Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Stardust Portable

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Dec 04, 2008

A PSP adaptation of the popular PlayStation Network shooter.

Will SSP be judged on it's merits as a game or it's controls?

mrspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrspoon

After spending a couple of hours with Super Stardust Portable, it's obvious Housemarque have put a lot of work in to the game regarding graphics and collision detection, death comes thick and fast from all sides but I haven't found it frustrating or unfair. However,  I wonder how much of a factor the PSP hardware will be when reviews go up.

I did get bouts of cramp for the first 30 mins, but using the face buttons as the second stick (as with Smash TV on the SNES) is not as detrimental as the PSP d-pad was to Tekken: Dark Resurrection (although I do now crave one of those second nub mods.) I was actually more dissapointed at the lack of custom soundtracks as even the trial version has this on PS3, and Wipeout Pulse handled this feature well enough, though with custom firmware you can play mp3's on any PSP game.

One thing which should be pointed out in Housemarque's favour is the fully customisable controls. As well as catering to Lefties (Left Analog=Shoot) the Bomb, Boost, Prev and Next weapon can be mapped to any trigger/d-pad button. Every Developer should allow customisable controls. Sometimes on PS3 shooters there are five choices and not one has R1 as Primary fire.

• Tip: Use trigger R as Next Weapon and d-pad down as Bomb, since the Bomb blast negates the loss of movement for that fraction of a second you moved your thumb, and switching weapons is quicker with R (Prev is redundant .)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.