Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

I'm having fun with Shogun 2

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Funkydupe

I think it connects well with something I loved doing as a kid, and that's playing with army men and action force characters. Its great, and I somehow never seem to tire of watching the units fight in melee. I'm already hoping for a Shogun 3, but I know that won't happen as it probably was a really slim chance that we'd even see a sequel to the original Shogun. 

Since its release its been treated to some okay patches, and I've never encountered game-stopping bugs in singleplayer. I've hardly touched multi-player, and that's where I believe they've had some issues like the game falling out of sync. I've spotted patch-notes in that regard so perhaps its been improved. 

I can't wait to see what the next game will be coming out from Creative Assembly. A lot of people want Rome 2, which I can totally support. Supposedly ranged-combat isn't too well captured in these games, but still I'd really like to see a futuristic game with lasers and mechs and whatnot. 

Anyway, I recommend Shogun 2. Once you get better at the game and understand the units, its a real test to progress through the difficulty settings. I've played a lot and I haven't been able to beat any campaign on Very Hard yet. Legendary is the notch that is tougher and that's near-impossible, or so I think anyway. In Very Hard it sometimes feels like I could have a slim shot, but hehe I'm not good enough I think.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Funkydupe:  

It's a great game, but I find that I prefer Napoleon: Total War for the same reason that you listed above; it feels like the realization of all those fantastic campaigns of puerility.
    Kaibar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kaibar

I tried the demo, but couldn't really get into it. I kinda feel it's a bit too slow, since I like my RTSs fast, so maybe it would have been better for me if it was round-based.

That's just my opinion though, I can totally see how the slow pace and the strategic placing of units that comes from that can be appealing to some players.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Kaibar:  

It is turn-based, but the game has a fast paced multiplayer mode: with the exception of the setup and lag, it's one of the most stressful and intense RTS battles I've played. I find that the Total War series sits perfectly balanced to my experience with the Civilization series, with the former preferred for speed/action, and the latter for its plodding trek through complexity; indeed, the whole series is much slower than other RTS's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.