Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Zelda Timeline Introduction

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By siddarth0605

Hey guys I just finished my finals and I am really looking forward to my long weekend before my next term starts. As promised I am going to be giving my own theory on the long disputed Zelda timeline. Now the way I’m going to do this is that I am going to introduce 3 to 4 games at a time over the next few days. This way I can give as much information about each game and why it belongs where it does and still be able to go out and enjoy my well deserved break. Before I start though there are a few things I want to point out:

-First off this is my theory. This is not absolute. So whatever comments you make are more than welcome but don’t go blatantly dismissing my theory as shit because all that does is waste comment space.

-When making this timeline I tried to introduce as many elements from each game as possible including things such as the location of the Triforce, the status of Ganondorf at the end of the game, the layout of Hyrule, etc.

-There are some aspects of the timeline that have been confirmed by Nintendo and are pretty much set in stone. One of them is the idea of a split timeline. This was pretty much confirmed by the developers to have occurred during the Ocarina of Time. Also Zelda II is a direct sequel of Zelda I, Majora’s mask is a direct sequel to the child timeline of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess is a sequel to Ocarina of Time taking place 100 years later in the child timeline and Wind Waker is taking place 100 years later in the adult timeline. Also Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel of Wind Waker. These games and their sequels are thought of as story arcs and while their relationship to each other is sturdy it’s the connection between these arcs that is up for debate.

-There are 14 Zelda games that I am including in this timeline (Zelda I, II, A Link to the Past,  Link’s Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass). The rest I consider to be non-canonical. Now of these games I have yet to play Link’s Awakening, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures so my placement of these games is based on whatever information I could gather. If I find out new information or if I get around to playing these games then I will update my timeline appropriately if need be.

Aside from that enjoy my timeline and please feel free to give me as much feedback as possible. Tune in tomorrow for the following:

Minish Cap, Four Swords, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass

siddarth0605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By siddarth0605

Hey guys I just finished my finals and I am really looking forward to my long weekend before my next term starts. As promised I am going to be giving my own theory on the long disputed Zelda timeline. Now the way I’m going to do this is that I am going to introduce 3 to 4 games at a time over the next few days. This way I can give as much information about each game and why it belongs where it does and still be able to go out and enjoy my well deserved break. Before I start though there are a few things I want to point out:

-First off this is my theory. This is not absolute. So whatever comments you make are more than welcome but don’t go blatantly dismissing my theory as shit because all that does is waste comment space.

-When making this timeline I tried to introduce as many elements from each game as possible including things such as the location of the Triforce, the status of Ganondorf at the end of the game, the layout of Hyrule, etc.

-There are some aspects of the timeline that have been confirmed by Nintendo and are pretty much set in stone. One of them is the idea of a split timeline. This was pretty much confirmed by the developers to have occurred during the Ocarina of Time. Also Zelda II is a direct sequel of Zelda I, Majora’s mask is a direct sequel to the child timeline of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess is a sequel to Ocarina of Time taking place 100 years later in the child timeline and Wind Waker is taking place 100 years later in the adult timeline. Also Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel of Wind Waker. These games and their sequels are thought of as story arcs and while their relationship to each other is sturdy it’s the connection between these arcs that is up for debate.

-There are 14 Zelda games that I am including in this timeline (Zelda I, II, A Link to the Past,  Link’s Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass). The rest I consider to be non-canonical. Now of these games I have yet to play Link’s Awakening, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures so my placement of these games is based on whatever information I could gather. If I find out new information or if I get around to playing these games then I will update my timeline appropriately if need be.

Aside from that enjoy my timeline and please feel free to give me as much feedback as possible. Tune in tomorrow for the following:

Minish Cap, Four Swords, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.