Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Motion sickness?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Hi everyone, I just recently started playing this and I'm enjoying it, but something about it is making me really sick. I've never had any trouble with any other games but this one.

I can't play for more than half an hour at a time without really feeling it, so I'm still exploring the Coastal Forest, but I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with this?

I'm on PC, does anyone know of anything that could be causing it? Or possible fixes? I've turned off motion blur and screen effects and haven't seen a difference.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I usually use a controller with 3rd person games, and sit back a bit from the monitor. Maybe see if Vsync on/off helps?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@onimonkii: I played it on console and never experienced motion sickness. Then again I've never experienced motion sickness in any game ever even though I still get car sick once in a while. I don't recall the game having an excessive head-bob effect when walking. Possibly see about your refresh rate?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@m16mojo2: @humanity: Thanks, I'll try messing with vsync and maybe running it in a smaller window would help.

I tried playing with mouse & keyboard just now and the camera movement seemed less violent, but still moved a lot when just simply walking forward. It could just be this area as well since there's a lot of uneven terrain.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I remember the camera moving a lot in this game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@onimonkii: It definitely shouldn't be uneven terrain that is doing it. If that is the case then you're in for a ride because the beginning of Tomb Raider is nothing compared to some of the later levels when things are exploding and falling all around/on you.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be FOV, I've seen it making some people feel sick before (in other games).

Unfortunately quick google search suggests that there isn't an easy way to adjust it in this game; maybe try sitting farther away (or possibly closer?). A more drastic solution may be to switch aspect ratios to see if it is any better.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By audioBusting

Try turning off the motion blur with v-sync on. I believe motion blur falls under the post-processing option. Edit: Whooops I missed that in the OP, nevermind. Maybe some ginger tea would help?

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually threw up a couple of times while playing this game, but that was probably due to the sickening dull gameplay.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The camera can definitely be a bit shaky especially when running. So maybe try just walking places and not sprinting. But they went for a weird "survival documentary" camera sort of thing. Hope you can find a way to power through. It's excellent.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't recall if the game had motion blur but if it does, turn that off. I will never understand why games have motion blur and why you would what that.

blakdeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to take Dramamine before playing some games. I usually take it half an hour before I start playing. I helps quite a bit.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

I can't recall if the game had motion blur but if it does, turn that off. I will never understand why games have motion blur and why you would what that.

I love when games have motion blur, it makes the graphics look so much more real. Crysis uses motion blur to great effect, and most people say that game had the best graphics ever when it came out. P.T. also uses it a little too, and that game also looks incredible.

The reason it makes it look so much more real is because in real life we see motion blur all the time. The only thing as humans we ever see completely clearly is what is right in front of us and still, any movement of our head blurs its just how it works..you don't notice it because you've lived your whole life seeing that way...but try reading a small sign while spinning around and your head still..it's blurry.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Hi everyone, I just recently started playing this and I'm enjoying it, but something about it is making me really sick. I've never had any trouble with any other games but this one.

I can't play for more than half an hour at a time without really feeling it, so I'm still exploring the Coastal Forest, but I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with this?

I'm on PC, does anyone know of anything that could be causing it? Or possible fixes? I've turned off motion blur and screen effects and haven't seen a difference.

Turn motion blur off and VSync on, keep the framerate capped at 30 FPS. The camera is that game is shakes so violently at the slightest provocation, like it's trying to imitate a found-footage movie. It's the only game where I prefer 30 FPS just because, and don't shoot me for saying this, it looks more like a movie.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

I love when games have motion blur, it makes the graphics look so much more real. Crysis uses motion blur to great effect, and most people say that game had the best graphics ever when it came out. P.T. also uses it a little too, and that game also looks incredible.

The reason it makes it look so much more real is because in real life we see motion blur all the time. The only thing as humans we ever see completely clearly is what is right in front of us and still, any movement of our head blurs its just how it works..you don't notice it because you've lived your whole life seeing that way...but try reading a small sign while spinning around and your head still..it's blurry.

I guess there's a difference between good and bad blur then, some games have really heavy motion blur and it feels more like you're drunk than anything else, I can't remember the blur from Crysis though. I'll shall check out the P.T demo and it's blur. I usually turn it off when it impacts the framerate of a game or if it gives me a headache, it's like wearing someone glasses in some occasions.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not the only one, this game gave me terrible motion sickness, which sucks because I really like the game. But I too, could only play for 30 minutes at a time. Something about the camera always slightly shaking really got me. It's not Dead Island bad, but it's pretty awful nonetheless.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's probably a fairly narrow FOV. Generally, I find games in third person don't make me feel crappy, but FPS does. The first Borderlands, I had to look away from the screen every ten minutes or so.

Sit further back from your monitor or connect it to a TV. Take frequent breaks.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I didn't have this problem while playing Tomb Raider specifically but motion sickness is definitely something i'm prone to. Mostly because of narrow FOV in shooters. The camera does wobble a lot in this game. That may be why.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m16mojo2
    @counterclockwork87 said:

@ravelle said:

"you don't notice it because you've lived your whole life seeing that way" This is why it makes a lot of people sick. Our eyes have adapted to motion blur IRL, so when a game does it on purpose, our brain doesn't really know how to deal with it because no one single object remains static. Just scrolling down this forum at a fast rate, makes me a bit queazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.