Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Polynomial: Space of the Music

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 15, 2010

Polynomial is a 3D shooter that takes place in space, and it features mathematically generated scenery in the style of fractal art which are set to music or mic input.

It's like Rez if it wasn't on rails...

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

... only far, far more beautiful - evokes the imagery Child of Eden seems to be going for, at least for me.  

I just played it for an hour straight, curtains drawn, headphones in, and am not sure quite what to make of it. As a game, I don't think it'd ever hold up, even to Rez, but as an experience, well, it sure is something. 

Anyone else care to share their experiences with this? Also, any good music ideas? Half my library of songs just seems wildly inappropriate and I feel like I should just be putting on Philip Glass ad nauseum and nothing else.

pansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pansen

i also like 

Rez

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I need some music for this, Philip glass is a good call. I think I might just record a load of videos of Carl Sagan talking and put that on.

I agree with you, the game that is there is forgettable, but it's awesome just to fly around. 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vitor
    @zudthespud said:

" I need some music for this, Philip glass is a good call. I think I might just record a load of videos of Carl Sagan talking and put that on. I agree with you, the game that is there is forgettable, but it's awesome just to fly around.  "

The soundtrack that it comes with is a little bit lacking for me but I'm having such a hard time finding anything else it might go with - NIN's more minimalist stuff maybe? Who knows. 

Really enjoying the 'game' - even if I can hardly play it for long stretches. 
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By 1p

I was also reminded of Child of Eden.

I put this game on my 98" projection screen and i think it melted my eyeballs - holy fuck that shit looks amazing!

I'll wait for a new PC before i play again though, because i get like 20 fps on this 2006 PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Bib said:
    "

I put this game on my 98" projection screen and i think it melted my eyeballs - holy fuck that shit looks amazing!

I'll wait for a new PC before i play again though, because i get like 20 fps on this 2006 PC.

"
    98" polynomial? DO WANT.  

The one  thing I really want to be able to do in this game is to increase the FOV, I never feel like I can see all of the things I want to unless I'm far away.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @zudthespud said:
    " @Bib said:
    "

"
    98" polynomial? DO WANT.   The one  thing I really want to be able to do in this game is to increase the FOV, I never feel like I can see all of the things I want to unless I'm far away. "
    Same - must have looked utterly gorgeous with the HUD off. 

Also, 98", seriously? Not a typo? Do you own a cinema? :-|
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By 1p
    @Vitor:
    Yeah, it's a home cinema type setup. Not too big compared to others.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

After watching the QL, it doesn't look like it really shares anything with Rez at all.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
    @HandsomeDead: The abstract techno visuals and environment pulsating to the speed of the music along with the general space shooter gameplay drew pretty strong parallels for me. 

I think if you place both games side by side and showed the average joe, they'd most likely jump to the same conclusion. Gameplay is almost entirely different but, at least on the surface, it seems pretty comparable to me
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Holy shit, thanks for making this thread. I completely missed the QL and I'll try anything remotely close to Rez.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.