Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

So how do the pokemon games differ?

Stryfeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stryfeman

Call me a philistine or whatever, but it seems to me that every single Pokemon game is exactly the same apart from a new map layout and new pokemon. Its always wake up in your room go downstairs talk to your mildly retarded mother, go speak to the Prof, pick a fire/grass/water type pokemon, go on a journey to get badges beat the elite 4 and thwart team X. Combat hasn't changed to my mind, everything looks exactly the same, its just so stale to me.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

They differ very little.  Just a couple improvements or additions per release.

Somehow doesn't stop me from getting excited for some impossible reason though.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By slax

In Gold and Silver there aren't 8 gyms there are 16! Bam!
    I mean in those terms you are right, but it's the way they are executed and how addicting the gameplay is. It's not really about the story.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mcfart

Gold/Silver/Crystal were actually had the most changes. Gold/Silver added Dark and Steel pokemon, which both resisted/nulled Psychic, taking away Psychic's OPness. Steel is also the only type that resists Dragon type moves. They both also cleaned up the interface...Red/Blue DID NOT include move descriptions in any shape or form, so you had no way of knowing wheather Surf or Hydro Pump was stronger...or how Dream Eater worked.

Crystal added in the Battle Tower, a competitive battleing scene against equally leveled AI, and was further refined in newer Pokemon games.

Finally, Gold/Silver added the day/night cycle, allowing for catching different pokemon at different times of day.

The only major change after Gold/Silver was in Pearl/Diamond , where every move specifically states whether it's a special or physical type move. For example, previously, all Ghost type moves were considered Physical. However, most of the Ghost types did not have a high Attack stat. Now, moves like Shadow Ball are special type, allowing ghosts and Alakazam to use it with their high Special Attack, and counter other Ghost types.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

The physical/special attack switch mentioned above was the biggest change to the series since the day/night cycle. Beyond that, there have not been a whole lot of innovations. That might look like a little detail, but it did make a whole world of difference in terms of gameplay.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thrillhouse87
    @AndrewB:  So does the physical/special attack switch stay in the new remakes, or do they work like the original gold and silver?
    pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By pakx
    @Stryfeman said:
    " Call me a philistine or whatever, but it seems to me that every single Pokemon game is exactly the same apart from a new map layout and new pokemon. Its always wake up in your room go downstairs talk to your mildly retarded mother, go speak to the Prof, pick a fire/grass/water type pokemon, go on a journey to get badges beat the elite 4 and thwart team X. Combat hasn't changed to my mind, everything looks exactly the same, its just so stale to me. "
    it "seems" to you? newsflash, you havent figured anything out so much as pointed out the blatantly obvious.

Anyway, the pokemon games are incredibly formulaic, just like every other Nintendo property, and like every nintendo property, that rigid formula has had an inexplicable longevity amongst it's fans.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

Hey cool man you're right. *leaves to play more soulsilver

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I would say that they don't differ much at all because so many people have come back to buy them again and again so they're trying to recreate the original blue and red for the most part.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

Silver and Gold have 2 regions!!!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB
    @Thrillhouse87 said:
    " @AndrewB:  So does the physical/special attack switch stay in the new remakes, or do they work like the original gold and silver? "
    Yeah, its the newer Diamon/Pearl systems.
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By krystians

Then I have a very basic question for you, which sorry to say I don't know the answer to. But what is the difference between the 2 new games that just came out, and which one should I get.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aetos
    @krystians: Just like all Pokemon games it depends on which legendary pokemon you want (the ones shown on the box art). Other than that the two are normally the same.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Tactical_Kill: In Silver and Gold you could get both legendaries. The version you had just determined which you could obtain first and their levels. Along with that there is always the few Pokemon you can't catch in each version. 

Anyway, as for how the series differ it is all about the battle mechanics. While on the surface each game is the same when you dig into the mechanics they add a bunch of stuff each new generation. However, the biggest series change came with gold/silver/crystal -> ruby/sapphire. They completely redesigned how EVs work (which I assure even if 90% of you don't know what they are they still effect your game in good and bad ways) and included natures which added a ridiculous level of customization to your Pokemon. It is also why (logically speaking anyway) you can't trade your GB/GBC Pokemon to your GBA/DS Pokemon since the "inner working numbers" are completely different.  

It is probably a safe assumption the next generation that appears on the successor to the DS may redo things to the degree Ruby/Sapphire did and you will not be able to trade your Pokemon from the DS games to the DS2 games and it will be Ruby/Sapphire all over again where we have very limited access to the obtainable Pokemon and have to wait for spinoffs (such as Colosseum) to obtain a lot of specific Pokemon.
    Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are essentially fourth generation remakes of the best Pokemon games in the series. The thing about every new remake is that there is actually huge additions to each game that most people can just completely miss. There's a bloody meta-game in Pokemon now. METAAAAAAA!

Michae1G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Michae1G
    @animateria said:
    " They differ very little.  Just a couple improvements or additions per release. Somehow doesn't stop me from getting excited for some impossible reason though. "
    Couldn't put it better myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.