Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Project X Zone

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 11, 2012

Capcom, Sega, and Namco team up for this crossover strategy RPG for the 3DS using some of their most iconic characters. A spiritual sequel to Namco X Capcom.

So how does this game work?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So I just beat the Project X Zone demo that came out today on eShop and as one of my most anticipated games for the 3DS I was really excited to play it. I don't care much Namco's or Sega's characters but Capcom has motherfucking Mega Man X. Not Volnut Mega Man or classic Mega Man but finally goddamn X. I thought the game was awesome based off that demo, and I'm trying to scrounge up enough cash so I can pre-order and get that rad limited edition.

I'm curious though as to how the story mode and party systems work. Is the game mission based and can I customize my party so that say, I have X at all times? Or can I only do that in certain parts of the story? This has kinda been bugging me lately and I'm too tired and lack the drive to look into it myself.

Thanks!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By morningstar

I would like to know this also. Im considering a pre order at the moment. Did you have fun with the demo then? =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar said:

I would like to know this also. Im considering a pre order at the moment. Did you have fun with the demo then? =)

Hell yeah I did. The specials were AWESOME and having a bunch of support attacks come in while you are attacking the enemy is a whole new kind of crazy. Insane how they managed to localize it.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I too have been interested about this game but have been unable to find a whole lot about the game, except it's crazy specials.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'm going to bump this post cause I'm interested as well. Played a few of Namco x Capcom back in the day enjoyed the time I had with it so kind of wondering if its similar.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just beat the Project X Zone demo that came out today on eShop and as one of my most anticipated games for the 3DS I was really excited to play it. I don't care much Namco's or Sega's characters but Capcom has motherfucking Mega Man X. Not Volnut Mega Man or classic Mega Man but finally goddamn X. I thought the game was awesome based off that demo, and I'm trying to scrounge up enough cash so I can pre-order and get that rad limited edition.

I'm curious though as to how the story mode and party systems work. Is the game mission based and can I customize my party so that say, I have X at all times? Or can I only do that in certain parts of the story? This has kinda been bugging me lately and I'm too tired and lack the drive to look into it myself.

Thanks!

Okay so I've only played a few of the Prologue missions, so I'm hardly an expert. So far it's been a few quick battles, introducing characters and the mechanics of the game (there's also a more detailed tutorial you can access during battle that explains a ton of stuff). There doesn't seem to be a map like Fire Emblem. The game just moves along, level to level (again only on the Prologue so this may change). So far it's been specific characters for each battle, so no opportunities to make/form a party of my own. I've been able to assign a Solo character to my pairings so far, but nothing like putting Chun-Li with Dante or something. I think the pairs are set in stone (or dictated by the story). The solo guys you can mix and match and throw them with whatever pair you want, and each one provides certain benefits.

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
    midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By midnightgreen20

Ok so I have the game as well and have a decent understanding about the mechanics of the game. In a simple sense, battle runs in an action-style of a game, where you have several attacks and use button prompts to bring them out. Each team has up to 5 attacks, along with a solo character to do an extra attack. If you manage to use all of your different attacks each turn, you're granted one more attack. If you time the next attack right before the enemy hits the ground, you score critical hits.

You also can have other pairs come in for an additional attack if units are one space apart from each other, much like how Fire Emblem: Awakening does it's pairing system. Whenever you have your team and either a solo or support team attack and cause lots of craziness, you get what are called cross attacks that hold the enemy in place and score bonus XP. Timing is key in this game, so take the time to learn how all attacks work because it is possible to call in an attack from wherever and miss a few hits due to poor timing.

Now for XP... that isn't experience. These are what are called cross points. They are used as MP for skills, as well as allow you to either counter or defend an enemy attack. Also, having 100% XP allows you to use super moves, which obviously cause tons of damage. Managing XP is very critical in this game, as it is shared among all units, so you need to decide when to spend it and how. Simply holding onto it just to get a super can lead you into trouble. But one interesting thing is that with those cross attacks, you can gain additional XP so that you can have up to a max of 150%. Normally, all standard attacks and items max you out at 100%, but the cross attacks are the only way to go beyond the threshold, so do try and get that as often as possible.

One final thing to note is that with 100% XP, you can also use multi-attacks. These attacks allow you to target multiple units and are quite powerful. I just got introduced to it, and only 1 unit has this unlocked, but from what the game seems to hint at is that some or maybe all units eventually unlock this attack through leveling up.

This is all that I have gathered thus far. A lot of reviews mention that there isn't a lot of strategy involved in this game, but with all that I have said above, I beg to differ. Seems like this game has more going on in it, but the game doesn't blatantly call out its subtleties. If there are any other questions on it, I'd be glad to try to answer.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From playing the demo a few weeks ago, I could have sworn that XP was per pairing, not shared. Are you sure about that (or did I misunderstand your post)? Of course maybe I'm just misremembering.

Re skills, how important are they? The first time through the demo I didn't even know about them and I didn't have trouble clearing it; the second time through I was trying to optimize strategy and found a couple useful ones (notably one support character had a skill to pierce armour, which made killing the boss quite a bit quicker). Do you regularly use skills as you play the game?

Also, are there multiple difficulties in the game? The demo was definitely on the easy side, for example criticals were fun to try and get but ultimately they didn't make a huge difference AFAICT, aside from the boss each enemy went down in one or two encounters (often before they even got their own turn). I'd assume that the demo was easier than the actual game; is that accurate?

Finally, is there an option for changing the voice language? I don't recall if the demo had this or not.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Barrabas

@quantris said:

From playing the demo a few weeks ago, I could have sworn that XP was per pairing, not shared. Are you sure about that (or did I misunderstand your post)? Of course maybe I'm just misremembering.

Re skills, how important are they? The first time through the demo I didn't even know about them and I didn't have trouble clearing it; the second time through I was trying to optimize strategy and found a couple useful ones (notably one support character had a skill to pierce armour, which made killing the boss quite a bit quicker). Do you regularly use skills as you play the game?

Also, are there multiple difficulties in the game? The demo was definitely on the easy side, for example criticals were fun to try and get but ultimately they didn't make a huge difference AFAICT, aside from the boss each enemy went down in one or two encounters (often before they even got their own turn). I'd assume that the demo was easier than the actual game; is that accurate?

Finally, is there an option for changing the voice language? I don't recall if the demo had this or not.

I barely touch the skills. Maybe they would be more useful if the game was harder, but so far it's super super easy. Granted I'm on chapter 16 (about 14 hours in), and having looked it up there seems to be about 40 of them so it could difficulty spike at some point. I'm kind of hoping it does.

As for the other questions there are no difficulty or language options. At least yet. The options menu in game has two selections marked (?????) that I can't pick yet so maybe there's something that can be unlocked.

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
    midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: XP was shared, but remember that they aren't exp. which is per pairing. As far as skills go, they can be helpful. Some characters have healing skills, buffs to attack, etc. I'm still early in the game so I don't know how extensive the skills list is and what effects they have, but I imagine they can be useful in the right time.

Those two options that are left locked in the options I'll have to look into, but I imagine that there could be a hard mode, which I totally would play again because for now I'm doing pretty well as it is.

Sikozu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game seems like fun, a bit unique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.