Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimEarth: The Living Planet

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released 1990

Somewhat similar to the hit Maxis game SimCity, SimEarth: The Living Planet gives the player complete control of a planet, and must find a way to develop sentient life.

Has anyone else even played this game?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jrad

I find it rather disappointing no one seems to have any idea what SimEarth is; it truly is a gem among sims (from this era...).

CacototheDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CacototheDemon

I own the PC version, and rented the SNES version.  imo I prefer the SNES version, as there is a definite ending there.  The final planet of the SNES's scenario mode was a pain until I found out you could boil over all the water on the planet and then let stuff grow and civilization flourish on the planet.  It was just about impossible to complete it with all the planet's water intact.  I'm not sure if anyone managed to complete it with all the planet's water intact or not.

The hard scenarios was really just Mars, and maybe even Venus.  The first scenarios could be completed through using the Monolith, and subsequent planets after Venus give you enough time to maintain the atmosphere, grow enough living plants, add enough lifeforms and civilization.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By dagas

Can this game be played today on a modern Vista 64-bit PC through some emulator or something? This and SimLife seems a lot more interesting than Spore which was a dissapointment at least IMO.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By SpawnMan

I played this when I was younger and had no idea what what going on. I remember unleashing tsunamis and hurricanes again and again after my attempts to populate the earth with dinosaurs failed.

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By HawkSE
    @SpawnMan said:
    " I played this when I was younger and had no idea what what going on. I remember unleashing tsunamis and hurricanes again and again after my attempts to populate the earth with dinosaurs failed. "
    That's pretty much was what I did. I was 7 or 8 when I played this. 

I also played SimFarm and SimCity.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

I play this every now and then on my PC. I love making resource divides between large cities and seeing a whole city change to a combat unit to wipe out anything in it's path to get to that one block of lush jungle. Also: space faring mollusks are awesome.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @HawkxSx said:
    " @SpawnMan said:
    " I played this when I was younger and had no idea what what going on. I remember unleashing tsunamis and hurricanes again and again after my attempts to populate the earth with dinosaurs failed. "
    That's pretty much was what I did. I was 7 or 8 when I played this.  I also played SimFarm and SimCity. "
    Same here. I know how to play it now but most of the time I just faff about really. I still play SimCity 3000 as SimFarm is pretty rad too (though controllinig that damned plane was never easy and the music slowly drove you insane).
    erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By erinfizz

Yep. I played this a ton. I don't think I ever fully understood it, but still thought it was really neat.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I rented the SNES version back in the day.  Didn't really play it much or think it was great.  More of a Sim City / Sim Ant person myself.

Only real thing is I like how they had 'ages' of mankind, the information age, nanotech age, and the monolith item.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I played it back in the day. Kinda sucked if you asked me. Sim City was waay awesome, and Sim Ant was also pretty fun. This was... meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

SimEarth was a great idea, but I thought the execution was terrible. Spore, as a revisit to that idea, is as a whole a better game, if still a bit of a disappointment.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nukesniper

I played it, but was a bit to young to get it or care enough. Everyone who started to live on my planet died from something that seemed out of my control. That is my experience with SimEarth...

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By russcat
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Yeah I played it back in the day. Kinda sucked if you asked me. Sim City was waay awesome, and Sim Ant was also pretty fun. This was... meh. "
    Agreed. This was by far the most disappointing sim game for me and my siblings when we bought it.
    juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By juanvaldes

Of course. Actually had to okay the disposing of all my old game manuals when I was home last. Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Earth, Sim City 2k (still got my free shirt too), etc etc. Miss the days when manuals actually held information, let alone minor lessons. Sim Ant covered biology, Sim Earth covered geology, Civilization was part history book, Railroad Tycoon covered locomotive engine bios. Good times good times.  

So sad that all that gets cranked out these days are Sims expansions and abominations of the Sim City francise. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.