Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Retro Studios

Company »

Retro Studios is a Nintendo-owned developer. Their first game was Metroid Prime, a first-person reimagining of the Metroid franchise. More recently, they revived the Donkey Kong Country series in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Retro Studios President on Developing for Nintendo

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro
    Retro Studios president Michael Kelbaugh has been speaking to Gamasutra about developing for Nintendo. 

"When asked what has enabled the team to transform into a studio that can develop Nintendo franchises like Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, Kelbaugh says, "It's patience, mentorship -- a lot of mentorship, a lot of help from our friends at Nintendo." 

Staff is also key. "It's investing in the right people. It takes time... You have to hire people that are motivated by making quality product, not by how many units they sell.

"There's not a book that I could say, 'Read this and you'll know how to make Nintendo games.' You learn how to do it by experience -- experience and mentorship -- That's really the only way you do it," he says.

"So it's really as simple as that, but it's not simple at all. It takes a lot of work. Ten, years, well 12 years, and we've made a lot of progress, but we don't have it down yet. We still have a lot to learn, you know. It changes."

The full insightful interview is available here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6392/turning_nintendo_the_donkey_kong_.php
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Would love to see Retro make another DK game or something original for Nintendo.  Personally, I think DKCR is the best game they have ever made.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

Even though they already made 3, I very much want to see a new Metroid Prime game.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I wonder what they got up their sleeve for Nintendo's next console. As a developer, they are yummy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Afroman269 said:
    Even though they already made 3, I very much want to see a new Metroid Prime game.
    I'd rather see them take on something new.  After spending the better part of a decade on three separate Metroid Prime games and a compilation, they could really use a break from it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    They made the same Metroid game three times so they definitely learned the Nintendo way of doing things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.