he should have had a Ranked Mode where the rooms had no checkpoints at all.

But I'm still having a lot of fun with the game and it's well worth the $20 - like the amazing N++, it has community created levels, so content goes well beyond the core story mode.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Heck yeah ! I'm enjoying it quite a bit .

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By nickhead

@soupbones: yes I agree on the checkpoints. There's already been a few times where I just ran right by a Pawn instead of trying to sneak because I knew I'd make it to the checkpoint.

I also got my first gadget last night - the one you throw and explode from a distance to create noise. It legit took me a few minutes to even figure out how to use it because the in-game text tutorial for the controls was a little unclear.

Minor gripes aside I really do love the look and feel of it. If you buy on PC it's also marked down by $2 right now.

SuperLuigiBros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@soupbones: Regarding the checkpoints, the designer has said he's going to make a mode following feedback that removes all the story stuff and checkpoints for a more pure stealthy experience.

http://www.volumegame.net/blog/2015/8/19/30-hours-later-playstation-fix-level-creator-promotion-checkpointing

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@superluigibros: That's awesome! I'm going to actually stop playing it now and wait for this.

Thanks for the info!

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to pick it up, just have too other games to play right now.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just launched on the Vita. I picked it up during the PSN sale at 50% off because Mike Bithell said it'd be crossbuy for Vita if you have it on PS4 and I was interested in playing it.

So far it's pretty good. It's basically the Metal Gear VR missions but with bigger maps and almost all scenarios so far have just been collect gems, get to the the end of the level.

If I have one complaint about it, it's that the text is way too small. I don't know if that's just on the Vita, haven't tried it on my PS4 yet, but it's too small to comfortably read at arms length without having to strain my eyes. It makes the same mistake I think Transistor did. It went for style over function when it comes to it's presentation.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm certainly looking forward to trying it out on my Vita. (I got it a month ago and I'm really trying to play as much as I can on it.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.