Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Television

Object » linked to 508 games

A television set is a device used to view moving images usually accompanied by sound. They often appear in video games and scenery but sometimes have more practical applications.

Buying a New TV. Advice and Recommendations Please?

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

I'm hoping the GB community can help me out here.  I'm getting a new tv this year (somewhere between October and November) and I'm not sure what televisions are good and which are not.  I've NEVER purchased a tv.  I've had two tvs my entire life: a 19" Hitachi from the early 90's or late 80's and a 27" given to me by my sister from 1999 (can't remember the brand).  So yeah, I don't really know much about what I'm looking at.  Here's what I'm looking for in a new TV:

• Budget: $550 ($600 max)
    • Size:  32" - 42"
    • Resolution:  1080p
    • Connections:  (must have) HDMI, Composite (next few would be nice) Multiple HDMI, Multiple Composite, DVI, Multiple DVI

In case this influences any advice and recommendations you have, this is what I plan to do with it:
    • Xbox 360 hooked up via HDMI
    • I have a Wii, PS2, and DVD player that are all composite hookups.  Currently using an A/V switch to change inputs on my current TV.
    • Will eventually upgrade to a Blu-Ray player (which may or may not be a PS3)
    • Will eventually upgrade to a 5.1 Surround Sound system.
    • Watches lots of Netflix (I hear some TVs have internet capability in them?)
    • Does not ever plan to hook the tv up to cable or satellite (netflix/hulu plan for me!)
    •  I'm not too great at messing with the settings to get a good picture; I almost always use the presets.

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations :)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I usually have one recommendation, a sony bravia 120hz, add another $50 it's worth it. It has the best 120Hz, it's trippy looking when you watch blue ray, looks like your right there because they don't move like film, rather they move like realistically like real life. I'll even teach you how to calibrate it properly. There aren't that many composite switches, however you can just change your wii, ps3 using a component cable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+BRAVIA+32%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9761147.p?id=1218168617254&skuId=9761147    
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm necroing this thread for my own nefarious TV purchasing questions. Here's the one I'm thinking about buying, It's an LG 42 inch LED, for a shade under $400. Is that a reasonably good TV for gaming? I've got a 360, PS3, Wii, PS2, and a satellite box I'd like to hook up to it (probably with an HDMI splitter thingie). Have you found any better TVs for a cheaper price with the Super Bowl coming up? Any other tips or advice you might have would be appreciated. This will be my first HDTV.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm putting this comment here so that I can easily find this later when I get my tax return in the coming weeks and finally upgrade my fucking relic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.