Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 13, 2009

A multiplayer action game developed by Pandemic Studios set in the Lord of the Rings universe.

is it really that bad?

Voldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Voldy

It's having harsh things said about it, the reviews are terrible and the general consensus is that it's not great. I enjoyed SW:BF I & II so I'm still thinking I may enjoy it somewhat.

Who has it? Yay or nay?

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xiemos2

I'm waiting for it to arrive from Gamefly. I've had a lot of fun with the demo online. You try that out yet?

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ieatlions

its average run of the mill online game
    if you like lotro and battlefront u might want 2 pick this up but i suggest a rent first

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Jayge_

If you are a Battlefront or LOTR fan, you'll be heavily disappointed on both fronts.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422
    Jayge said:
    "If you are a Battlefront or LOTR fan, you'll be heavily disappointed on both fronts."
    That's probably true for sure. It's an average game that I would say has some fun to be had, just not in the MP at all because of balance issues plus ricidulous lag....and coming from playing Battlefront, its just totally inferior.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

I've been playing multiplayer all day with friends, it's fun for me.  The crap reviews are of the singleplayer, which is basically go here do this, kill a lot of dudes.  I like messing around with these kinds of games, so it's all fun for me, but it's nothing amazing. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

I had fun playing the demo, but I definatly made up my mind that I'm not going to buy it.  It feels really unpolished and a lot like Mercenaries 2.  (which I guess I should have expected since they are both made by Pandemic)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have a feeling that a lot of the people who are enjoying this game are forcing themselves to do so.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icil
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I have a feeling that a lot of the people who are enjoying this game are forcing themselves to do so."
    Or perhaps they aren't so picky? I've got this on Gamefly, and I think I'll enjoy this game's multiplayer just because of its freshness. Fantasy-setting action hasn't received a popular multiplayer game yet, and I think that's what draws me in.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gizmo
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I have a feeling that a lot of the people who are enjoying this game are forcing themselves to do so."
    Exactly, and they are trying to justify their new purchase by becoming "insta-fanboys".
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Icil said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Or perhaps they aren't so picky? I've got this on Gamefly, and I think I'll enjoy this game's multiplayer just because of its freshness. Fantasy-setting action hasn't received a popular multiplayer game yet, and I think that's what draws me in."
    freshness ?

dude let me break this down for you in no way is this game fresh

its like dynasty warriors and battle front combined with LoTRs skins.....
    Ruukie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ruukie

Game is selling out like crazy though I work in retail and i know several different stores in the uk have already sold out of it so dont know whats going on good marketing maybe?
    Or if you slap lord of the rings onto a box it'll sell

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icil
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Icil said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Or perhaps they aren't so picky? I've got this on Gamefly, and I think I'll enjoy this game's multiplayer just because of its freshness. Fantasy-setting action hasn't received a popular multiplayer game yet, and I think that's what draws me in."
    freshness ?

dude let me break this down for you in no way is this game fresh

its like dynasty warriors and battle front combined with LoTRs skins.....
    "
    I can describe any game with two other games being combined with a third movie's skins.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By EpicSteve

The game doesn't really have any redeemable qualities to it. Its a bad representation on what battlefront is, and kinda makes that whole formula seem dated. The mechanics are super clunky, and you often feel like your character doesn't respond in the way in which you wanted them to. The difficulty is also kinda weird, it was too often I felt the game was being super unfair and failing a specific part three times in a row, only to conquer it on a forth try without encountering any difficulty, also while not really changing my strategy. The whole game has just too many weird moments, and feels hella artificial in every way.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain_Fookup

What a waste of money, I beat both campaigns in under four hours. Rent this instead and spend the rest of money on a sizable bag of greenery.

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rerty

It's the same game as battlefront with swords and bows instead of guns and light sabers. It's good fun if you liked battlefront at all. Don't listen to the tools on this forum.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Death_Burnout
    Voldy said:
    "It's having harsh things said about it, the reviews are terrible and the general consensus is that it's not great. I enjoyed SW:BF I & II so I'm still thinking I may enjoy it somewhat.

Who has it? Yay or nay?"
    I don't have it, never will, because yes, it really is that bad.

Especially for someone like me who wants a Lord of the Rings game, not some terrible reconstruction.

"YOUR POISON ARROWS ARE POWERFUL. USE THEM!"
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

Meh. Buggy, annoying and hasn't gotten up to the standard of most older games from maybe even the PS2 era.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pirate_republic

I'm not buying it because the only class that's fun to play is the archer.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gizmo

Keep your money and get F.E.A.R 2.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

It is great. it just feels as if it was rushed by EA, so it feels like a beta.

God, I hate EA. Peter Molyneux used to work for EA you know? He quit because he kept being rushed  (and we all know that he is the delaying type).

Avatar image for crazymexicancarpi
    crazymexicancarpi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont have the game but im going to. I enjoyd what the demo has to offer and the Multiplay videos i have seen looked really fun. 

My advice is to get the game but to wait until you see it for about £30 or less. 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By breadfan

I bought it last night and played through both campaigns in about two hours total.  For the most part I enjoyed the game, aside from the totally made up stuff they added to the LotR fantasy.  Trust me, once you start playing the campaigns you will be wondering what the developers were on when they came up with some of their ideas.  Overall though, I like the game and the online is pretty fun.  If your a big LotR fan then you will find something to like, but I cannot really recommend it for someone who is not

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    Death_Burnout said:
    "Voldy said:
    "It's having harsh things said about it, the reviews are terrible and the general consensus is that it's not great. I enjoyed SW:BF I & II so I'm still thinking I may enjoy it somewhat.

Who has it? Yay or nay?"

Especially for someone like me who wants a Lord of the Rings game, not some terrible reconstruction.

"
    If you want a LOTR game that badly, I suggest the MMO.  I'm not sure if you are into MMO's but Lord of the Rings Online is a great game for a fan of the books.

I'd also like to know if you've never had it, and never will -- how can you say how bad it is? 
    Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    Out_On_Bail said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "Voldy said:

Who has it? Yay or nay?"

"
    If you want a LOTR game that badly, I suggest the MMO.  I'm not sure if you are into MMO's but Lord of the Rings Online is a great game for a fan of the books.

I'd also like to know if you've never had it, and never will -- how can you say how bad it is? "
    More than likely, he played the demo.

This game is terrible btw, don't support this kind of garbage.
    CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By CreamyGoodness

if your on the 360 try the demo first. i tried it, it's definately a rent not a buy. It has some enjoyable parts but they are few and far between. but if you do get it make sure you play as a scout online. they totaly wreck

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    Crayola said:
    "Out_On_Bail said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "Voldy said:

Who has it? Yay or nay?"

"

I'd also like to know if you've never had it, and never will -- how can you say how bad it is? "
    More than likely, he played the demo.

This game is terrible btw, don't support this kind of garbage."
    All the same, is it safe to judge an entire game from a demo?  I'm not arguing that the game may not be good, or that it's not what a lot of people expected or wanted -- but playing a demo doesn't give anyone a full grasp of what the full game is.  It's a demo, and a lot of the times demos are rushed out and barely worked on. 
    Like I said, I'm not even arguing about this particular game, my point is unless you've played the full game you really shouldn't comment on it, unless you state your commenting on the demo version.
    Would you read reviews from Giantbomb if all they ever played was the demo version?  So what changes here?
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The demo for the game sums up the whole game. I'm a big fan of LOTR books and movies, and the only entertaining portion of the game was when I was in the shire killing hobbits for about an hour getting the achievements for all the classes. Eventually spawning as Balrog and smashing them to death. The game was clearly rushed and the demo shows it, which is a damn shame because Pandemic's previous games before being purchased by EA were great. This game and Mercenaries 2 are sloppy and there should be no excuse for it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Snail
    Out_On_Bail said:
    "Death_Burnout said:
    "Voldy said:

Who has it? Yay or nay?"

"

Not a fan of MMO's either, but I support LOTRO (The Lord of the rings Online)!
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By End_Boss
    Ruukie said:
    "if you slap lord of the rings onto a box it'll sell"
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
    End_Boss said:
    "Ruukie said:
    "if you slap lord of the rings onto a box it'll sell tothe lowest society has to offer"
    "
    BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BananaHammock

my brother is really liking it alot. he was a big battlefront fan and likes lotr. i myself wouldnt pay a dollar for it but thats just me.

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheBigBeefy

The gameplay videos I see don't look so bad. I think people are being too hard on this game because it's not as good as other similar games of it's genre.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By prinny_god

I liked it but I like dynasty warriors games so there's that

Avatar image for perrytheusnavysailor
    perrytheusnavysailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seeing I HATE lord of the rings soooo much but loved and will forever love battlefront... and that it was made by the same people who make it... I bought this.... and as long as you stay on instant action and don't think about it... this game will kill time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.