Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's The Division

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 08, 2016

An online-only open-world shooter-RPG from Ubisoft Massive set in a chaotic New York City that is wrought by disease.

Would you buy The Division 2? Early Assessements

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

While, I wish there was a bit more for a solo player to do in teh current game, I have to admit the co-op game and a multiplayer game Ubi has put out is solid. It might be a bit unremarkable unless you get off on a realistic post apocalypse world -I find this sort of trashed reality 'post apocalypse' far preferable to anything else, but that is me. So I'm actually somewhat more pumped for the DLC now, than I had been a month age. I see that I do have a crew of friends playing, thus playing more co-op is possible for me.

Yet, I can easily see that this game will have its run for a standard 6-12 months, since its not meant to be a constantly evolving off a single root game like an MMO/RPG. This is actually preferable as a path since I think The Division 2 could fix some of the 'rough edges' if given another followed up by a squeal in two years. They fucked up Watch_Dog for sure, and i think teh last two main line Assassins Creed games have been more mediocre than normal...but The Divisions -as weird as it is seems- does have 'something'.

Anyone else feeling that Ubisoft has hit somewhat of a good note on this first game; at least enough to make a series for next gen?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, they'll definitely make a sequel, it sold really well and it's Ubisoft. But I don't think I'll buy that one either.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Only if it's called The Division 2: The Multiplication

Not enough use of colons. How about The Division 2 : Long Division : The Elementary Nighmare

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea of a Division sequel being called either Long Division or Multiplication.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've not got to any endgame content yet, but I'd definitely consider it. They'd have to offer some refinements on the structure of the game though, I think for me to be really keen to get it, in particular I would really like for the dark zone to have more stuff to do, if that makes sense. Even just super tough versions of the sort of filler that's in the rest of the world would really improve that experience for me. On the other hand, I think that I would way rather have the "side missions" and encounters be rolled into some more larger missions. The story is so trivial that I don't really find the distinction that meaningful - some of the side content almost feels more important from a story-perspective - but it breaks the illusion a bit that I get the same sound clip every time I do one of those water mains missions. Just make one of those that is a slightly larger mission.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably yes. I've played this game a bunch and there's a few things they could certainly improve upon. The core ideas and basic mechanics are brilliant. With just a few tweeks they could make an amazing sequel.

The dark zone, for example, is a great concept and I had fun gathering loot and going rogue in the beta and final game. In practice though, when you get 2-3 hours into the end game the dark zone becomes a loop through the lvl 31 region because you get the best loot there and it's way easier than the lvl 32 region which doesn't actually get you any better rewards (baffling, I know). 1/3 of the space and no one goes rogue there ever because the punishment for dying as a rogue is extremely harsh and the reward non existent. Like sure, you might get a bag full of purple gear from killing someone but your pack is already full of that stuff anyway so how are you even going to extract it? You can get the same rewards by killing someone or by running around for 10 minutes killing NPCs. The more I think about it, the more it's clear the end game dark zone has so much wasted potential. I really hope this free May dark zone update fixes some of these issues.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

Hopefully they have bigger more noticeable glowing secret society wristwatches this time.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yeah, for sure

i think the division is a good video game

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only lvl 16 / rank 15 but currently i would say yes!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Hopefully they have bigger more noticeable glowing secret society wristwatches this time.

I want little holograms to pop out of the glowy watch. Like images of the people giving me my missions or even my friends when I'm looking at the group menu. I mean the game already has magic healing boxes, so why not?

Anyway, I would probably buy it. Liking The Division so much actually has me even more excited to see what becomes of Ghost Recon: Wildlands, although I'm afraid it may be pushed back to 2017. Maybe we'll learn more at E3.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@takayamasama said:

Not enough use of colons. How about The Division 2 : Long Division : The Elementary Nighmare

Can the DLC be titled The Addition?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I definitely remembered back to Assassins Creed 1 and chatting down the pub about that game when playing this.

As you say, they've got something here. This engine should be solid for a new game on the current consoles in 2-3 years (which will be able to stretch to 4K and some higher detail on PC - possibly slightly expanding how detailed and numerous the interiors are to make a denser and bigger space without making it significantly further to walk from end to end), the way they've been able to build out a city with the internal and external paths to such a degree is pretty impressive. Just as that first AC game wowed players but was a Marmite game for critics with a huge range of scores in big publications (even more unusual for a AAA title back then compared to today), I think this one really solidifies a city in a way none of the AC titles have managed (and those games have gone as far as breaking their engine trying to make that happen).

But it also has the same weakness as the first AC game: lots of missions are copy pasted, the range of play is not flagged sufficiently (at no point does the game even try to show people how to explore the full range of weapons and skills and combos to see what the game can do - think Bioshock and "why would anyone not just electric then wrench" issue of people gravitating to the first thing they found that works when not forced to experiment - the loot system does not sufficiently force players into exploring new weapons and styles by making them too enticing and much of the mission design is open to players choosing a way to progress rather than making sections which teach one way of playing to add that to the toolbox - gamers may have "forced stealth" sections but that's teaching how stealth works and making sure players get it before giving them an open sandbox where they can choose to deploy it further).

Oh, and the narrative is both highly uneven and more about building out a world than telling a story. That's not exactly identical to AC1 but I think about how AC2 took everything up a notch including the story and think about how the Division 2 could come along and really be universally praised. They fix the side-missions and stuff to be less of a copy paste, build out a story that holds the game through the 20-60 hours of play (maybe build out the RPG dialogue system rather than using a mute protagonist; maybe mix in some narrative to the online portions; add in some co-operative only online options to the other areas so there is still a DZ PvP opt-in but you can meet people at some times in some areas of the rest of the world - narratively you craft times when you're doing something isolated and the game doesn't match in other players and times when you're doing something where the story expects you to walk into other Agents, possibly doing other things), move it to a new location to explore another facet of the end of the world as it unravels (I really like the parallels with the atmosphere of the Last of Us, but no zombie analogue, in the Division so a sequel to me would also need to import that somewhat deserted horror of a city that used to be alive and is now barely a town's worth of survivors who didn't manage to get out and aren't dead... yet).

There aren't a lot of RPGs set in modern times. I guess they'll be going head to head with Cyberpunk 2077 for the next game but that's future-stuff (so more Deus Ex competition - only CDP Red so potentially an open world city like the Division) so that's far less about how the Division places guns and abilities into the world. I guess you'd point to Alpha Protocol as how they could push out the narrative focus on the game beyond it being an action RPG loot grinder.

There's a lot of ways to go with a sequel and I'm really excited to see if they can pull off an AC1 to AC2 type of jump to really bring everything together. Right now they have to see how they can build out the game to be more than it currently is (exploring the online systems) and work out what does and doesn't work beyond the narrative block (otherwise what was the point of the focus on online and a year of DLC plans). Really hope Ubi make a big push for the next game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The things i would add.

- What I'd want is more variety in the gang member models members, more women for sure. But why not have teh guy that come with swing bats sometime some with tire irons, axes, 2x4, etc. Just more variety in dress, weapons, manner, and voices. Also, add like a "Manhattan Gang" that is men in suits and women with Prada bags...there needs to be a gang of rich people with designer backpacks and very pricey guns.

- You own room in the Home Base that has its own upgrade path. You start with a cot and a water basin for washing. As you earn upgrades in Health, Security, Tech your room gets cleaner and has more furniture. But, you also fill up shelves with personal items and collectibles.

- Locally made weapons., cobbled together guns, zip-guns that some person has made because they couldn't find a real gun. These guns might have 'personality' and the ower carved a crazy game on it like "The Ex-Wife". You can use these weapons, but there is also a room in the Home Base to display them, maybe make is so that they CAN'T Be broken down so you don't do it accidentally.

- Other weird collectibles, like a Bio-Hazmat suit made of Plastic Wrap, Coat Hangers, and Duct tape. These weird artifacts that are around the world that have real personality. For me, the most moving stuff in the game are the recordings/holos of kids. Maybe, have video diaries that you find from kids that you put on a shelf in your room.

- Two New Weapon Types- 1) Bows : Hunting bows, cross bows, etc. 2) Future Weapons: sticky-foam, sonic guns that shoot debilitating sound. Microwave guns.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not unless they did something drastic to make the game more interesting for me to play.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DannyHibiki
    @monkeyking1969 said:

The things i would add.

- What I'd want is more variety in the gang member models members, more women for sure. But why not have teh guy that come with swing bats sometime some with tire irons, axes, 2x4, etc. Just more variety in dress, weapons, manner, and voices. Also, add like a "Manhattan Gang" that is men in suits and women with Prada bags...there needs to be a gang of rich people with designer backpacks and very pricey guns.

I love the idea of a super tricked-out socialite gang! Especially if they're treated kinda like the Gold Golems in Dragon Quest, where they're like rare enemy encounters, but once you beat them, you get the HIGHEST GRADE loot.

If a sequel for The Division promised more variety in enemies / items, with a little more dark humor sprinkled in like that, I would definitely buy it.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be interested in it unless I found a group to play with.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By Jinoru

Expand the game to places outside of NYC and you've got a sequel I'd soak right up.

As for gameplay improvements, I'd make cover and mantling a lot more generalized. There are some walls and places that don't work and even with super high walls it might be cool to have gadgets to climb up them, a la Spiderman or whatever.

An AI improvement I'd make is with the melee and close quarters enemies make them attack from the flank instead of just making straight bee-lines toward you. Sometimes they're smart and go around but usually they just run up, easy pickings. I'd be more convinced if they'd lie in wait behind cover.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By shivermetimbers

I wrote a review of the game on the site and if they focused on fixing the issues I mentioned in that review, sure! I'd buy a Division 2. Another Division game in a different setting with the same issues? Probably not.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By sickVisionz

I would need to see if they opened up the entire game to have DZ style PvE and random people running around. On top of that I'd want to see how some of the systems evolve over the course of the first game's life and what they're talking about for the sequel.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eventually, sure I'd buy it. The game is ok to good. Would I buy it day one again? No, I think $30-$40 is the right price for this level of experience. I'll wait on the Divison 2 till the price is right.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I'm really paranoid and often wonder if threads like these are created by the Ubisoft PR team.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I can't really decide that yet, but from what I've played... Yes? I personally hope they try to make the solo experience even better. For a game such as this (online focused and all that), I think it's a really good game solo; at least I have really enjoyed the 50 hours I put in. I would want better, more variance in the side content, because it does become repetitive, and an even more interesting story (which, I think is pretty okay for again, a game like this). The thing that keeps me going in it is the main missions, the well detailed New York setting, the soundtrack which I think is superb, and just the gameplay. I really enjoy playing it. Something that I also hope for is an offline mode, because for me, the always online is a bummer. I would be playing it right now; in fact I could have finished it over the weekend I'm sure if it had been offline. The game on Saturday morning stopped working for me properly, and now I am somewhat convinced it's on their side. I've reset/restarted the router multiple times since, all in different ways; tested the PS4 and my PC's connection (I have the game on the One) to see if they were running slower there, and nope, they seem fine. If the game opened up to all play like the Dark Zone, then no, my answer is already no. I'll jump into the Dark Zone area after I complete the main/side missions, and collect all collectibles, but playing the PvP portion isn't what I want out of the game, and luckily, the game is enjoyable without that side to me. If they did do that, but also put in offline mode, then yes I would.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I paid 48 dollars for this one and would pay that again for another so sure, anything I can get 60+ hours out of is worth it to me.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badseed said:
    @monkeyking1969 said:
    @takayamasama said:

Can the DLC be titled The Addition?

Clearly there needs to be a prequel, Division by 0

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down. Larger and new areas, better/new loot, more story.... It's a bit rough around the edges in some spots and needs some more content and some tweaks but they've got something really special here. I'm pretty excited for what the DLC/Expansions are going to look like.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a heartbeat. The Division was a great first step and I would love to see what they would do with a sequel in a new city with hopefully crazier weapons/skills and mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.