Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

New Total War Game: New Fortress AI Issues

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By gpbmike

I ran into a couple of AI problems today while playing that I thought I'd share with the lot of you. I was defending a fortress against an overwhelming force; my four retainers versus a rebellion. My main army was still a turn away so I thought I'd see if I could hold out because why not? Turns out, I could, but not by any skill. I present exhibit A: 

No Caption Provided
    I huddled all of my men around victory point and waited for death to come. They made one push and then..... stopped. You can see on the mini map that some of them bunched up outside of the final wall. Some just sat outside of the castle entirely. Well, I wasn't particularly keen on losing the castle and having to take it back again, so I just sped up time, waited, and eventually won.

The next turn my large army arrived to garrison the fortress. The rebels attacked again but did even make it past the first wall. All of the rebels routed except the general. For whatever reason he then galloped up to the wall on horseback with his bodyguard, stopped, dismounted, and proceeded to be cut down in a shower of arrows. Perhaps it would have been dishonorable at this point to flee? 

So my question to you fine players of Shogun 2: What kind of issues have you seen pop up during gameplay? Is the AI in total war games getting better? Shogun 2 supposedly incorporates tactics from the Art of War. Seen any of that?
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @gpbmike: If i was in the place of the commander of the fortress (you), I'd shut the fuck up and be glad i won :D
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By veektarius

I've also had problems with the AI on assaulting the walls, though I've never had them give up.  I guess, at the same time, I've never abandoned the wall defenses.  However, the AI of reinforcement armies is simply nonexistent  - they'll only move if you send a unit to provoke them, and once that unit is taken care of, they'll return to a huddled, immobile mass.  That's probably the biggest issue I've run into in terms of battle AI, though I've never seen it be particularly brilliant, either.   

On the campaign AI, I have managed to take advantage of the AI's single-mindedness.  For example, as I was nearing victory in my Date campaign, I had three armies approaching Kyoto.  The first army to arrive defeated the Shogun's army, but lost enough troops that it had to retreat in the face of an army from one of the shogun's allies.  The AI persisted in chasing the one army while the other two slipped in behind and laid siege to Kyoto.   In another case, the AI had driven me from one province and was chasing the army into the next.  Rather than garrisoning the castle, I bypassed it in order to leave room for a retreat.  Even though this left my castle undefended, the AI bypassed it as well to chase my army, in so doing, allowing it to reinforce in a friendly province and ultimately win in the open field.  

Had some other weirdness occur too.  During realm divide, a distant faction from Kyushu kept sending naval armies to try and invade my unprotected interior.  After the first fiasco, I had two fleets in place to stop some invasions, but I let one slip by.  I sent a fleet to desperately (and hopelessly) pursue, but on the fateful turn where I expected the army to land, the fleet turned around in the water instead and ended up facing my vastly superior force.   

These experiences are all on normal, and so may not be representative of the AI's full capabilities.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

Creative Assembly hasn't improved their AI since Medieval II. It's one of the reasons I'm completely boycotting their games until they fix it; the last game I bought was Empire which was a total disappointment (fences were apparently impassable barriers to American revolutionaries).

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Nentisys
    @Geno said:
    " Creative Assembly hasn't improved their AI since Medieval II. It's one of the reasons I'm completely boycotting their games until they fix it; the last game I bought was Empire which was a total disappointment (fences were apparently impassable barriers to American revolutionaries). "

Ever heard of mods, brah?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Sometimes devs build AI under preconceptions that "of course the player is going to ____" and you get shit like this. Its like with older RTSs. "Of course they're going to fully barricade, so we'll have the AI look for an opening". Then you proceed to build a mouse maze for them to walk through and build towers or archers nearby (depending on the game) and watch their whole army die in the maze.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno
    @Nentisys said:
    "@Geno said:
    " Creative Assembly hasn't improved their AI since Medieval II. It's one of the reasons I'm completely boycotting their games until they fix it; the last game I bought was Empire which was a total disappointment (fences were apparently impassable barriers to American revolutionaries). "

Ever heard of mods, brah?

"

I have, but I feel the developer shouldn't have to rely on fan-made mods for their games to have basic functionality.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Wuddel

I think the AI is getting better. They make better use of mountains and cover terrain. I even lost a couple of battles (well, mostly siege) against AI on normal. That being said winning against double the force on plain terrain is not uncommon. On the campaign map it makes more use of distances (attacking a province before you can rush back to defend). I haven't played on higher difficulties yet. Empire on the other hand was easy even on very hard on both sliders (now a single slider in Shogun 2). 

Last defense I won with only 1 additional unit was luring a couple of yari units around the battlefield with my single light cavalry unit until they were exhausted and barley could climb the wall.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they were using the "Quit while you're ahead" tactic.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ryanwho said:
    " Sometimes devs build AI under preconceptions that "of course the player is going to ____" and you get shit like this. Its like with older RTSs. "Of course they're going to fully barricade, so we'll have the AI look for an opening". Then you proceed to build a mouse maze for them to walk through and build towers or archers nearby (depending on the game) and watch their whole army die in the maze. "
    I used to do that shit in Age of Mythology.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Wuddel said:
    " I think the AI is getting better. They make better use of mountains and cover terrain. I even lost a couple of battles (well, mostly siege) against AI on normal. That being said winning against double the force on plain terrain is not uncommon. On the campaign map it makes more use of distances (attacking a province before you can rush back to defend). I haven't played on higher difficulties yet. Empire on the other hand was easy even on very hard on both sliders (now a single slider in Shogun 2).   

I agree with the sentiment of your post. I remember the first release of ETW and the whole bloody siege system was upside down. Incidentally, I feel they have done an excellent job of improving the battle AI in some areas. Cavalry, for instance, does not simple charge at the centre of a block of infantry (like in ETW) or perpetually towards the flanks (like in NTW); they chase down archers, but keep their distance from spear infantry. One area for improvement (where the AI consistently fails) is fatigue management: on several occasions I would walk my troops to where I wanted them on the field, and I would watch in amazement as the AI flogged his exhausted troops across the entire battlefield and straight into a charge at my comfortably stationary forces. 
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By weltal

I've only played the demo, so maybe not representative of the final game but when I was assaulting a castle I set my archer up outside the wall and just had them rain arrows down on them and they simply stood there and where cut down by arrows. Eventually I figured out that I could climb walls, ran around the castle climbed up got above the remaining guards and just shot arrows at them till they died. They did nothing to retaliate.

Kind of a bummer.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By NickL

Seriously... if creative assemblies would wait a few extra months in between total war releases and worked entirely on the AI, I dont think ANYONE would care.... if they ever do fix their AI it will probably be the greatest game i have ever played =p

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Every time I'm in a siege battle involving reinforcing armies, the AI's reinforcing army always just lines up and waits there, not moving. I had a battle as the Hojo, a full stack in the castle vs 3 stacks of Takeda, and after dealing with the first stack the next stack just camped themselves in a valley until the hour was over.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @NickL:  

It's unlikely that we'll ever see CA put that much time into AI. As many people have said (look to the Steam Total War forums for the definition of indignant acrimony), there has been a serious want for passable battle AI in the post-Empire games (even RTW and MTWII had such issues, albeit in less abundance).  

The Empire:Total War release was my personal favourite: the game had numerous issues at launch and didn't receive a proper fix until Napoleon: Total War was released.
    calum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By calum

Yeah, I had a similar issue, I wouldn't call it a problem though. I had two Yari peasants and my retainers and by first holding the corner (they always seem to climb the wall at the closest corner) I managed to rout almost a full stack of Samurai and Yari men. I had to flee from their arrows alot, but so long as you stay close to the walls then the cover is good. Then the archers and the general attacked. To make the archer climb the walls, just hide at the opposite end of the fortress and then charge them when they get to the wall. Then they have to face two units basically one by one. The general killed a few of my dudes and then fled. However, this was on the smallest castle. I tired a similar thing with a few more guys against a few less of theirs on a big castle and got surrounded and picked apart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.