Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

So, I played the demo...

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

The demo for Sonic Unleashed, that is.

I was blown away!  They only give you one of the daytime levels, so I didn't get to try out any of the supposedly horrible warehog levels.
    But this daytime level is starting to restore my faith in the Sonic series.

For the record, I am somebody who enjoyed Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2. I also found Sonic and the Secret Rings to be pretty good (even though the story sucked), but none of those were even close to being like the original Sonic games.
    None of those had the same amount of speed needed in a Sonic game... but Sonic Unleashed does.

Sonic 2006 tried to bring back speed, but the controls were horrible!  when going insanely fast, you couldn't turn properly, and you'd try to, and you'd end up hitting something and dying, or flying off a cliff.  In sonic unleashed, they fix that entirely through the use of a quick step, activated by the use of the shoulder buttons.  Not only that, but the turning is less sensitive.
    Another thing about Sonic Unleashed that makes it fun is the multiple paths, there are a few multiple paths in the demo level, and while they don't change much, it's nice to have some variety, even if it all leads to the same path.

Overall, Sonic Unleashed is a game that makes me very interested in the next Sonic game, Hoping that they take out all the Warehog crap, and maybe even that stupid new purple character that follows Sonic around.  But even if they put in a bunch of new characters, if they stick to this format of the daytime levels, I'll be VERY interested in the next sonic game!

What do you guys think? Can Sonic make a comeback? Does anybody still care about the little blue hedgehog we al lso fondly remember from the Genesis?

P.S. - My best time on the demo level was 2:34, if anybody is curious.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

What system?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

Doesn't matter because its a Sonic game that includes a fucking werehog transformation, another failure, 1/5,

really all that was needed there is that "its a sonic game" I guess though.

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Shadow2K6

Its alright for a 3D sonic.  Definitely a lot better then Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, etc. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

It is better then later Sonic games, I would say a 7.5, I don't know how GS could give it a 3.5 I am still blow away by that...

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coakroach

Ugh I'm sick of Sonic
    Just....enough already

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Karmum

I wish SEGA would take the Mega Man 9 route and publish a new game with the old formula.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#8  Edited By vigorousjammer

I wouldn't mind if Sega did that Karmum... but I still think the NEXT Sonic game has potential, because they ALMOST got it right this time! Like Shadow2K6 said, it's a lot better than Heroes, Shadow, and 2006...
    If they even just took out the Warehog levels I'd pay full price for it, a full $60 bucks for a Sonic game! when was the last time you could say something like that?

if they even just get it to the level of Sonic Adventure 2, i'd be happy... cause at least that game was still somewhat FUN.
    Sonic 2010 is going to be an interesting game, I bet.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I had a lot of fun with the demo. After a couple playthroughs I wondered to myself why Unleashed is as hated as the rest, and then I remembered the whole Werehog takes up 2/3s of the game thing.

Shitlisted

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I actually agree, Jammer. 

The daytime level shows a lot of promise.  The current Sonic Team might not be talented at all, but through trial-and-error, they're getting closer.  In my opinion, the Wii Sonic game (something about the Seven Rings?) was pretty solid. 

Again, I haven't played anything outside the demo, and I'm sure the Werehog levels are abysmal, at best.  But there's a sense that the design team is naturally swaying back to the old Sonic philosophy.  A good thing, I think.  It's just a shame it's taken this long and there has been little tangible progress.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The demo wasn't too shabby, but they're really showing their hand by not including a smidgen of the werehog levels which I am under the assumption is the majority of the game.

Fuck that

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

I loved the hell out of the daytime levels but am in the same boat as a lot of people when it comes to the werehog.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

The Werehog stuff isn't so bad, really. Especially once you level up your skills so that even the strongest enemies in the game can go down in three or so hits. It only really sucks early on, when killing enemies takes forever. It's not as good as the Daytime stuff, but I honestly don't mind the Werehog.

Screw the reviewers, though. I have no idea what they're on. From what most people have told me the Wii version isn't as good as the 360/PS3 version. I think some people say it has better controls, but the levels themselves aren't as good, and it's missing a lot of content from the 360/PS3 version.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By kush

I just played the demo and I thought it was alright...a few moments where I felt things could have been done better, but the points where you're really speeding through the level were quite fun.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Ugh....

^^^Exact words used after playing demo

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kush
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "Ugh....

^^^Exact words used after playing demo"
    Isn't that technically just one word...
    Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Yzzerdd
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "Ugh....

"Ugh....

^^^Exact word used after reading your post"
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Kush said:
    "BlackWaterCO said:
    "Ugh....

Isn't that technically just one word..."
    It's technically just a sound, isn't it?
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I've been playing the demo for a few days now on my PS3, and I have to say that I am impressed with Sonic Teams efforts. Though I was not initially very enthusiastic about the game for the first few runs through the demo, it slowly grew on me the more I played through it. It's one of those games were it takes a while to really get a feel for how the game controls and works (which I am still working on somewhat), but I can see that if one really spends time with the game and gets the hang of it, you can really have a good time with it. 

Visually the game looks excellent, and the new hedgehog engine is something that I think will get better with time as more games are developed for it. I did notice that there seems to be a lot of trial and error with some of the level that I played through, though I don't really mind it so much because of my inner mega man fan, but to others it may be frustrating. All in all, I would recommend giving this demo a shot, and to spend time with it and give it a chance like I did. It's very trial and error based, so if that doesn't bother you, go ahead and download the demo. 
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

No. Kill the hedgehog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.