Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's The Division

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 08, 2016

An online-only open-world shooter-RPG from Ubisoft Massive set in a chaotic New York City that is wrought by disease.

Time To Buy The Division?

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By betterley

I see The Division is on sale right now, and I'm interested in the new "Survival Mode."

Is it a good time to buy this game, what does everyone think?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I've heard good things about it from people I play Destiny with. They all say that it's a pretty good time for when Destiny has no new content. They also all say it's inferior to Destiny in almost every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been playing it a bit again after having played to max level and a bit beyond near when it came out. I'd say it's the best it's ever been. And I very much enjoyed it earlier in the year. Survival mode is also very cool.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Survival Mode is DLC, so you would have to pay more than just the base price to play that.

I enjoyed the game on launch.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@betterley: Vanilla Division was pretty fun for what it was and provided a lot of gameplay for your buck. I imagine with all the updates and changes they've rolled out for it, at a discount price, it's probably more than worth it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The game was pretty rough for a while there but it's pretty good now. The DZ is still a little screwy but the PvE elements are great. I'd give it a try with the Underground and Survival DLC, and if you've played before I think it's worth coming back to.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just had steam issue me a refund. I'm just gonna re-buy it for ps4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is fantastic but had a couple updates that really really made it sloppy. They HAVE fixed it plus the Underground and Survival DLC is awesome. If you haven't picked it up yet, there literally is no better time to start playing it. The fact that people are playing it at all anymore is amazing but the game is worth playing, absolutely.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the fence before,but for $10 I jumped on it. I liked what I played during the beta so why not.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

So, as someone that is not at all into online games, I didn't touch that side of the game once in The Division in the 50 plus hours I played of it, and honestly, though the game doesn't have the best story (but is quite decent for this type of game I think), and has some other issues, it is actually one of my favorite games of the year. The game just plays really well I think, has one of the best soundtracks of the year, and arguably the best setting. It was just a lot of fun to me, and one of the most memorable from this year which I will look back on fondly. That said, half way through, by covering everything on half the map, I did get tired of it and just wanted to move on, but I was still enjoying it. I think I wanted to play other, newer games by that time, which was a reason. The side stuff could be a whole lot better simply because they are repetitive, and though I enjoyed the main missions most, the story itself could be even better, with more interesting characters. I didn't get any of the DLC though. I can't really help you if you're looking into it for the online side of it, nor the survival aspect. I can just say, as someone that likes singular play style games, this was a totally acceptable experience to me. It doesn't really even need to be always online, which is kind of unfortunate to me. They should have just made it go online when you go into the Dark Zone, even though it wouldn't be seamless.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Blackout62

Now is the time to buy The Division.

Well actually, the time was months ago when I picked up a physical copy of the gold edition for less than the barebones version was on Steam but Amazon can be weird sometimes.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How bad is the "bullet-spongey-ness" of the game? If I go into expecting RPG mechanics is it really as bad as the complaints I've read online?
    Also, is the RPG aspect disregarded while you're in the Dark Zone, or playing Survival Mode?

ali_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By ali_d

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying the Division at half price in the Steam sale. How is the season pass content? Is it a game that you can play solo or do you need some co-op help?

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went back to play the Division recently, and I just don't find it enjoyable. The controls don't feel fluid to me, and too often I find myself almost stumbling over what I want the character to do.

Not a bad game by any means, just a bit grindy without the same feeling of advancement I would find that I am looking for.

Would love the Destiny FPS and controls in that New York environment, with maybe a bit more Borerlands style loot in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

You can solo for a good 30 hour RPG of content in it. You'll miss out on the tension of the Dark Zone but the overworld and missions (dungeons) are totally solo friendly.

Focus on DMRs if you want to get away from the RPG-heavy mechanics (you can 1-shot kill most NPCs in the solo game if you make sure to keep a good rifle with you and aim for the head - only really bosses in the solo mode require significantly more shots to take down). If you're happy to play a cover shooter with lots of RPG mechanics then you're freer to pick any weapon types.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How bad is the "bullet-spongey-ness" of the game? If I go into expecting RPG mechanics is it really as bad as the complaints I've read online?

Also, is the RPG aspect disregarded while you're in the Dark Zone, or playing Survival Mode?

The game is essentially a Diablo-style loot grinder. Kill dudes, get loot, kill more dudes, level up, get better loot, and so on. The Dark Zone is the same concept except other players can go rouge and kill you and steal your loot (the loot you've collected and haven't extracted in the DZ, not the stuff in your inventory). The RPG elements are pretty light. It's more of an action shooter with loot. The enemies can be bullet-spongey, especially the Elite enemies with armor, but it's not too bad. Once you get some decent gear you can chew through them pretty fast.

@ali_d said:

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying the Division at half price in the Steam sale. How is the season pass content? Is it a game that you can play solo or do you need some co-op help?

You can solo it if you want but the game is really designed for 2-4 players. The online community (whats left of it) is pretty decent and I had no problems joining up with randoms and getting things done. After about 100+ hours of play since the BETA I think I've only run in to one jerk online but everyone else was fine didn't cause any trouble.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I picked it up and so far I'm really enjoying it.

I've only played for an hour or so, but the shooting feels really nice.

Any other PC players out there feel free to add me on Steam. My ID is, blind8l

Also, how do I actually play Survival mode?

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up vanilla version for Xbox One from the sales. So far I've played two missions with a friend and just roamed around randomly. The game feels much better than I expected although I've only played for 3-4 hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.