Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls

Franchise »

The Elder Scrolls is a long-running franchise of role-playing games made by Bethesda Softworks. The series is known for offering much freedom to the player and many choices of how to play.

Elder Scrolls "Oz"?

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By neoepoch

Does anyone else find it odd, that in almost every TES game (with the exception of Daggerfall), you start off as some prisoner off to save the world? I mean thinking back on it Arena, Morrowind, and Oblivion had you as a prisoner, and with Skyrim starting you off as a prisoner about to be executed, it had me wondering if Bethesda has some type of...prison fantasy or something. I guess it is a way for your character to be a "blank slate". Except for, you know, being an apparent criminal.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its the sense of going from nothing to hero of the world. 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By beforet

I think it's more of a tradition thing at this point. Every core game (can't speak for the spin-offs) but Daggerfall has started this way, might as well continue the trend. Gives them a good excuse not have any backstory for your character ready, too.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Aronman789
    @Beforet said:

I think it's more of a tradition thing at this point. Every core game (can't speak for the spin-offs) but Daggerfall has started this way, might as well continue the trend. Gives them a good excuse not have any backstory for your character ready, too.

Especially since everyone that knows what you did usually is never seen again (Morrowind) or dies (Oblivion)
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's just their way of making you a someone from a no one which is what the series is generally about. You and creating your mark in this digital space. 

Also, under legal jurisdiction, Australians can torch your house with a BBQ grill for the thread title. 

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By neoepoch

I mean I know it is just a way of presenting a blank slate and making you a nobody who became a somebody. I just find it an odd "tradition" to keep up.

@eroticfishcake said:

Also, under legal jurisdiction, Australians can torch your house with a BBQ grill for the thread title. 
    I was hoping for some type of Wizard of Oz joke, but that works too.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @neoepoch said:
    I mean I know it is just a way of presenting a blank slate and making you a nobody who became a somebody. I just find it an odd "tradition" to keep up.
    Well it's either that or you can do it Fallout 3 style where you're literally come out of the womb and play through the tutorial under the guise of growing up. Do you want too see an Orc give birth? Do you?! Though now that I think about it, hatching from an egg as an Argonian sounds kinda interesting.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    I had to do it. 
    I had to do it. 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hatking
    @eroticfishcake said:
    @neoepoch said:
    Well it's either that or you can do it Fallout 3 style where you're literally come out of the womb and play through the tutorial under the guise of growing up. Do you want too see an Orc give birth? Do you?! Though now that I think about it, hatching from an egg as an Argonian sounds kinda interesting.
    Dude! Yes! I would love to do that style of starting game.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BaneFireLord

It's TRADISHUN, dammit!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.