Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

Idea - A new PC exclusive System Shock (please read further)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

Personally, I am not an avid PC gamer. I own a few Maxis simulation games, Diablo, the Orange Box, and System Shock 2 for my PC gaming pleasures (I once played WoW, but that is over). While I loved BioShock, it left me wanting more. System Shock 2 was incredibly deep, and much of what gave it depth and challenge was cut for BioShock to make it more console friendly. BioShock game you an unlimited inventory, items were abundant, and all character growth was made as simple as possible. While I don't mind them changing thing to make the process easier, I felt that the game was dumbed down.
    What can happen to change this? Really, it is hard for me to imagine System Shock 2 being played with a controller. There were simply to many things, and it would too complext and frustrating without a mouse. However, I would die to see System Shock 2 given a proper sequel, expanded upon and improved in every way. I thnk the only viable option would be a PC - exclusive sequel, and personally, I'd upgrade only to experience it. Who is with me?

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Johnny5

Meh, good ideas are everywhere and "make a sequel!" not that creative. Although who wouldnt kill for a sequel! I'd kill everyone in this room...

Other sequels im waiting on... Deus Ex which is apparently already in progress. Which is also a PC game that was dumbed down... so I feel you. They dumbed down the character augmentation where it almost didnt exist anymore.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By thebeast

In this generation of 'console gamers' where everything has to be dumbed down to be played with two thumbs by the average console owner we really don't see enough games that actually have significant depth to them, I miss things like System Shock and Deus Ex - and I do think the only way these could be revitalised in to something as in-depth and as interesting as the originals is to make it a PC exclusive.
    This won't happen for a couple of reasons:

• Why would you make a PC exclusive when you can multiply your profits many times by releasing them on a selection of consoles?
    • There's no company with lots of money that cares about PC gaming succeeding. Sony will pay much much monies to get games exclusive to their system, and the same with Microsoft - to make their investments (consoles) succeed, they need to invest further. Why should they care about a PC when everyone has one anyway? Microsoft is making progress with their Games for Windows initiative, but it's not very well supported.
    Still, in my eyes, the PC is still the superior platform - and when we start seeing PC performance exceed that of the current generation consoles at a similar price (something that will no doubt happen over the next couple of years) - people will see why this is.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Johnny5

No pc company except for the all massive exception of blizzard. Also really any company that makes an RTS. Also I dont think it will ever die because we're becoming more and more dependant on our PCs and more and more people are getting their own PCs. With such a big audience who already have a platform and could use some time filler it'll probably never die.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG
    Johnny5 said:
    "Meh, good ideas are everywhere and "make a sequel!" not that creative. Although who wouldnt kill for a sequel! I'd kill everyone in this room...

Other sequels im waiting on... Deus Ex which is apparently already in progress. Which is also a PC game that was dumbed down... so I feel you. They dumbed down the character augmentation where it almost didnt exist anymore."
    Ok, it does not HAVE to be a sequel, the idea is a game that wouldn't cut what i loved about System Shock 2.
    And Beast, unfortunately it is true that profits can be inflated with consoles. Also worth noting, those companies like Crytek who were fully invested into the platform now must go other places because of piracy.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Karl_Boss

I am with you 100%.....System Shock 3 would be a dream come true.

jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jok3r

I believe, that will never happen. TheBeast said:

"In this generation of 'console gamers' where everything has to be dumbed down to be played with two thumbs by the average console owner we really don't see enough games that actually have significant depth to them, I miss things like System Shock and Deus Ex - and I do think the only way these could be revitalised in to something as in-depth and as interesting as the originals is to make it a PC exclusive.
    This won't happen for a couple of reasons:
    • Why would you make a PC exclusive when you can multiply your profits many times by releasing them on a selection of consoles?
    • There's no company with lots of money that cares about PC gaming succeeding. Sony will pay much much monies to get games exclusive to their system, and the same with Microsoft - to make their investments (consoles) succeed, they need to invest further. Why should they care about a PC when everyone has one anyway? Microsoft is making progress with their Games for Windows initiative, but it's not very well supported.
    Still, in my eyes, the PC is still the superior platform - and when we start seeing PC performance exceed that of the current generation consoles at a similar price (something that will no doubt happen over the next couple of years) - people will see why this is."
    Yep. He's right. But you have to see that though the PC is the most sofisticated platform, anymore its waaaaaay more expensive to continue to update a PCs components than it is to just buy a new system every 6-8 years. It comes down to the fact that the PC began a loss in momentum during the launch of the PS2, and as developers started making games for the PS2 and Xbox, that took away from games being developed on PC, which made people stop upgrading their PC. It's really a snowball effect and at this point the only major PC exclusive in the past year that i know of and that was really pushed, was Crisis and not many people even played that.

I love the concept of games for Windows. Mainly because I'm an Xbox Live user, I see the potential in bringing together the PC segment of gamers and the 360 audience. It makes a lot of sense for Microsoft to do so, because though they will still own the large majority of computers in the home, the apple brand has picked up a lot of steam in the past few years. I find that I wanted a mac, but now that there are games for windows, I think i'm going to pick up a high powered vista laptop to play games for windows.
    adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By adam_grif

I would rather a SS2 remake than a sequel, although tbh, sequel is obviously still fine.

I just don't want them to bring back SHODAN... again.

That said, I do want SS2 to see next gen treatement. And I don't mean 360/PS3, I mean CryEngine 3, Unreal Engine 4 type stuff.

Feck, they should make AvP3 at the same time. I've been waiting for AvP3 for about 8 years.

Yep. He's right. But you have to see that though the PC is the most sofisticated platform, anymore its waaaaaay more expensive to continue to update a PCs components than it is to just buy a new system every 6-8 years. It comes down to the fact that the PC began a loss in momentum during the launch of the PS2, and as developers started making games for the PS2 and Xbox, that took away from games being developed on PC, which made people stop upgrading their PC. It's really a snowball effect and at this point the only major PC exclusive in the past year that i know of and that was really pushed, was Crisis and not many people even played that.

I love the concept of games for Windows. Mainly because I'm an Xbox Live user, I see the potential in bringing together the PC segment of gamers and the 360 audience. It makes a lot of sense for Microsoft to do so, because though they will still own the large majority of computers in the home, the apple brand has picked up a lot of steam in the past few years. I find that I wanted a mac, but now that there are games for windows, I think i'm going to pick up a high powered vista laptop to play games for windows.
    Actually the PC gaming industry has seen steady growth since 2001, every year. Now, thanks to digital distribution ala Steam, D2D, it's growing even faster. PC is the largest single "platform", although when you combine all consoles together, the "console market" outweighs the PC market substantially. However, PC exclusives cna be as profitable, or more profitable than a 360 or PS3 exclusive game.

That said, developers love having it on PC AND 360 AND PS3. And PS2/PSP/Wii if they can manage. They love money.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By DukeTogo

Necro post, but after playing Dead Space, I can safely say that it's about as close we're going to get to a remake of SS2.  The story and setting are taken almost verbatim from SS2.  Even the different areas of the ship and the Hive Mind plot are there - down to the basketball court.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Ferginator4k
    @Unknown_Pleasures said:
    " I am with you 100%.....System Shock 3 would be a dream come true. "
    Agreed.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DanielJW

God damnit bump a thread and I think BoG is back.  

On topic though I missed out on System Shock, mainly due to ignorance as I wasn't really in to games when I was six. I had a butt load of trouble trying to get it downloaded to my laptop for whatever reason, so a sequel would interest me. I'd like to experience something like it, without jumping through hoops for the old versions.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Why must someone bump a BoG thread? 

This just makes me sad.  =  ( 

I feel like I need to pour a sip for our lost homie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.