Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

The Shenmue Showdown Speedrun by puri_puri

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

I guess I've been looking for someway to bring this up or share it, and with the ER up and running it seems a good a time as any. But one of my favorite discoveries from the likes of AGDQ and SGDQ would be puri_puri's Shenmue Showdown where he speedruns Shenmue I and II at the same time.

He explains it in the video but it's his attempt to somehow involve Shenmue I in a marathon setting since there is no way to skip time ahead and optimum strategies involve waiting for time to pass to reach the next event... which as you can guess isn't very interesting to watch.

Shenmue Showdown

Fair warning the video runs 8 and a half hours, but I found it really entertaining to see him juggle the two games and how their events run together. It's also nicely narrated with lots of explanations since the video was intended as a pitch for the RPG Limit Break marathon. There are some rough spots when the games don't like to cooperate with some battles, but I enjoyed it.

So if you'd like to see Shenmue I and II in the showdown, or you have a lot of time and nothing else to do, I recommend it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Shenmue is not a good video game to watch or play.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I guess I've been looking for someway to bring this up or share it, and with the ER up and running it seems a good a time as any. But one of my favorite discoveries from the likes of AGDQ and SGDQ would be puri_puri's Shenmue Showdown where he speedruns Shenmue I and II at the same time.

He explains it in the video but it's his attempt to somehow involve Shenmue I in a marathon setting since there is no way to skip time ahead and optimum strategies involve waiting for time to pass to reach the next event... which as you can guess isn't very interesting to watch.

Shenmue Showdown

Fair warning the video runs 8 and a half hours, but I found it really entertaining to see him juggle the two games and how their events run together. It's also nicely narrated with lots of explanations since the video was intended as a pitch for the RPG Limit Break marathon. There are some rough spots when the games don't like to cooperate with some battles, but I enjoyed it.

So if you'd like to see Shenmue I and II in the showdown, or you have a lot of time and nothing else to do, I recommend it.

Hey, thanks. I might watch that, but I have to say Vinny, Alex and Dan's endurance run is prompting me to pull out my old Dreamcast to play the game myself again.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty neat, I like "gimmicky" speed runs like this. At one of the Games Done Quick events a while ago, two guys speedran Goldeneye with the two controllers control scheme. It was also super neat.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

On the one hand, I was saying to myself, I dunno if I want to spoil the ER by seeing how Shenmue ends like that. On the other hand... I have yet to see anything about Shenmue that I'd care if it were spoiled.

Kvel2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So the east guys got only 20min out of 8 hours done...? This is not going to end well.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Shenmue is not a good video game to watch or play.

Ah cool, thanks man. It's a game I enjoyed as a teenager and to this day but you've shown me the light. Fuck Shenmue.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: Glad to help you see the error in your ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.