Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Voice Acting

Concept »

Voice Acting is the art of providing voices for characters in games, television shows, films, radio programs, and other forms of media.

Unfortunate Dubbing -- Japanese Version of Fallout: New Vegas

HungryMatango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Edited By HungryMatango

The Japanese version of Fallout: New Vegas features lackluster, disappointing dubbing.   Considering the number of NPCs and unique voices featured in the English versions of the game, I am constantly irked by running across the voice of the same Japanese actor covering multiple, distinct NPC personalities.   Furthermore, nearly all nuances in accent, vocabulary, and delivery of the English dialogue are lost in rather dead-pan Japanese readings.   There are some exceptions, of course, and the robot voices are almost always entertaining.    As a whole, however, the decision to produce Japanese voice-overs, instead of leaving the English acting intact, significantly detracts from the flavor and variety of the wasteland's myriad characters.

I am tempted to set aside my Japanese edition and import a copy of the 'Asia' release, which, unlike the Japanese version, still features the original English voice acting.   For the sake of full disclosure, however, I must admit I am one of those people who always prefers subtitles over dubbing--even when I don't understand a word of the spoken dialogue.   

HungryMatango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By HungryMatango

The Japanese version of Fallout: New Vegas features lackluster, disappointing dubbing.   Considering the number of NPCs and unique voices featured in the English versions of the game, I am constantly irked by running across the voice of the same Japanese actor covering multiple, distinct NPC personalities.   Furthermore, nearly all nuances in accent, vocabulary, and delivery of the English dialogue are lost in rather dead-pan Japanese readings.   There are some exceptions, of course, and the robot voices are almost always entertaining.    As a whole, however, the decision to produce Japanese voice-overs, instead of leaving the English acting intact, significantly detracts from the flavor and variety of the wasteland's myriad characters.

I am tempted to set aside my Japanese edition and import a copy of the 'Asia' release, which, unlike the Japanese version, still features the original English voice acting.   For the sake of full disclosure, however, I must admit I am one of those people who always prefers subtitles over dubbing--even when I don't understand a word of the spoken dialogue.   

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, why are you playing a game in Japanese that is meant to be played in English? Clearly you know how to understand it if you're writing in English on this site. 

contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By contagious
    @MooseyMcMan: 
    @HungryMatango said:

I am tempted to set aside my Japanese edition and import a copy of the 'Asia' release, which, unlike the Japanese version, still features the original English voice acting.

and OP, its a shame that the game just doesn't come with original voice acting, it seems like more work to remove and replace then to just add the japanese recordings.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
    @MooseyMcMan: From his about page:

Currently living in Japan, enjoying language study and research.   I spend the majority of my time doing Japanese, Chinese, and Korean history, but that doesn't mean neglecting games or reading science fiction novels (esp. ones with space marines).

Since he's in Japan, the Japanese version was probably the easiest for him to get. 

@contagious said:
    " it seems like more work to remove and replace then to just add the japanese recordings. "
    That's typical localization work. I've rarely seen a game with multiple voice tracks. I think it's probably easier for the localization team to just replace the current voice track than to keep them both in and add a language toggle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.