Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 01, 2009

Persona 3 Portable is an enhanced port of Persona 3 for PSP. New features include an additional female protagonist as well as certain gameplay adjustments introduced in Persona 4.

Why Persona 3: PSP is one of the best games I've ever played.

Thunderstarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Thunderstarter

Ever.

Well, I got my hands on a copy of P3P four days ago and can't put the game down. I guess that's not saying TOO much, because I do that with most every new game that I buy if it's good.

Well, P3P is special, because it's amazing.

It’s as if Atlus decided to reach into my brain and come up with my idea of the perfect game. They messed with it a tiny bit, but for the most part it’s everything I look for in a game.

Now, I’m only in August (I guess I shouldn’t say ONLY…can you tell that I play too much?) and I can already tell that this story is NOT what it seems to be, and that would normally be a turn-off. I would like to try and predict it, but I can’t, because the game isn’t foreshadowing anything or even giving me a hint of the events to come. The only clues that I have to the story is Pharos’ constant talking about “The End” and the beginning of the game, where it said that I only have one year to do something…

The best part about this game is the characters. Admittedly the story has done too much for me right now (I know that I still have a LOT of gameplay to go) but the characters have done SO much for me. I feel like I KNOW these people. Not just the people in my party, either, but the Slinks, as well! What Atlus has done here is create a world with believable characters that I have yet to see in any other RPG. It’s creepy, when I play through the days it’s almost like I’m living my own life…

The gameplay is great, too. The only problem I have with the game is that it’s a bit unforgiving (I went 6 floors into Tartarus to save a person one night, forgot to save, and the next day was the dark hour. I lost the battle there) and it’s frustrating to have to re-do everything again.

The whole idea of a Persona was fascinating to me, as well. Having to “let go” of yourself in order to use it was pretty intense, the characters pulling the trigger to their heads is always intense. The customization is great, too. I spend a lot of times seeing what personas I can get through fusion (and trying to abuse my SLinks in the process) and trying to get the perfect persona.

The game can be hilarious too. My favorite humor-oriented part of the game so far is when Junpei convinces Akihiko and yourself to start trying to pick up chicks. I almost died laughing when they tried to pick up the old woman by accident.

There’s so much more in the game than what I’ve said…it’s just that the game works so perfectly with itself. The opening is also great…

P3P is my favorite game of 2010 so far.

So far, so good.

Thunderstarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Thunderstarter

Ever.

Well, I got my hands on a copy of P3P four days ago and can't put the game down. I guess that's not saying TOO much, because I do that with most every new game that I buy if it's good.

Well, P3P is special, because it's amazing.

It’s as if Atlus decided to reach into my brain and come up with my idea of the perfect game. They messed with it a tiny bit, but for the most part it’s everything I look for in a game.

Now, I’m only in August (I guess I shouldn’t say ONLY…can you tell that I play too much?) and I can already tell that this story is NOT what it seems to be, and that would normally be a turn-off. I would like to try and predict it, but I can’t, because the game isn’t foreshadowing anything or even giving me a hint of the events to come. The only clues that I have to the story is Pharos’ constant talking about “The End” and the beginning of the game, where it said that I only have one year to do something…

The best part about this game is the characters. Admittedly the story has done too much for me right now (I know that I still have a LOT of gameplay to go) but the characters have done SO much for me. I feel like I KNOW these people. Not just the people in my party, either, but the Slinks, as well! What Atlus has done here is create a world with believable characters that I have yet to see in any other RPG. It’s creepy, when I play through the days it’s almost like I’m living my own life…

The gameplay is great, too. The only problem I have with the game is that it’s a bit unforgiving (I went 6 floors into Tartarus to save a person one night, forgot to save, and the next day was the dark hour. I lost the battle there) and it’s frustrating to have to re-do everything again.

The whole idea of a Persona was fascinating to me, as well. Having to “let go” of yourself in order to use it was pretty intense, the characters pulling the trigger to their heads is always intense. The customization is great, too. I spend a lot of times seeing what personas I can get through fusion (and trying to abuse my SLinks in the process) and trying to get the perfect persona.

The game can be hilarious too. My favorite humor-oriented part of the game so far is when Junpei convinces Akihiko and yourself to start trying to pick up chicks. I almost died laughing when they tried to pick up the old woman by accident.

There’s so much more in the game than what I’ve said…it’s just that the game works so perfectly with itself. The opening is also great…

P3P is my favorite game of 2010 so far.

So far, so good.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

I completely agree. These qualities are all the reasons I loved Persona 4, and they're also the reasons I have ordered Persona 3 FES (I don't have a PSP) on Amazon.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Have you played P3 FES on the PS2 before? Although I really, really like P3P, after having played Persona 4 it feels like Atlus were trying to wedge in a few things into P3P. Stuff like the enhanced combat works but because of story constraints, I feel like the social links just didn't implement well into the combat the way P4 did.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

I played the PS2 version, Persona 3 FES and it's in my top 5 games ever, so I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  I don't have a PSP yet, so I'm going to have to wait on P3P, but I know I'll get around to it someday and I look forward to the experience.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

Anime. 
    Ugh.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By c1337us

I have P3P too and its not even as good as the PS2 version let alone one of the best game ever in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I am still enjoying it a lot but I still think its a pretty inferior version though the option to change to the female main character was very interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@Thunderstarter said:
    "My favorite humor-oriented part of the game so far is when Junpei convinces Akihiko and yourself to start trying to pick up chicks. I almost died laughing when they tried to pick up the old woman by accident.  "
    Huh...
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By luce

Eh...Its not better than Persona 4 imo

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Kowbrainz said:
    " @Thunderstarter said:
    "My favorite humor-oriented part of the game so far is when Junpei convinces Akihiko and yourself to start trying to pick up chicks. I almost died laughing when they tried to pick up the old woman by accident.  "
    Huh... "
    lol I noticed that too :P 

I agree, it is a good game, probably my favorite ever. I've seen a lot of people criticizing the combat and the repetitive soundtrack, etc. but that never really bothered me at all. It's just a ton of fun to play, it sucks that replaying it will never be as good as playing it for the first time though.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Apparently, you haven't played this:

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Catolf
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " Anime. Ugh. "
    You again? Do you hang around JRPG threads waiting for the moment to state your hate or something? That's sad.

I agree with everything said, It feels like my P3 obsession of years back has resurfaced with p3P ATLUS has not disappointed.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By mosdl

Enjoying P3P a lot as well (never played a Persona game before) - time for a ps3 Persona Atlus!

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By lead_farmer
    @mosdl said:
    " time for a ps3 Persona Atlus! "
    Yes please.
    captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By captjim

only game that ever made me cry. i'm friggin' in love with it now.

now i just have to finish persona 4...

wonder when they'll start showing off persona 5? it's essentially been announced but there hasn't been anything in the way of previews...or, really, anything.

ALSO SOMEONE ANSWER THIS AND YOU'LL BE MY BEST PAL EVER: if the only version of persona 3 i have is the psp one, is FES worth it?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @captjim: FES is not worth it if you have P3P unless you care about the presentation of the game (cutscenes, character 3D animation, walking around instead of navigating menus...), the "epilogue" that is The Answer (you can just watch Youtube clips for the story) and a small part of the ending of the main game (wraps up social links, not very important).
    captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captjim
    @FluxWaveZ: oh, the only thing i really know about the answer is that it's supposed to be hard as fuck so i'll just find the youtubes of it and spare myself the trouble and the cash. thanks NEW BEST PAL.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuistisTrepe
    @c1337us said:
    " I have P3P too and its not even as good as the PS2 version let alone one of the best game ever in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I am still enjoying it a lot but I still think its a pretty inferior version though the option to change to the female main character was very interesting. "
    That's strange. P3P is generally heralded as the definitive version of P3.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @QuistisTrepe said:
    " That's strange. P3P is generally heralded as the definitive version of P3. "
    I don't think that's true. From what I've seen, most people recommend P3FES over P3P if you haven't played the game at all.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikkaQ
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @QuistisTrepe said:
    " That's strange. P3P is generally heralded as the definitive version of P3. "
    I don't think that's true. From what I've seen, most people recommend P3FES over P3P if you haven't played the game at all. "
    I would recommend P3P over FES due to the battle system updates. The PS2 game is nearly unplayable if you haven't played it since it was new... controlling your party is something one can get really used to, and it makes the old game feel really outdated. Also I think it's a more fun game to play if you're not wasting time running from one place to another, I think having the real world being controlled by a cursor and models being replaced by drawings was an improvement. Someone without the patience for a Persona game might find some fun here.  Also I think the persona games translate really damn well into a portable format, better than a lot of PS2 "Down" ports.  

The game to recommend to a first timer honestly comes down to whatever console you have. But I'd tell them to get the PSP version if they could, I can safely call it the definitive version. 
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mcfart

Yeah but in P3P you can't run around the city, and you dont get the sick intro either. FInally, you don't get The Answer, which gets really awesome near the end.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuistisTrepe
    @Mcfart said:
    " Yeah but in P3P you can't run around the city, and you dont get the sick intro either. FInally, you don't get The Answer, which gets really awesome near the end. "
    I can deal with saving time by needlessly running around and a different version of an ending isn't going to entice me to play FES when I can catch The Answer on You Tube.
    slackrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slackrabbit

I have both Ps2Fes and P3P

I love both for different reasons.
    PS2 Persona 3 Fes is (for me) a weekend lay on the  couch, booze cigarettes and chill affair....nice easy tactical while the wife is out shopping or with her friends, or when I was at College a semester/ term / summer break / post exams affair.

P3P  is faster and a typical psp type game - on the bus, tube, a long plane trip, at lunchtime and maybe a few hardcore hours at home. The mechanics and story are there; but Atlus know you don't have a time to run around the school / town and so the menu systems is very cool.
    Either way both a great, for their respective 'situational / entrainment environments'.
    As for comparing to Persona 4, because it is a newer version I think its a bit unfair to compare it to P3p even though some of the code has been chucked in. 
    Its a newer game and the upgrades and speed improvements  made to it compared to Persona 3 means that if your want to enjoy it, play it last.
    As for Persona 5,  I would say release it on everything. Imagine P5 on a quad-core tablet, PS3 , 360 etc - any way you cut it, it can only bring more people in to the fold and give the firm more money to make future versions better. 

ArminJrpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArminJrpg

Guys believe me,Persona 3 Portable is COMPLETELY different game from P3.really,the mood and feel is 100 Percent Different.P3P is a Different game for me,surely best I have Ever,played,becuz what Thunderstarter said,its REAL. characters,that real life system,Everything is real.ah and you dont see ugly 3d models talking with eachoter like P3/Fes/P4,but anime sprites talking with YOU

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.